2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Picking Exhaust can be ---wait for it -- exhausting!

Old 06-11-2019, 11:19 AM
Sierra Nate
Road Master
Received 642 Likes on 260 Posts
Default Picking Exhaust can be ---wait for it -- exhausting!

Got my first Harley last year in April. Always wanted one...never had the funds/time/permission/attitude all at the same time. But that changed last year. Got the 2018 Heritage and love riding it. Only thing I really hate is the factory pipes.

But what to get to replace them? At the time I bought I didn't know anyone who had the M8 114 motor with aftermarket pipes so I could listen to different pipes and make a decision. Youtube is useless to me. It just doesn't sound the same coming from my laptop speakers as it does rolling down the street.

Then the big question...do I do slip-ons or full exhaust with a tuner. I don't feel like I need performance enhancements (don't take those stupid blue pills either - well- once...but that's another story).

So last night as I'm sitting in my living room by myself (wife worked late) with no adult supervision...I pulled the plug on a set of Vance and Hines eliminator 300 slip-ons. I figure they are cheap and easy to install and I'll get to hear MY bike with MY new pipes and see if I like them. If I don't, I'll replace them with something else and sell them used to recoup some of what I spent on them.

2 day shipping...should be here tomorrow! They have to sound better than what I have so I'm keeping fingers crossed I'm satisfied with the sound and just move on to enjoying the ride.

Old 06-11-2019, 11:40 AM
dnd31
Tourer
Received 1,018 Likes on 220 Posts

If you dont like the way they sound stock pull the baffles and remove the matting, reinstall baffles, it will soud better. If its still not to your liking pull the baffles and end caps completely and get a set of DK TTI 258's, sound the best of the 3 and the loudest

Old 06-11-2019, 02:16 PM
Martin Gallardo
Supporter
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

It can! I had some Tab Performance on mine until o got my propipe. I like the propipe a lot better but the tabs are a great option.

Old 06-12-2019, 06:13 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,508 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin Gallardo
It can! I had some Tab Performance on mine until o got my propipe. I like the propipe a lot better but the tabs are a great option.
I had Tabs also. They are excellent slip ons. Work with the factory shields and have interchangeable baffles, letting you tune the sound and performance. I went with the 1.75” for a not “eat bleeding” volume and good low end. Great choice. I’d still have them if I didn’t change them (makes sense somehow huh?) for the S&S 2:1.

Old 06-12-2019, 06:21 AM
Martin Gallardo
Supporter
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad
I had Tabs also. They are excellent slip ons. Work with the factory shields and have interchangeable baffles, letting you tune the sound and performance. I went with the 1.75” for a not “eat bleeding” volume and good low end. Great choice. I’d still have them if I didn’t change them (makes sense somehow huh?) for the S&S 2:1.
LOL...yeah...the zombie baffles...and several people described it like this....had a "bite" to them. They were way too loud so I swapped them out to the louvered ones also. I love the ProPipe with the comp baffle....Perfect for me.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:49 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

V&H and Tab are solid. I also recommend Cobra Neighbor Haters and Rinehart. All pretty reasonable $$$. I don’t think my Heritage needs a full system unless I decide to go true dual fishtail crazy or something. Current performance is perfect though.

Old 06-13-2019, 03:09 AM
DonN
Road Warrior
Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

Just keep an eye out on HD forum classifieds and on FB. I picked up my Bassani 2-1 for 1/3 of new. And they sound awesome.