2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Sport glide - How long of a trip? and thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 06:40 AM
William Bishop
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sport glide - How long of a trip? and thoughts

I've been looking into trading my sportster in for a street glide or sport glide. Rode both on short test drives but curious how the sport glide does on longer trips. I'm really leaning tword the sport glide but curious about long trips and how they do.

Old 06-10-2019, 09:01 AM
Since 1968
Road Master
Received 449 Likes on 295 Posts

I haven't ridden a sport glide, but if you travel solo, I think you can take any motorcycle coast to coast. Two up is a different matter.....
I guess you're really inquiring about the level of comfort on long days, would love to hear more about seat upgrades for the softails.

Old 06-10-2019, 09:23 AM
wittangamo
Intermediate
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I’m sure someone with more saddle time will chime in, but I’ve done several 350-mile days with no issues. It’s more of a sport tourer than a lounge chair, but if the rear preload is dialed in correctly it’s a comfortable ride.

I have no problem with the stock seat. At 5’9”, I did feel the need to install 4” pullback risers for a more upright position. Sometime this summer I plan a 1,400 mile round trip, and I’m confident I’ll enjoy it!

As for saddle alternatives, there are plenty of threads here already. Most of those swapping either want a solo seat or more padding for a passenger. Saddlemen and Mustang are the most commonly recommended, and Revzilla can search by model to show you which will fit the Sport Glide.

Last edited by wittangamo; 06-10-2019 at 09:28 AM.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:08 PM
Cage Free
Tourer
Received 170 Likes on 97 Posts

I've done a couple 500+ mile days when I rode from Socal to AZ bike week. This is after adding apes to the bike. What I'll say is that in the new upright sitting position there tends to be slightly more pressure on the tail bone. But only slightly. On the way out I took a 1/2 hour break in Blythe and was never uncomfortable in any way. On the way home I only stopped long enough to get gas and after ~ 6 hours on the bike I was fidgeting just a little in the seat by the time I got home, but it was nowhere near the *** burn I used to get on my previous bike after 3 hours. I'm 5'10 about 190lbs. of solid beer and have the preload set a little soft at 1.5 but it's quite comfortable and I think the stock seat is really good.

At some point the plan is to switch to a Saddlemen renegade solo more for form than function. The bike has done everything I was hoping for when I bought it. Comfy out on the highway and a blast pretty much everywhere else.

Old 06-10-2019, 02:25 PM
William Bishop
6th Gear

Thanks for the info. Ill prob be using the bike 95% of the time in the city but occasionally wouldn't mind making some longer trips if viable. I'm 5'6" and felt more planted and a slightly smoother ride with the sport glide then the street glide. Just want to make sure id be ok on a occasional trip if I decided to do one.

Old 06-11-2019, 06:11 AM
MadMouser
Cruiser
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

I've got a 2500 mile trip planned for the first week of July, 350-450 mile days, so I'll report back after that.

Old 06-11-2019, 12:41 PM
William Bishop
6th Gear

Originally Posted by MadMouser
I've got a 2500 mile trip planned for the first week of July, 350-450 mile days, so I'll report back after that.
Let me know how it goes!

The following users liked this post:
MadMouser (06-11-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 01:00 PM
107" Vibrator
Intermediate
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I've done a little over 3500 miles in just over a month, and changed to the Sundowner 2up seat about 2 weeks in. The deeper backrest support is excellent, and I have do e several 300+ mile days with no discomfort. It's great in town, it's great on the highway and back roads alike. One thing I highly recommend is a highway bar, soft lowers, and a taller windscreen. Combined, they cut down on the wind from under the tank a LOT and make fatigue a distant memory.

Old 06-12-2019, 10:43 PM
Chicagowin
Advanced
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I went from a sportster 48 to a street glide. Don’t miss the 48 at all ride wise. The power, comfort and handling are all way better on the sportglide. Kind of miss the looks of the peanut tank, but not the frequent gas stops.

Old 06-13-2019, 08:25 PM
HuntWhenever
Road Warrior
Received 861 Likes on 466 Posts

I use mine for my daily commute (45 miles on-way) and occasional work trips. Recently rode from Wilmington, OH to Chattanooga, TN for a work trip. The bike was great. No stops except gas and supper. I have made modifications (windshield, saddle, floorboards...you can check out my previous posts).

The following users liked this post:
107" Vibrator (06-14-2019)

Quick Reply: Sport glide - How long of a trip? and thoughts