Air Suspensions All you Air Ride Suspension Owners can discuss your Rides here

Inexpensive rear touring shock for 13' Ultra Limited?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 01:00 PM
junior166745151
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

After doing some research on inexpensive rear shocks for my 2013 Ultra Limited, I ended up getting the progressive 412HD Wisenheimer16 recommended. Had them installed today took only 20 mins. They were set to the second notch to start out. On the way back home I purposely rode over some crappy bumps to see how smooth it went over them and it wasn't bad at all compared to the shitty stock air shocks. I cannot report at this time about two up riding for the next 3 weeks b/c the lady had surgery.
Thanks to all who chimed in.

Old 08-07-2017, 03:43 PM
lightweight bob
Road Master
Received 150 Likes on 101 Posts
Default DS shock review

Originally Posted by bassnman
Guy's I installed my Drag Specialty shocks yesterday, so far so good, I have to give them time to break-in.
Today I backed off the spring tension to the softest setting, tomorrow we'll ride 2-up so I can get a feel for them, for $265 as opposed to $560 I think there going to pass the test.
So what do you think or did you not ride this weekend?

Old 08-11-2017, 06:00 PM
bassnman
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

lightweight,
yesterday I adjusted the Drag Spec. shocks, stretched em out to 13.25" from 12.5, set the springs on the softest setting & rode the bike today w/ the bags on.
The shocks are doing there job, no more getting thrown out of the seat, the front legs are stiff & the rear is doing it's job obsorbing the bumps/ frost heaves..
for $265 the shocks are WAY BETTER than the HD **** that came on the bike.
I'm going to give the shocks a few wks to break-in & let the springs settle before I adjust them again, I'm starting to like the bike again, I was ready to sell because of the ride.
Now, MAYBE over the winter I'll do the front fork springs & possibly go w/ Racetech?? dunno yet??
These bikes w/ never have a floating suspension, no matter..
I heard of guy's spending up to $1000. for shocks!!! no me...

Last edited by bassnman; 08-11-2017 at 07:48 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:51 AM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Bassman, I bought a pair of these last year and installed them on my 2011 RK. I set the length in the middle along with the preload. I road it and they bottomed out easy. I took the bike home and adjusted them to their fullest length and full pre load and they bottom out easy, solo. I could not get them to work, I had to send them back. May have been defective pair, but I could not get them to work.

Old 08-12-2017, 07:56 PM
bassnman
Cruiser

Originally Posted by checkers
Bassman, I bought a pair of these last year and installed them on my 2011 RK. I set the length in the middle along with the preload. I road it and they bottomed out easy. I took the bike home and adjusted them to their fullest length and full pre load and they bottom out easy, solo. I could not get them to work, I had to send them back. May have been defective pair, but I could not get them to work.
Checkers my shocks work pretty good, I weigh about 170+, my bags have some tools & stuff in them , under normal riding conditions the shocks work good, I have them on the "softest setting.
I went on a 50 mi ride looking for bumps, & in NJ the roads are absolutely ****!! holes & cracks everywhere, the shocks where ok, still a little stiff compared to my 04 Wing that has Racetech Supension on it..BTW, I bought the 13" shocks for the Ultra, not 12"...

Old 08-14-2017, 07:17 PM
bassnman
Cruiser

The other thing I learned today is that Harley uses "E" type oil in the forks, E aka "20" weight oil witch is way too heavy thats why the forks do not take the bumps well & the front end bounces right over the bumps.
One guy on the board wrote that he switched from 20w oil to Redline 10 w & that helped w/the front suspension..
Changing the oil weight is my next move & possibly changing fok springs??

Old 08-15-2017, 01:48 PM
lightweight bob
Road Master
Received 150 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Fork oil ..................

Originally Posted by bassnman
The other thing I learned today is that Harley uses "E" type oil in the forks, E aka "20" weight oil witch is way too heavy thats why the forks do not take the bumps well & the front end bounces right over the bumps.
One guy on the board wrote that he switched from 20w oil to Redline 10 w & that helped w/the front suspension..
Changing the oil weight is my next move & possibly changing fok springs??
I went thru a ton of threads before changing my fork oil as many 2013 Limited owners were dissatisfied. Those that used
tried and true HD heavy reported overly stiff ride so I settled on Bel-Ray 15w that others reported good luck with and I'm
delighted with it's performance. The factory fluid came out like water and I really doubt that it's anywhere near 20w oil.
Before I purchase new shocks I'm going to give Bel-Ray 10w shock fluid a chance as I'd like to keep the air shock
adjustability. Do note that fork oil and shock fluids do not have the same chemical makeup fwiw.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:10 PM
bassnman
Cruiser

LWgt Bob
I'm changing out my fork oil tomorrow morning, using BelRay 10 W, did 300 mi on some rough roads in NY state & the rear end never bottomed out w/ the Drag Spec shocks that are set to 13 -1/4" & the softest setting, it rides good w/the exception of the "stiff" front end that bounces over the frost heaves in the roads.
I'll keep you posted on the results of the 10w oil..I'm sure it'll make a difference..

Old 09-03-2017, 11:05 PM
bassnman
Cruiser

Bob,
so far so good w/ the Bel Ray 10w fork oil, front end is still stiff, I mite go to a 5w fork oil & see how it works..