2018+ Softail Models Breakout

18 Heritages for sale

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 09:48 AM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts
Default 18 Heritages for sale

I've been looking at used 2018 Heritage Softail for sale around the area and within my location, south east Alabama, there are 3 dozen examples at the dealerships within 100 mile radius of me. I'm in a low population density area not big city with multiple dealerships. Most have 1-2K, the whole array of colors, some modified, some appear stock. (difficult to tell by most ads what additional equipment is on them). Why so many? A certain NW FL dealer has almost a dozen there. I know some people change bikes like most people change underwear and a lot of purchases are emotional spur of the moment. Is there something inherent to the 2018 Heritage that causes dissatisfaction after such a short time? I know the new softail frame is different and often new models have problems or growing pains. Is the 18 Heritage something to avoid or is this just the trend of ownership today. I'm thinking of selling/trading my 2013 Fatboy for the newer Heritage. Sold my touring but want a little more distance comfort that the Fatboy offers.

Old 04-25-2019, 01:15 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,149 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by Chunker
I've been looking at used 2018 Heritage Softail for sale around the area and within my location, south east Alabama, there are 3 dozen examples at the dealerships within 100 mile radius of me. I'm in a low population density area not big city with multiple dealerships. Most have 1-2K, the whole array of colors, some modified, some appear stock. (difficult to tell by most ads what additional equipment is on them). Why so many? A certain NW FL dealer has almost a dozen there. I know some people change bikes like most people change underwear and a lot of purchases are emotional spur of the moment. Is there something inherent to the 2018 Heritage that causes dissatisfaction after such a short time? I know the new softail frame is different and often new models have problems or growing pains. Is the 18 Heritage something to avoid or is this just the trend of ownership today. I'm thinking of selling/trading my 2013 Fatboy for the newer Heritage. Sold my touring but want a little more distance comfort that the Fatboy offers.
I sat out the initial buying craze when the new models hit because I'm cheap and wanted to let others take care of the initial depreciation hit. So, I just got around to snagging a low mileage 2018 Heritage just recently. I might have waited longer, but the Mrs. wanted more comfortable accommodations than what my Nightster could provide. I've been following the new softail models since their release. In addition to being cheap, I wanted to see a little history accumulate with them to see how they were shaking out before I committed to one. I haven't seen/read many complaints about the 2018 Heritages or other Softails. Seems like a decent used one is a pretty good/safe bet.

Now the touring models might be a different story - with all the migration and sumping issues that have been reported on them.

Old 04-25-2019, 01:36 PM
sandrooney
Road Master
Received 262 Likes on 176 Posts

My 18 Heritage 114 is the best Harley I have ever owned. The new mono shock is awesome.

Old 04-25-2019, 01:46 PM
Kawickrice
Elite HDF Member
Received 3,247 Likes on 1,517 Posts

I would venture to guess the North Florida dealer has so many because they are pulling every bike from other dealers getting ready for Panama Beach Rally. My local dealer sends all thier bikes up that way twice a year, same owners.

Old 04-26-2019, 12:17 AM
DonN
Road Warrior
Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

If you follow FB Heritage Classic 114 forum, it seems a lot of HC buyers were coming from pre M8 Road Kings and loved the way the HC rode. However, in the end, they seem to go back to the touring bikes after only a year.

Old 04-26-2019, 04:24 AM
FLSTC-Dave
Road Captain
Received 351 Likes on 188 Posts

I think it's due to the lack of getting "nice looking bike" comments that they thought they were going to get.

The following users liked this post:
kenny55 (04-26-2019)
Old 04-26-2019, 05:28 AM
sandrooney
Road Master
Received 262 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by FLSTC-Dave
I think it's due to the lack of getting "nice looking bike" comments that they thought they were going to get.
Man, do you really think that would be the reason someone would buy a bike? I can see that being a reason to build a custom show bike.

Old 04-26-2019, 10:16 AM
LXT
Road Master
Received 553 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by Chunker

As one poster said - most sit out the 1st year release, I gave the heritage a real good look & test rode it 3 or more times Dealer & friends, The bottom line is this - does it have more get up n go? yes out of the gate but once moving its not so much that it leaves a stock 103 that far behind, the handling is better as well the ground clearance - but...….. I think this come at a cost, a lot of standard items the Moco put on its predecessor have been removed for a lighter "feel"

Most put close to the weight back on after purchase because they realize their missing what the older heritage model provided, now looks, paint & that crap are all in ones wants so Ill leave that alone. the mono shock does add ride refinement but has had problems with mount bolts breaking( Ill take the RAP422s on an older model), the gas cap buzzes and the fake cap has fallen off, the gauge of the tins is considerably thinner, the electrical system is an open wound underneath the chassis just waiting for problems - overall the fit & finish is less than HD quality of the past and those saddlebags are a true joke!

I thought the old leather bags were limiting but the new ones are terrible & I cant express terrible enough, fill em up & the lids don't close, fill em just enough & while riding the lids open - basically there just for your riding gloves, a dew rag & a small cosmetic bag to freshen up on a long days haul (wife necessities) oh and don't even ask about all that lovely blacked out powder coat holding up...……….my buddies forks look terrible - so much that he is going to chrome lowers.

There are a bunch of 18`s at my Dealers as well some of the other local shops - the dealer word is - many of the older generation have bought for the lighter weight, the younger group who can afford it only sees the blacked out look & a bigger engine - most like myself see through all that & decided not to buy - The new Heritage is not selling very good is the bottom line - which sucks because I really like the heritage softail! hopefully the aftermarket can do something.

Old 04-26-2019, 10:20 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,352 Likes on 2,200 Posts

And around here, no one has any, new or used in stock...

Old 04-26-2019, 10:31 AM
CrBear
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,983 Likes on 1,656 Posts

My buddy rides a 14 Heritage. I've always loved his bike and the way it rode, indestructible... Doesn't have the lean angle my does. But the new ones with the 114 is a nice upgrade..

Quick Reply: 18 Heritages for sale