2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Sporty 1200 v M8 Street bob

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 09:17 AM
Iron Jack
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sporty 1200 v M8 Street bob

Duplicate from the sporty page, but looking to catch the most relevant eyes I can.

Howdy all,

Curious about any first hand experience out there between the new(er,ish, remodeled, whatever) 1200 Iron, or any 1200 really as they stack up to a M8 street bob. I got the Iron and still have a few months to get price paid back on a trade in at the dealership.

I've combed through youtube and the forums here but haven't found much directly on the 1200 v m8's. Plenty on the 883 v M8.

I really enjoy the iron. How it feels, the plethora of knowledge, available modifications, after market support ect. I got the bike for roughly 10k, and an M8 street bob would be roughly 15k. I wager I could make the sporty pretty darn quick and comfy for 5k, which basically are the only improvements I would make. I do not ride two up, very rare, less than once a year. My wife (riding partner) is tiny, I'm a lean & mean 200lbs, so two up isn't really an issue. MOST of my rides are 30 minutes ~80%, under 2 hours ~15%, and a few times a year 2-6. It's not like I'm super comfortable after the longer runs, but I'm not crippled. Also use it for some light camping and gear hauling.

Things I'd wish the bike was better at:

-Highway when I'm on it. a 6th gear would be cool, I usually zip around near 80/85 when I'm running highways. I don't do that for a bunch of miles though as family keeps me close (young kiddos).

-More powa. I don't have any mods to the bike yet, re:weighing the decision of moving to a street bob. But I see plenty of sorties that are fast for less than 5k. Not crazy fast or anything, but I do wish it had just a bit more scoot.

-Ride: Is the ride on a softail noticeably better for mostly shorter distance riding? I'm sure it'd be better over 2 hours, maybe even at 1, but again, upgraded shocks aren't brutal on the wallet.

Things holding me from switching:

-Price. Just how much better would the bike be, and couldn't I just get my sporty there for near the same money or less and have a fairly custom ride at that point.

-Weight: Bike is heavier. So I'd be back to putting money into the motor to get more scoot to compensate, or so I think.

-Motor: Motor is still a "newer" make, can't say I'm up on any issues, but the Evo is figured out at this point.

Any insights, personal experience, business experience, or observations welcome. THANKS!

Old 06-21-2019, 09:58 AM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior
Received 417 Likes on 322 Posts

I don't have any experience with the Street Bob or 107" M8 but I can compare the 1200 to my Fat Bob 114. As far as the overall ride, the new Softail frame is great. The newer Sportsters do have better rear shocks than the past but they are still no where near as good as the Softail suspension.

Handling on the new Softail is much better as well. I don't get the wobble I used to get with the Sportsters. The 48 was much worse than the Roadster but the Roadster still wobbled a bit from time to time especially on the highway. My Fat Bob is much better and more comfortable on the highway and longer rides.

As far as power goes, in stock form or stage 1 the 107 will obviously be more powerful but the added weight is something to consider. A stage 1 Sportster isn't shabby by any means but the 107 will still leave it behind I would think. Again no experience with the 107 M8.

Hammer performance makes some kick *** 1275 bolt on kits for the Sportsters and depending in how crazy you want to go, they have a 80+ HP kit up through a 120+ HP package that has proven to produce over 130 HP. But that 120 HP kit alone will run you close to 5 grand. The other options are leas expensive but still a good chunk of change. Plus better suspension, exhaust and all that you may be over your mark of 5 grand pretty quickly.

On the M8, you can upgrade thae cam, exhaust and air cleaner for a stage 2 for a lot less and get a decent power increase. It won't be 120+ HP but it will give better bang for the buck.

Overall, the Softail is a better performer as far as ride and power unless a lot of work is done to the Sportster 1200. For the majority of the riding you do, either bike will be fine. The Street Bob will be a bit less agile but probably not much of a difference. I know there's not much of a difference of the agility between the Fat Bob and Roadster. Fat Bob is just heavier and a bit bigger.

When it comes down to it, the choice is yours. I don't think you can go wrong either way you choose. Good luck.

Last edited by Bowhunter8607; 06-21-2019 at 10:48 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Iron Jack (06-21-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 10:49 AM
AJ88V
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 214 Posts

If you like your Sporty, you'll LOVE the new Softail.

Coming off an older Dyna, and with more than enough time on Sportsters, my new Low Rider is a dream. My initial concern was that the Low Rider felt too much like a Sportster size-wise, where the Dyna felt like a "big" bike. But the Softail has much better suspension and just loafs on the highway, The Sportster just feels too busy at anything over 65mph.

So, Sporster is a great around-town, kick about bike to pop around the corner. The sportier Softails like the Low Rider and the Bob are great cruising around town, but have longer legs, carry more load, and aren't as fatiguing as the Sportster. while still feeling 'small'.

I'll bet one good ride on the Street Bob and you'll be trading in your Sportster as fast as you can sign on the line. Getting that awesome trade-in to make it a $5K deal will make it a no brainer.

Old 06-21-2019, 10:58 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

I’ve had plenty of Sportsters and plenty of big twins Evo, Twin Cam, and M8...

the biggest issue for me boils down to this. Yes the 107 Street Bob (or any M8 or big Twin) will be an improvement in comfort, handling, and power...and 6th gear is lovely....BUT there is a certain feel and character the Sporty has that they do not. If you love that...and some people do....there is no substitute. It makes all the other minor (or not so minor) inconveniences worth it. It’s very personal and tough to guess at, but that’s your biggest question in my opinion. My sig only lists an ironhead (older sporty) among bigger bikes currently, but there’s also an 2007 Roadster and my wife’s 48 sitting in our garage that I ride often. I really love my bikes and ride them all regularly, but if I could only have one bike....there’s a good chance it’d be a Sportster.

If you test ride the 107 street bob, you’ll immediately notice it’s comfort, power, and smoothness which are all great. For some that’s the answer.

When you get back on your Sporty ask yourself does it feel more alive? More exciting? More raw in a good way? If the answer is yes....you might be the other guy.

For me, the answer was both, but if you have to choose one....

Postie (06-27-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 11:24 AM
slw210
Road Warrior

Received 901 Likes on 575 Posts

I kept my Sportster. The new M8 Softails are fantastic, too. I run about as fast on the Sportster (maybe faster) than the FXLR between 70-85 MPH with burst much faster. I can ride either all day at those speeds (my commute 100 Miles round trip). The FXLR is a lot smoother. If I could only have one, it would be the Sportster.

Hlgsn1 (06-21-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 01:36 PM
Ludwig von Buzzthoven
Road Master
Received 639 Likes on 280 Posts

I have only owned 3 bikes total: a ‘15 48, a ‘17 Slim, and an ‘18 Deluxe.

I loved my 48, which is the very first bike I ever owned, period. But I have a bad back, and as much as I tried to make it more comfortable, I couldn’t make it work for me. Also, the small tank got old (although it looked killer). I had a full Stage 1: OEM hi-flow A/C, the now-banned OEM Super Tuner, and V&H Straight Shot Slip Ons. I also had it dyno’d, and the thing ran really well.

I traded it in for my ‘17 Slim. It’s still a work in progress, but out of the 3 Harleys I’ve owned, it’ll be the one I keep forever. It’s perfect for me, and it runs like a dream: the thing has low end torque for days.

My ‘18 Deluxe is good. It’s definitely beautiful, but I the TC in the Slim feels and sounds better to me. The Deluxe has a full OEM Stage 1 in it, including the tuner: my Slim kicks its *** in performance, hands down.

That all being said, I do miss the 48. That bike has a vibe to it that can’t really be described.

Old 06-21-2019, 06:38 PM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,073 Likes on 609 Posts

I've had an 883 Iron int he stable since '16 - great little bike from a certain mission profile.

Though I like the bike, I'm trading it for a low Rider and will be happy to report first hand thoughts if my darned Low Rider ever gets to the dealership; it was supposedly shipped 6/12????

Old 06-21-2019, 10:04 PM
Agoober
Banned
Received 1,004 Likes on 713 Posts

Go ride a mates Bobber or go a test ride then you'll know. Make sure you do that trade deal inside the timeline if you go that way. The Sporties might get some upgrades soon so yea ,get it done in the time frame if you get her done.

Peace.

Old 06-21-2019, 10:28 PM
AKDrifter
Intermediate
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

If $ is a big consideration go for one of the discontinued Dyna Street Bobs. Those bikes I think had a much more premium feel than the Softail StreetBob. That's one bike I'm going to keep hunting for is a '17 StreetBob in Olive Gold. But if not I'd go with the Softail StreetBob. I've tested them. They're definitely more bare bones small tank top clamp instrument cluster. But they'll ride much much better than the Sportster. Get yours traded in ASAP if you're thinking about it. That trade in for the price you paid program is pretty awesome.

Old 06-23-2019, 01:59 AM
sutoritokingu
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I went from a 17' 48 to a 19' fxbb and there isn't a single regret there...its better in every single way.

Quick Reply: Sporty 1200 v M8 Street bob