2018+ Softail Models Breakout

2019 Low Rider Initial 50-miles Assessment

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 12:53 PM
Las Vegas Jim
Supporter
Received 228 Likes on 149 Posts
Default 2019 Low Rider Initial 50-miles Assessment

A few explanations before I get into my assessment of the 2019 Low Rider. 1. I spent over six months driving the dealer crazy researching the bikes in the new line of Softails and taking test drives. So glad I did! The Low Rider is the right bike for my use profile, physical profile, and characteristics that address my fitment needs. 2. Because I noticed right from the start during the test rides that the rear brake is weak, I spent over 20 miles in my neighborhood doing brake bedding exercises. 3. I took my first long ride (>20 miles) early this morning before the Las Vegas heat becomes excessive today. Average temperature this morning during the ride as around 93 degrees.

THE GOOD AND THE NOT SO GOOD

GOOD
1. No buyers remorse. The 2019 Low Rider is the right choice for me. (My riding profile is about 80% use in town and on local rides and 20% road trips of less than 500 miles.) Every thing about it is a major step up from my 2017 Sportster Super Low 1200T. If I had to pick one feature I like, it is the far less vibration of the M8 engine; so much less tiring, even after just a few miles. The M8 engine is smooth as butter!

2. Throttle control is refined and predictable. Slow speed throttle/clutch control is excellent and should get better as the clutch cable stretches out just a little. Looking forward to my low speed drills and taking the Experience Rider Course this fall.

3. Balance of the bike is much improved over the previous Low Rider. I suspect the new lighter and stiffer frame is the reason for this improvement.

4. Think turn, and it turns. It is a very maneuverable bake, but its steering stays predictable and feels under control in both slow and high-speed turns.

5. The ABS system is not over reactive and doesn't restrict my normal baking technique. I spent a lot of time considering whether or not to spend the extra $800 on the ABS. In the end, I decide that if it saved me only once, it is worth it. In my riding so far, it hasn't kicked in even once. I suspect this will change now that I am over the 50-miles brake break-in period recommended by HD. But, at least I now know that during routine braking that the ABS system isn't noticeable.

NOT SO GOOD

1. The rear brake is weak and hasn't improved significantly after the 50-miles break-in period recommended in the Owners Manual by HD. The weak break is made even worse by the too low angle of the rear brake peddle. Thanks to the person who wrote the article on how to adjust this rear brake angle issue. After the test ride, I had the dealer adjust it before delivery, and my control of the rear brake is better. I plan to ride the bike in stock condition until the 1k mile inspection, but I suspect I will be replacing the stock rear brake pads with the Lyndall Gold + pads (Part #7283) unless there is a major improvement in the rear brake performance. (After all the years of adverse publicity about HD brakes, I can't believe that HD got this screwed up again.) (Positive Note: By adjusting my braking technique, the balance between the front and the rear brake can be pretty good. I just had to get use to more pressure on the rear brake and less on the front brake than I am used to using. But once I got this balance right, smooth braking is a piece of cake.)

2. The stock seat is poor--both in design and quality. Furthermore, the HD upgrade seats aren't a lot better, and the one solo seat is over priced and a poor design for any one who isn't a really large person. I bought the Mustang solo wide tripper and it is a much better seat. Its pan quality is out-of-the- park better than HD's, and its modular concept allow me to have a back rest and/or add a passenger pillow later. I know many of you will like seats by another manufacturer better, but what ever you chose, it will be a more comfortable, better ergonomic seat the the HD stock seat.

OVERALL ASSESSMENT: THIS IS A GREAT BIKE. Its relatively few weaknesses can be corrected (its only money), and with attention to fitment, this bike can be made to feel like a comfortable pair of shoes that will fit the individual requirements of most people.

3. If you have a short inseams or arm length OR if you are tall, new handle bars or a riser is essential.

4. The M8 engine is hotter than the barrel on a Saturday night special. Not so much a problem while riding (unless in stop-and-go traffic), but it is really a pain when stopped and having to move the bike backwards. Also, be careful when checking your oil level while the oil is hot after you ride; easy to burn yourself on the pipes, and even the dip stick is unpleasantly hot.

Hope other new 2018 and 2019 Low Rider owners will add their experiences to this post. Frankly, getting reliable information from a HD sales person is going to happen; therefore, actual owner advice is very helpful.

PICTURE NOTES: The padding on the highway guard and tank are temporary. Most instructors and very experienced rides have told me that the greatest risk of a tip-over is in the first 500 miles of riding and when taking the HD Experience Rider Course. So, I am sacrificing cool of the sake of protection of the bike; an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Last edited by Las Vegas Jim; 07-11-2019 at 12:56 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Las Vegas Jim:
Mattbastard (07-11-2019), porkster (07-12-2019), Redlegvzv (07-05-2023), yobtaf103 (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 02:13 PM
AJ88V
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 214 Posts

Congrats on your new scooter, Jim. I'm sure you're going to find more and more to like about this bike as you put more miles on her.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:25 PM
Superdog3:16
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 721 Likes on 443 Posts

Ummmmmmm..... I gotta ask, this is your first motorcycle, isn't it? I agree that better safe than sorry is very smart, but your paranoia almost makes me wreck!!? Lol. Chill out....

Nice looking bike!

The following users liked this post:
SgtThump (08-25-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 11:43 PM
Mark Faulkner
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

If you think an M8 gets hot, you should try getting stuck at the lights on a TC 110.

Old 07-12-2019, 02:35 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Enjoy the bike and the miles. Congrats.

Old 07-12-2019, 05:07 AM
Las Vegas Jim
Supporter
Received 228 Likes on 149 Posts

NO. I am 73 and have been riding since I was 14. Age, experience and taking the advice from people who know what they are talking about are good.

Old 07-12-2019, 06:10 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,829 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Nice review, the Low Rider fits my style of riding better than the Street Glide I traded in.
Your review points are close to my views except the handle bars don't have a fitment problem, they have a looks problem and the 2014 Street Glide I had was HOT, the Low Rider is NOT.

Old 07-12-2019, 09:54 AM
slw210
Road Warrior

Received 901 Likes on 575 Posts

My rear brakes seem fine, the pedal could use raising, I might tackle that soon, but I can quickly stop with just the rear brake (though I don't normally), I might upgrade to better pads eventually.
I love the stock seat, but then I don't care for overly soft seats (I am replacing the Sundowner on my Sportster), the stock bars fit me fine, as mentioned by OldMike the look is why I am changing them, I hope I don't regret it.
I don't particularly notice the bike being extremely hot, either.
The new slip-ons were definitely worth installing.
It definitely needs the laydown license plates or a relocation, I don't know why Harley has bikes with those straight up plates that snag everyone and everything. I have a laydown on the Sportster, too.
No matter what bike you buy, unless you just happen to be the rider size they designed for the bike, there will always be a need to do different ergonomics or adapt.

The following users liked this post:
Las Vegas Jim (07-13-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 02:52 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,508 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Originally Posted by slw210
My rear brakes seem fine, the pedal could use raising, I might tackle that soon, but I can quickly stop with just the rear brake (though I don't normally), I might upgrade to better pads eventually.
I love the stock seat, but then I don't care for overly soft seats (I am replacing the Sundowner on my Sportster), the stock bars fit me fine, as mentioned by OldMike the look is why I am changing them, I hope I don't regret it.
I don't particularly notice the bike being extremely hot, either.
The new slip-ons were definitely worth installing.
It definitely needs the laydown license plates or a relocation, I don't know why Harley has bikes with those straight up plates that snag everyone and everything. I have a laydown on the Sportster, too.
No matter what bike you buy, unless you just happen to be the rider size they designed for the bike, there will always be a need to do different ergonomics or adapt.
Likely some obscure motor vehicle regulation says tags must be mounted a certain way...

Old 07-12-2019, 06:05 PM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,073 Likes on 609 Posts

Good review.

I have the same bike in the same color.

Did you have to do anything with your clutch cable or wires to install your risers? I just ordered 1" back 3-1/3" up risers and am hoping I will not have to screw with the clutch cable extension (not really a big deal) or the wiring.

Quick Reply: 2019 Low Rider Initial 50-miles Assessment