2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Ventilator Air Cleaner Kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2019, 07:11 AM
Las Vegas Jim
Supporter
Received 228 Likes on 149 Posts
Question Ventilator Air Cleaner Kit

I have a new 2019 Low Rider and ultimately want to do a Stage 1 conversion. But, I want to hold off until I have at least 1k miles on bike and until I can resolve my issues about the HD Pro Tuner. As a first step, I am considering adding the Ventilator Air Cleaner Kit (lowest flow of high flow options) to get a little more air to the engine. Questions:
1. Any feedback on adding just the Air Cleaner Kit?
2. How long should I wait to install it? (Should I go through some break-in period first?)
3. Is it necessary to reprogram the ECM if you just do the Ventilator Air Cleaner Kit without changing exhaust?

Old 06-30-2019, 10:33 AM
MoneyFor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 955 Likes on 657 Posts

I have a new Street, didn't wait with the changes. As soon the bike was sitting in my garage with 0 miles on it I started with the changes I wanted, Vance & Hine FP3 & Big Radius with a aftermarket high flow filter
and all the other cosmetic stuff.

The bikes running lean as they came from factory, a highflow filter doesn't make that better, so I just put a FP3 on for starters with the High flow filter you want and you are good to go.

Old 06-30-2019, 02:04 PM
Las Vegas Jim
Supporter
Received 228 Likes on 149 Posts

I traded a bike with an FP3, and I already miss it! (Harley would do well to acquire V&H and sell their products as HD OEM products. IMHO, the HD Pro Tuner is second-rate technology and isn't user friendly compared to the FP3.) Since I bought the bike new with 6 miles on it, I worry about the affect of the warranty by installing an FP3. From everything I read and hear, Harley is cracking down on the use of non-HD components, particularly FP3s. Are you worried about the affect on your HD warranty of installing an FP3 before the factory warranty period is over?

Old 06-30-2019, 06:23 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,228 Likes on 1,267 Posts

Originally Posted by Las Vegas Jim
Are you worried about the affect on your HD warranty of installing an FP3 before the factory warranty period is over?
There's nothing to worry about; the second you install the FP3, your warranty is over. No two ways about it.

Are you ready for your warranty to be done? Or do you think the FP3's benefits outweigh the value of the remaining warranty? If so, go ahead. If not, don't do it.

Old 06-30-2019, 07:02 PM
Hulkss
HDF Community Team
Received 1,848 Likes on 975 Posts

I'm running the stock ventilator air cleaner and the H-D street tuner on my new '19 Heritage. It runs great. Definitely not too lean.

Here's a look at the fuel table and the results on the Dynamometer:

The following users liked this post:
OldMike (07-01-2019)
Old 07-01-2019, 12:06 AM
MoneyFor
Stellar HDF Member

I dont care about warranty, if you do ...do not install the FP3 before that periods is over.

Just for info : the FP3 is backing up the OEM mapping in slot 0 so if you have a problem you always can flash that OEM map back in the ecm and unplug the FP3.

Old 07-01-2019, 05:22 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,837 Likes on 1,212 Posts

Originally Posted by MoneyFor
I dont care about warranty, if you do ...do not install the FP3 before that periods is over.

Just for info : the FP3 is backing up the OEM mapping in slot 0 so if you have a problem you always can flash that OEM map back in the ecm and unplug the FP3.
Can you define "problem"?

Old 07-01-2019, 05:26 AM
MoneyFor
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by OldMike
Can you define "problem"?
ECM / Engine ... related, then you can flash the OEM map back to the ECM and remove the FP3 before you go to the dealer.

Old 07-01-2019, 05:37 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hulkss
I'm running the stock ventilator air cleaner and the H-D street tuner on my new '19 Heritage. It runs great. Definitely not too lean.

Here's a look at the fuel table and the results on the Dynamometer:
Thanks for posting.
Running lean from the factory seems to be a Twin Cam thing, not a M8 problem.

Old 07-01-2019, 05:46 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by MoneyFor
ECM / Engine ... related, then you can flash the OEM map back to the ECM and remove the FP3 before you go to the dealer.
Just to be clear about after market tuners.
Power Vision puts an indelible print on the ECM, so flashing back to stock tune can be used for trouble shooting any problems but Harley factory can still detect that a tuner has been installed and void the warranty.

The following users liked this post:
Las Vegas Jim (07-01-2019)

Quick Reply: Ventilator Air Cleaner Kit