2018+ Softail Models Breakout

2018 Fat Bob unstable at highway speeds

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 11:38 AM
BanditFXFB
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2018 Fat Bob unstable at highway speeds

Hey all. Just picked up my '18 Bob about 2 weeks ago and really love the bike. However, there is one serious issue that I can't figure out... and neither can my HD dealer's service department.

At any speeds over 80mph, the front end starts to feel extremely light, and you can feel the tire shifting a little under you. It honestly feels like you're about to go into death wobble at any moment. And if you test a light wiggle with your hands, it absolutely wants to do it. It's far more butt-puckering on high speed, long curves. It feels like the front end is going to wash out from under you.

The best way I can describe it is the same feeling you get when you're riding on a grated surface. The grooved lines that make your front end feel like the tire is moving side to side slightly under you.

Stock front end, stock factory tires.

The HD tech felt it himself. Tightened everything on the front end, head nut and all. His only conclusion was the style of tire on the front. But... that's how ALL Fat Bobs are delivered, and I've never heard anyone complain about this anywhere.Everything is snugged down, tire pressures are correct, no visible defect in the tire either.

Has anyone experienced this? If so, how were you able to remedy it?

Old 07-19-2019, 11:42 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 732 Posts

Welcome to the forum from PA.
Hopefully someone will chime in with some advice. At least it's something the dealer has acknowledged and not passed it off as normal.

Old 07-19-2019, 12:53 PM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior
Received 417 Likes on 322 Posts

Welcome.

I sure haven't had any feelings like what you described and have taken the bike into triple digits occassionally. When I first got the bike the front wheel had a hop due to being out of balance but balancing the wheel took care of that.

That sounds like a very alarming feeling. Maybe take another one they have on the floor for a test ride and see if it feels the same. If not then tell them if they can't figure it out then trade straight across for the other Fat Bob to make it right. Highly doubt they will but what heck it's worth a shot!

I would be persistent with them about the fact that there's an issue that has been confirmed by their tech and that it needs to be resolved somehow. Good luck. I hope they take care of you.

Last edited by Bowhunter8607; 07-19-2019 at 12:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Myuseridistaken (09-10-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 10:51 PM
Tozco
Road Captain
Received 205 Likes on 132 Posts

Are the tires mounted correctly with arrows pointing in direction of rotation? Rear wheel alignment should be checked. Wheel bearings. Classic loose or damaged steering head symptom, make the mechanic go over it again.

Old 07-23-2019, 02:29 PM
GilFXFBS19
Stage III
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BanditFXFB
Hey all. Just picked up my '18 Bob about 2 weeks ago and really love the bike. However, there is one serious issue that I can't figure out... and neither can my HD dealer's service department.

At any speeds over 80mph, the front end starts to feel extremely light, and you can feel the tire shifting a little under you. It honestly feels like you're about to go into death wobble at any moment. And if you test a light wiggle with your hands, it absolutely wants to do it. It's far more butt-puckering on high speed, long curves. It feels like the front end is going to wash out from under you.

The best way I can describe it is the same feeling you get when you're riding on a grated surface. The grooved lines that make your front end feel like the tire is moving side to side slightly under you.

Stock front end, stock factory tires.

The HD tech felt it himself. Tightened everything on the front end, head nut and all. His only conclusion was the style of tire on the front. But... that's how ALL Fat Bobs are delivered, and I've never heard anyone complain about this anywhere.Everything is snugged down, tire pressures are correct, no visible defect in the tire either.

Has anyone experienced this? If so, how were you able to remedy it?
I had the same thing happen to me on my 2019 FXFBS at 105... I was fine until I broke 100.
Still, not sure why lol

Old 07-23-2019, 03:21 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,267 Posts

It's not normal and I wouldn't accept it. I can't tell you how to fix it, as I haven't experienced it, but I can say that I've had mine as fast as it can possibly go, multiple times, and it's absolutely solid as a rock at those speeds.

Old 07-23-2019, 05:35 PM
DonN
Road Warrior
Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

Recheck the tire pressure yourself. Also, may need to pull wheel off and check the balance (are the wheel weights still on it)? Its prob been sitting on floor for a year and maybe tire has a flat spot. Brand new bike so they should make it right. Sometimes, its also needs a few thousand miles for you to get the feel of the bike.

Or its your first post so maybe your a troll and want to stir up trouble.

Old 08-22-2019, 12:47 AM
EvenSteven
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My '18 FXFBS bike also does this. It's squirrelly as heck anywhere near or over 80. Did the OP ever figure out the issue?

Old 08-22-2019, 12:41 PM
SVT-RapTor
Advanced
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I have had mine over 105 several times rock solid even after tire swap. Something is not right.

Old 08-22-2019, 12:57 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,344 Likes on 1,550 Posts

OK. Post in July and no return.
If this was real, this is what I would do.
#1 Even a new tire can be defective, so mount and balance a new tire.
#2 Check alignment of the bike.
#3 Do the Fall away test.
I cruise at 80 - 85 so that should never be a concern.

Quick Reply: 2018 Fat Bob unstable at highway speeds