Air Suspensions All you Air Ride Suspension Owners can discuss your Rides here

08 Ultra rear lowering question

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 12:21 PM
UltraTech
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 08 Ultra rear lowering question

i found that one of my stock rear shocks is leaking oil, just starting. it is holding air but for how long who knows.
i am thinking of going with the stock HD lowering rears since i have a short inseam but the factory height has been fine for 11 years so not really an issue.
i have a concern with bottoming out with the shorter shocks.
i am 6'1" and 280, wife is 5'7" and 150.
anybody have an issue with the shorter shocks bottoming out?

Old 05-23-2019, 08:37 PM
ColdRain
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I dont run shorter shocks myself, But after 11 years you will possibly notice your turn radius will be a bit worse. You will be dragging floor boards at less of a lean angle. My wife's bike had the lowering done to it.. rode like crap regardless of what the air pressure was on the air shocks. I moved to Ohlin HD-044 (HD-357) and it made the ride MUCH smoother. You can adjust sag via the spring tension, dampening, compression, and length +/- 1 inch I think, not sure on length adjustment. Pretty penny but worth every one 2 fold. Picked mine up from Cycle Solutions, make a low ball offer and they will call and inform you the lowest they will go. I paid 1299 out the door a few years back. Called and asked about a lighter spring for my 10 ultra.. they shipped one out to me no charge. Great customer service. Put the better spring on when I purchased my 14 CVO. Pulling the shocks off my 10 Ultra and installed on my CVO.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:53 PM
UltraTech
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ColdRain
I dont run shorter shocks myself, But after 11 years you will possibly notice your turn radius will be a bit worse. You will be dragging floor boards at less of a lean angle. My wife's bike had the lowering done to it.. rode like crap regardless of what the air pressure was on the air shocks. I moved to Ohlin HD-044 (HD-357) and it made the ride MUCH smoother. You can adjust sag via the spring tension, dampening, compression, and length +/- 1 inch I think, not sure on length adjustment. Pretty penny but worth every one 2 fold. Picked mine up from Cycle Solutions, make a low ball offer and they will call and inform you the lowest they will go. I paid 1299 out the door a few years back. Called and asked about a lighter spring for my 10 ultra.. they shipped one out to me no charge. Great customer service. Put the better spring on when I purchased my 14 CVO. Pulling the shocks off my 10 Ultra and installed on my CVO.
Ok. Thanks. Was looking at different solutions and ohlin did come up. Floorboard dragging? You mean those things that get in the way of me cutting a shaper turn? I’ve replaced them twice from wear!

Old 05-23-2019, 08:54 PM
ColdRain
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Then you do not want to lower the bike any.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:57 PM
UltraTech
Cruiser

Originally Posted by UltraTech
Ok. Thanks. Was looking at different solutions and ohlin did come up. Floorboard dragging? You mean those things that get in the way of me cutting a shaper turn? I’ve replaced them twice from wear!
Myra it’s a conundrum. I’m 6’ with a 28” inseam, just think Oompa Loompa. I’ve managed but I’ve never been able to be flat footed when stopped. Going to probably go the seat rebuild route. My stock seat cover is shot anyway.

Old 05-29-2019, 11:08 AM
nightcop28
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had my seat done by Mean City Cycles. Best seat mods, hands down and great people to deal with. Brought me about 1" closer to the ground and the seat is more comfortable (and prettier) than stock. Ck out meancitycycles.com

This is my new seat from Mean City Cycles.

Old 06-02-2019, 05:29 AM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 799 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraTech
i found that one of my stock rear shocks is leaking oil, just starting. it is holding air but for how long who knows.
i am thinking of going with the stock HD lowering rears since i have a short inseam but the factory height has been fine for 11 years so not really an issue.
i have a concern with bottoming out with the shorter shocks.
i am 6'1" and 280, wife is 5'7" and 150.
anybody have an issue with the shorter shocks bottoming out?
YES.

i'm your opposite...Short: 5'-5" with 28" inseam and only weigh 155 lbs. However, my lady is a little heavier than me and our combinded weight is aabout 360 lbs.

Because I'm short, I had my brand new '19 SGS lowered 1" rear and front so I can "almost" flat foot. That is 11" rear shocks and 1" shorter front suspension. Everything is fine for me riding solo, but when 2-up, even with the shocks at their stiffest setting I get tire rub. So I trying to find out if there is a solution to this problem and if Air Suspension is that solution. Going back to the stock 12" shocks might work OK when 2-up but would not be the ideal for when I'm riding solo.

Last edited by FrankEV; 06-02-2019 at 05:32 AM.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:16 AM
UltraTech
Cruiser

Originally Posted by nightcop28
Had my seat done by Mean City Cycles. Best seat mods, hands down and great people to deal with. Brought me about 1" closer to the ground and the seat is more comfortable (and prettier) than stock. Ck out meancitycycles.com

This is my new seat from Mean City Cycles.
Hey thanks for the input. I am in contact with mean city now. I am looking at multiple mods so they are working on a solution that fits my needs. Would be great if they had samples to send out like maybe on a deposit deal. Try for a week type thing. It’s quite a bitacoin for something I may not like. I’ll post my results

Old 06-02-2019, 07:23 AM
UltraTech
Cruiser

Originally Posted by FrankEV
YES.

i'm your opposite...Short: 5'-5" with 28" inseam and only weigh 155 lbs. However, my lady is a little heavier than me and our combinded weight is aabout 360 lbs.

Because I'm short, I had my brand new '19 SGS lowered 1" rear and front so I can "almost" flat foot. That is 11" rear shocks and 1" shorter front suspension. Everything is fine for me riding solo, but when 2-up, even with the shocks at their stiffest setting I get tire rub. So I trying to find out if there is a solution to this problem and if Air Suspension is that solution. Going back to the stock 12" shocks might work OK when 2-up but would not be the ideal for when I'm riding solo.
Lmao. Your not my opposite your proportionally normal!!! Man I’m a ****ing Oompa Loompa man!!
looking at seat mods as everyone has pretty much guided me away from lowering. Thing is I’ve had this ride for 11 years and dealt with it. My road king and softail I could flat foot. This is my first non dirt bike that was an issue and I guess cuz I’m gettin on in years I’m looking for perfection
thanks for excellent input.