Air Suspensions All you Air Ride Suspension Owners can discuss your Rides here

corvette shocks on softail?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 09:10 PM
cdeno0001
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default corvette shocks on softail?

I have been reading over the last few days about people using these and pros an cons etc. However most of said imformation is in regards to baggers or bikes with the externally mounted shock systems.

I have a 1999 Night train that the previous own lowered. I'd like to improve my ride and was curious about a budget friendly way to do so. I know a guy that says it will work on my softail and he previously worked at a HD dealer. Just curious because i can't find much info on doing so on a Softail.

thanks.

Old 07-15-2016, 01:25 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,024 Likes on 1,496 Posts

Originally Posted by cdeno0001
I have been reading over the last few days about people using these and pros an cons etc. However most of said imformation is in regards to baggers or bikes with the externally mounted shock systems.

I have a 1999 Night train that the previous own lowered. I'd like to improve my ride and was curious about a budget friendly way to do so. I know a guy that says it will work on my softail and he previously worked at a HD dealer. Just curious because i can't find much info on doing so on a Softail.

thanks.
Not a lot of good rear suspension options for a softail. If you want to improve the ride, restore the rear to stock ride height and set the preload on the shocks for your weight. Race Tech springs and gold valve emulators and the correct oil up front. Ohlins is working on a softail shock that might be available later this year; those will be worth waiting for. I would not waste $$ on an air suspension, Progressives or most other shock that is currently available for a softail; Works probably has the best offering in the current market.

I would also stick with motorcycle shocks and avoid automotive shocks; different applications and designs. JMHO.......

Old 07-15-2016, 02:25 PM
LURCH634
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
Not a lot of good rear suspension options for a softail. If you want to improve the ride, restore the rear to stock ride height and set the preload on the shocks for your weight. Race Tech springs and gold valve emulators and the correct oil up front. Ohlins is working on a softail shock that might be available later this year; those will be worth waiting for. I would not waste $$ on an air suspension, Progressives or most other shock that is currently available for a softail; Works probably has the best offering in the current market.

I would also stick with motorcycle shocks and avoid automotive shocks; different applications and designs. JMHO.......