Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   2018+ Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2018-softail-models-206/)
-   -   RGS to Heritage Classic (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2018-softail-models/1288182-rgs-to-heritage-classic.html)

leftyjm 06-13-2019 05:57 PM

RGS to Heritage Classic

I really like my RGS but don’t really ride it for what it’s made for. I do like the nimbleness of it even if it is a bigger bagger but just don’t ride it for what it’s made for......Touring. Therefore I’m thinking of going with a new Heritage with the 107, don’t need the bigger engine.
Has anybody else done this? Looking for opinions and advice.
Thanks

paulmj 06-13-2019 06:42 PM

I’ve just gone from a SGS to a Deluxe. The Deluxe is superior in every way aside from wind protection at speed (and that can be addressed). No regrets.

Thingfish 06-13-2019 07:08 PM

I went from a Road King to my Heritage. Zero regrets. The new Heritage handles much better and the lighter weight makes it easy and fun around town and tight spots. Very nimble and a perfect everyday ride in my opinion.

Ron517 06-14-2019 07:57 AM

I did the opposite of Thingfish. Coming off 7 years on a Dyna I was dead set on a 2018 Heritage until I rode a 2017 RK. The Road King handles just as well in town or better, has the classic look I wanted without all the nonsense up front, hard bags and on the highway it's a dream. But at the end of the day it's about what YOU want.

AJ88V 06-14-2019 09:09 AM

Good for me to read things like this. I keep looking lustfully at a new Street Glide. The bike just looks right.

Thingfish 06-14-2019 09:27 AM

“Handles much better” was a little over enthusiastic on my part. The Heritage and the Road King both handle great. I really liked my RK and the extra weight makes for a cloud like ride, especially at freeway speeds. For me personally, the lesser weight of the Heritage made a big difference in daily ease and fun factor. The “touring” bikes are great and don’t have to be toured on to be enjoyed. I always wanted a Road King, especially after decades of touring on 650cc bikes, Sporties, Dyna’s and older Softails, but after a few years on the king I learned I was a “less is more” motorcycle guy. Many do not share my particular taste which is why the touring bikes are very popular. So going back to the op question...any bike can be enjoyed for touring or not touring. It’s all about what you’re happy with riding most. The label doesn’t matter.

Hulkss 06-14-2019 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by AJ88V (Post 18329154)
Good for me to read things like this. I keep looking lustfully at a new Street Glide. The bike just looks right.

I just traded in my Street Glide for a Heritage FLHCS. The Street Glide feels quite ponderous in comparison.

kenny55 06-17-2019 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by AJ88V (Post 18329154)

I recently bought a 2019 Street Glide but I'm keeping my Heritage. The Street Glide is not as much 'fun' as the Heritage but in my opinion the Street Glide is much smoother and more comfortable on the highway and when riding long distances.

Hulkss 06-17-2019 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by kenny55 (Post 18335122)
I recently bought a 2019 Street Glide but I'm keeping my Heritage. The Street Glide is not as much 'fun' as the Heritage but in my opinion the Street Glide is much smoother and more comfortable on the highway and when riding long distances.

For me, it's all about the ride and how much "fun" it is. Going for maximum fun.

Martin Gallardo 06-18-2019 03:25 PM

we have a couple Heritage's. '17 and '18., I kinda wish there was an in between the full touring bike and the softail. I suppose I can just load up on aftermarket goodies.