2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Newbie New Deluxe

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 09:33 AM
alittlejohn60615
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Newbie New Deluxe

Picked up a 2019 Scorched Orange Deluxe yesterday. Although it was “used”, only had 5 miles on her. I am new to riding ( got my license late last year). Grabbed a 2010 Iron 883 (excellent starter bike) but after 1000 miles wanted and needed more.

Was working a deal on a vivid black deluxe when I saw the Scorched Orange. I really liked the black but LOVE the Orange. The chrome, Orange and denim black just does something for me.

Only issue with the bike is that ridiculous short reach seat. Looks HUGE. But I’m 5’3 and need it to reach the controls. May have to do something or swap the handlebars as now I feel too close. So if anyone has any ideas on shorter controls that would allow me to use the OEM seat (which I think looks great) and or ways to mod the handlebars... please share.

And BTW... I was very concerned about going to a bigger bike being a smaller guy BUT that bike has CRAZY handeling. Almost better than the sporty. And the power..... ohhhh the power. Glad I bought this bike and glad to be in the club!

The following 2 users liked this post by alittlejohn60615:
Agoober (06-16-2019), frontiercat (06-15-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 10:02 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Congrats and welcome. Beautiful looking Deluxe! You’re not going to see one of those on every corner. For bars there are a lot of options to get you back on an OEM seat. A different riser may be all you need. Sit on the OEM seat and hold your hands where you think you’d like them. Have a friend measure where they are from the stock grips. This will give you a good starting pace to decide if you need different bars or just a riser that gets the stock bar closer to you.

New bars require migrating the controls (easy) and possibly longer cables (adds a good bit of cost and labor). New risers are much cheaper, but can still require longer cables depending how far they are moving your bars. Usually you have enough slack to accommodate a 2” extension with the stock cables...maybe a little more. Lots of bar and riser styles so once you figure out distance and wrist angle you can start deciding how you want it to look getting there.

Can you reach the foot controls with the OEM seat? If not, they can be adjusted or replaced (or customized $$) too, but that’s something I’ve never had to do.

enjoy the scoot!!

Last edited by Thingfish; 06-15-2019 at 10:03 AM.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:18 AM
MoneyFor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 955 Likes on 657 Posts

Congrats with good looking bike !

Old 06-15-2019, 10:42 AM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Welcome to the forums!

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 06-15-2019, 12:23 PM
Tozco
Road Captain
Received 205 Likes on 132 Posts

Awesome looking ride, not mention how happy you look in the picture!
I try to live with a new bikes ergonomics because your body is so used to the previous set up. Sometimes what felt wrong at first ends up being just right after you get acclimated.

Old 06-16-2019, 05:50 AM
MHTR
Cruiser
Received 139 Likes on 53 Posts

Congrats on the new ride! I bought a new Deluxe last August and am still on the honeymoon. Enjoy...

Old 06-16-2019, 06:31 AM
alittlejohn60615
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Thanks ...

... for welcoming me to the forums and the feedback. I agree with Tozco. There is a lot to get used to on this Softail coming from a sporty. Plus it’s a brand new bike. Maybe I will let it “settle” before I consider making any changes.

I was was a bit surprised about the exhaust. Stock doesn’t sound like the HD I was expecting. I do have a set of V&H Twin Slash slip ons coming next week so hopefully I will get that rumble like I had on my sporty.

Old 06-16-2019, 07:15 AM
Agoober
Banned
Received 1,004 Likes on 713 Posts

Cheers bra.

Peace.

Old 06-16-2019, 08:05 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,154 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by Tozco
Awesome looking ride, not mention how happy you look in the picture!
I try to live with a new bikes ergonomics because your body is so used to the previous set up. Sometimes what felt wrong at first ends up being just right after you get acclimated.
+1^^^^

I encountered a Scorched Orange Deluxe at the dealer one day last year. Pictures don't do it justice. That color scheme on a Deluxe just grabs you when seeing it in person. I don't think any other bike wears those colors as well. If I went with a Deluxe, that may have been my pick. Then again that Wicked Red/Twisted Cherry color scheme might have made the choice a little tough.

Great looking bike. Congrats...

Old 06-16-2019, 08:07 AM
nj08SEUltra
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts

You're smiling for good reason - she's a beauty. Ride safe.

Quick Reply: Newbie New Deluxe