Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   2018+ Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2018-softail-models-206/)
-   -   2018 Lowrider as a daily? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2018-softail-models/1291746-2018-lowrider-as-a-daily.html)

oc357 07-09-2019 06:59 AM

2018 Lowrider as a daily?

Hello all,

I am new to the Softail part of the forums. I currently own a 2018 Road Glide Special and have owned a 2011 and 2012 RG before, but I am looking at a Low Rider for a daily. I commute into Washington DC daily and I am considering moving further out, which means using a motorcycle for the HOV or sitting in traffic.

I like the style of the Low Rider and see that it has the most ground clearance of the Sport Glide and the Low Rider. My question goes to mods necessary for bad roads. The roads here in DC are the worst I have ever ridden/driven on, so I need something that can deal with potholes, broken pavement, etc.

Is there a kit out to do +2 tubes on the new softail? I've seen the Bung King rear shock lift, but haven't seen anything for the front.
Thanks

Las Vegas Jim 07-09-2019 07:35 AM

Lived in the DC area for many years and understand the problems you face. I love riding, but I think you need to question the practicality of riding a bike to work. The number of days with rain and winter weather will be a problem. Also, riding in DC, particularly in rush hour traffic presents high risk conditions you don't always control. But, if determined to overcome these issues, the new M8 Low Rider is an excellent choice, IMHO, for several reasons. Its mid-controls will your maneuverability and control in congested and stop-and-go traffic. Plus, my new Low Rider is as smooth riding a bike as I have owned. My recommendation is to leave the bike stock for at least 5k miles and experience whether or not the road issues you describe are as big a problem as you now think. In the short run, I recommend that you get a really good after market solo seat, such as a Mustang or Saddlemen seat. (HD's stock seats leave a lot to be desired.) A better seat will really help your comfort and control levels. I bought the Mustang Wide Tripper because it offered more comfort for less than all day cruising. Good luck.

Agoober 07-09-2019 08:24 AM

Daily driver , why not I say ! Here's a link to some 2 inch extensions https://www.cyclevisions.com/product...be-extensions# One of the good fellows here used these and flicked us a link to it.

Peace.

AJ88V 07-09-2019 10:36 AM

Low Rider will make a decent commuter right out of the box, but you'll surely start the mods to get her the way you want her, just like any Harley model you'd buy. Besides the fork legs, you might start with the rear shock. Some of the tourer-oriented Softails have a longer rear shock and those show up on ebay for cheap when people lower them.

As a fellow NoVa local, I understand totally the desire for two wheeled transport, especially if you're going into the city for work. If you're hitting 395 to connect to the south, be aware that lane speeds can be VERY high and you'll want some sort of fairing. I did that for a few years on my Hayabusa and had cagers passing me!

slw210 07-09-2019 10:46 AM

My commute is 100 miles round trip on some pretty bad road, road construction making it all 4 lane highway with cross overs that are grooved/rutted, potholes, bumps at the bridges, tar snakes, you name it. The 2019 FXLR handles it all with ease.
I was stationed in Quantico 80-83 and regularly went to Anacosta Navy Base. I always thought Maryland side was worse back then, but I know what you are talking about.

oc357 07-09-2019 12:53 PM

Thanks to all for all of the input, I am looking out in Stafford or Fredericksburg VA and would take the VRE or drive my truck when it got down into the 20's/snow/ice etc. I agree a fairing will be a necessity, some suspension, a seat and bars will make the list as well, then some exhaust as the cagers here don't seem to look when turning, merging or simply driving.

Jehu 07-09-2019 05:21 PM

That Stafford area has some nasty traffic and some seriously bad drivers.
As a 2019 Low Rider owner I share your passion for that choice - good windscreen and some throw over bags would make the LR a bitchin' every day commuter.
Hope you wearing ful face helmet, an Aerostich Roadcrafter and have a salvation relationship with Jesus Christ as it's a bad area for commuting in a cage ... let along a cycle.

slw210 07-10-2019 11:43 AM

I do fine with just a full face so far. No Interstate on the commute, but I run 70MPH-80MPH most of the way, no problems. It is relaxing in the mornings since I head out before much traffic. I get to work at 6am, the ride home has more traffic and often heavy rain this time of year, still better than the car.

Mark Faulkner 07-11-2019 02:34 AM

Stock suspension on the new Softails is actually pretty decent. I got my '18 Breakout down some really bad roads and never had a problem. I'd ditch the stock tyres if you're doing a lot of wet weather riding. Scorchers are horrible in the rain.

VAFish 07-11-2019 08:18 AM

I commute in DC traffic, usually come in I66, but will often go south on 123 then pick up the express lanes in to the Pentagon. (I usually take the VRE when I don't ride) I do it on a Sportster, I have upgraded the forks with progressive springs and put touring bike air shocks in the back. Couple of weekends ago I rode the Heritage Classic and Sport Glide at a dealer demo day. I purposely tried to hit the pot holes and bumps on the route. The Heritage Classic handled them very well, much smoother than my Sportster. Not sure how suspension travel compares between the Heritage and the Low Rider, but the LR has more ground clearance by 1/2 an inch and one degree more lean angle.

Traffic hauls ass in the express lanes on I95. Like 80-85 MPH most days. On these hot summer days I prefer riding without a windshield and wear a full face helmet. If my 2006 Sportster does the commute I would think a 2019 Low Rider would do it even better.

However, your Road Glide would do just fine on the commute as well, unless you are just looking for an excuse to buy another bike.