2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Which fangs for a 19 Deluxe?

Old 06-16-2019, 06:46 AM
Parrothead1809
Tourer
Received 81 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Which fangs for a 19 Deluxe?

I have to do something about the beffeting at highway speeds. From what I read fangs are the best first step followed closely by changing out the windshield with a recurve (Freedom) shield. I don't see any HD fangs that pop up when searching accessories for a 19 Deluxe, so do I have to go after market?

Also, how do these attach? I have a stock HD 18" Quick Release shield AND engine guards.

Thanks for any advice,
-PH

Old 06-16-2019, 08:02 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,507 Likes on 2,132 Posts

Looking at photos of the deluxe it looks like the headlight nacelle is different from other models. Could easily be that the spacing of the bolts are different or the bolts aren’t big enough to support them as they look considerably smaller then those on the touring, at least in the photos I’ve seen. Or some other reason that the HD deflectors won’t be listed as fitting.

There are aftermarket mfgrs that may offer something. Or you can take a look at a road king for example, measure the spacing and see if they are the same on your bike. Then it’s up to you to see if the bolts will support them. Maybe longer, washers or spacers needed, etc.

Good luck!

Edit: looks like the windshield uses a similar mounting system as the Road King, so I expect the bolts would work, again if the spacing works.

Last edited by Mchad; 06-16-2019 at 08:06 AM.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:55 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,144 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by Parrothead1809
I have to do something about the beffeting at highway speeds. From what I read fangs are the best first step followed closely by changing out the windshield with a recurve (Freedom) shield. I don't see any HD fangs that pop up when searching accessories for a 19 Deluxe, so do I have to go after market?

Also, how do these attach? I have a stock HD 18" Quick Release shield AND engine guards.

Thanks for any advice,
-PH
No. HD does not offer wind deflectors for the 2018+ Heritage or Deluxe. Some have taken the deflectors for the pre-2018 models and drilled the additional holes to make them fit. However, that option doesn't work if you have engine guards installed - clearance issues when turning the handlebars to full stop.

JES Customs...

https://www.jescustomaccents.com/Win...e-ChR-18-p.htm

I have them on my Heritage. They work well and look good.

On the Heritage the fangs can be mounted on the inside our outside of the grommet. There are trade-offs in which way you choose. The fangs may be slightly more effective mounted on the inside, but they may have greater impact on cooling air getting to the engine and to the rider. I seemed to feel more heat with them on the inside. The grommets are more accessible when installing the shield with the fangs on the inside. However, they do push the grommet's spacing out slightly, which impacts installing the shield. Ultimately, I chose installing them on the outside.

The fangs do help quite a bit. But, they don't make things perfect. I would say I could live with the fangs and stock shield. It's acceptable enough. However, I've been trying out the recurve shields. I've tried the Freedom Shields. My only problem with them was the sizes. the 17" seemed too short and the 19" seemed too tall. The 19" was most effective. Neither made it a perfect world. If you want to look over the shield, there is a trade-off. You'll have some gusty wind occasionally. But it won't be that vibrating buffeting that blurs your vision. Freedom's shields seem very well made. They are thicker and more substantial than stock - which I appreciated. Also, there customer service is great. I'd recommend them.

One recommendation... If you need to sort out your seat, you might want to do that first. Changing seats also tends to change your seating position. That can effect where the top of the shield is in relation to your nose/vision. I've been trying new seats out at the same time I've been experimenting with these shields. I said that the Freedom 17" shield was too short. That's true on the stock seat. But it actually might be the right size when I sit the Mustang seat I'm trying out now.

I've ordered a Clrearview Shield (recurve) with the vent in 18".

https://www.clearviewshields.com/mot...size-brackets/

It should be arriving in a couple of days. Anyway, the theory behind the vent is that it relieves the negative pressure zone that is created behind the shield, thus reducing the buffeting issue. It's similar to the HD Wind Splitter...

https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...20-57400176--1

I've seen claims about the effectiveness that run the gamut. Some claim it hugely effective. Others were "Meh" about it. I'll be finding out for myself shortly.

One thing that I noticed- and wasn't certain that I cared for - was the location of the vent above the horizontal frame member. I asked Clearview if they could put it below and if so if it had any negative impact of performance. Their answers were yes and no, respectively. However, mounting it that way would be considered a custom order - making it non-returnable. They also noted that the secondary advantage of the vent - providing more air to the rider on hot day - would be less effective with the vent below the frame member. Also, having it above the frame member facilitates installation of windshield bags. I ordered a recurve shield in the standard configuration with the vent above. Figured if the vent didn't prove effective I could still return it. If the vent proves effective, I could still return it and order a custom one with the vent below the frame member if I decided that's the way I want to go. I ordered a shield with the black lower to match the Heritage's stock shield. The vent may look better in the black area. Hard to say until I get it in hand and can see it in person.

One last thing... Be prepared to wait if you are ordering shields. They make them to order. Both Freedom and Clearview took about 10 to 14 days to ship. If you have to return and try another size, or something else, well that'll be another 10 to 14 days etc. etc.

Last edited by T^2; 06-16-2019 at 09:32 AM.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:46 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,507 Likes on 2,132 Posts

Not to go too far OT, but I have a clear view venter recurve on my RKS and it’s fantastic. The vent isn’t obtrusive (but I’m 6’2”, so that impacts my opinion) and makes a big difference.

Old 06-16-2019, 08:07 PM
MHTR
Cruiser
Received 139 Likes on 53 Posts

The fangs from «2017 will fit and function perfectly. All it takes is drilling one new hole in the bracket (remember... measure twice, drill once).

Old 06-16-2019, 08:20 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by MHTR
The fangs from «2017 will fit and function perfectly. All it takes is drilling one new hole in the bracket (remember... measure twice, drill once).
Not if you have an engine guard installed. At least not on a Heritage. I suspect the geometry is the same on the Deluxe. If so, you'll have clearance issues with the handle bars turned to their stops.

Last edited by T^2; 06-16-2019 at 08:22 PM.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:41 PM
Parrothead1809
Tourer
Received 81 Likes on 49 Posts

Thanks, guys.

Also, MHTR, is that the correct mounting position? They look turned around to me, but I’m new to this whole “fang” thing.
-PH

PS: love the bike; it’s just like mine!

Old 06-17-2019, 04:48 AM
MHTR
Cruiser
Received 139 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by T^2
Not if you have an engine guard installed. At least not on a Heritage. I suspect the geometry is the same on the Deluxe. If so, you'll have clearance issues with the handle bars turned to their stops.
I'll take your word for it since I never had crash bars to deal with. Maybe there's something slightly different between the 17's and 18's. The ad from the Harley site shows them with the crash bars.

PH - I have mine mounted as shown in the picture below.

Old 06-17-2019, 05:02 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Parrothead1809
Thanks, guys.

Also, MHTR, is that the correct mounting position? They look turned around to me, but I’m new to this whole “fang” thing.
-PH

PS: love the bike; it’s just like mine!
Yes... common misconception. The inside of the curve actually faces forward. Initially counter intuitive, but that's they way they work.

Old 06-17-2019, 05:09 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by MHTR
I'll take your word for it since I never had crash bars to deal with. Maybe there's something slightly different between the 17's and 18's. The ad from the Harley site shows them with the crash bars.

PH - I have mine mounted as shown in the picture below.
That picture/ad is for pre-2018s. The deflectors for pre-2018 work on pre-2018 bikes with engine guards. However, I can tell you from personal experience and from testimonies of others on these forums, that those pre-2018 deflectors will have clearance issues when installed on a 2018+ Heritage (and presumably a Deluxe) if the bike has the HD engine guard installed. Mounting holes and geometry are different.

As an aside... I've wondered why HD hasn't offered wind deflectors for the 2018+ bikes. I know the deflectors may impact cooling. I wonder if there is an issue there. I don't have a PowerVision installed yet, so I can't tell what the net effect is on engine temps.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which fangs for a 19 Deluxe?