Air Suspensions All you Air Ride Suspension Owners can discuss your Rides here

Thought on Platinum Bleed feed after 6 weeks...

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 12:01 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Thought on Platinum Bleed feed after 6 weeks...

I have had the Bleed feed on my ride for about 6 weeks now and I want to provide a more thorough review now that I have had plenty of time to evaluate it.

The install is straight forward although I learned quite a few things about the system through trial and error. The ride is superb with this system. I had a small air leak for the first week or so. I sprayed the fittings with soapy water as is done and discovered it was coming from the rear fitting on the shock body where the air line attaches. A couple of turns with a wrench fixed the problem and it is has been rock solid ever since. When installing tighen all of these fittings a bit to ensure a proper seal.

The ability of this system to adjust ride height and rebound gives it a silky smooth ride. There are two switches, one for each. I mounted my switches next to the seat on the left side which is not the best place to mount them, but works fine for me. I fill mine using both switches until it reaches full height and for 5 more seconds. Then I adjust the height down a bit to allow for some rebound to soak up the bumps. When Mike from Platinum came out to the shop (Kudos!)he showed me a few tricks and taught me how to adjust the system properly. If you hit one switch up and the other down the system will drop all the way down fast. And as I just said, the proper way to fill is to push down on both switches until it reaches full ride height and for a bit longer. I weight about 190 so I find 5 seconds past full works for me. He advised 10 seconds as he is a a guy I would not want to come across in a dark alley.

The thing that makes this system different from their simple air ride kit or the Hi Lo for example is that each cylinder has two air chambers one that adjsut the ride height and firmness, the other which adjusts the rebound of the first setting. Adjusting the rebound effectively lowers the bike allowing for differnt amounts of travel on the shock. I have tried riding this in all different setting and when I find the sweet spot I feel notihing. It is gliding on air. There is "pogo" effect due to the rebound the shock supplies. You can ride it with the bike completely slammed with no air in either cylinder or you can fill the first cylinder and sue the rebound adjustment to lower it all the way down. It can all be done on the fly as well, so if you are on a long flat road slam it, and them when you see a turn coming pump it back up. It really is a lot of fun and the looks you get from people when you slam it riding down the highway are intense. I have had quite a few people ask me what I did to make the bike drop like that.

The kit's controls are all mounted on the splash guard that comes with the kit. If you have a rocker you will have to take the controls off the splash guard and mount them on the inside of your fender. Sorry rocker guys, just the way it is. Routing the air lines and having them cut to the proper length is key. The air lines need to run down in between the shocks up as high as possible so they do not hit the road. Also, make sure they are no where near the belt. I learned this the hard way. Check clearance with the bike all the way up, all the way down, and at each point in between. It sounds like a lot of work, but it really is not.

My buddies who all have the Hi Lo watch how fast my air ride pumps up and are jealous as can be as this kit comes with a big beefy compressor. Then watch as I ride and all want to ride it to try it out. It looks like most of them will be getting the Platinum when they have the cash.

All in all I can say this kit is head and shoulders above the Hi Lo I had previously. I am aware there are other kits out there that many of you have. I WOULD APPRECIATE IT IF WE COULD KEEP THIS THREAD ABOUT THE PLATINUM. Let's play nice today.

Drew

Old 05-25-2010, 01:30 AM
Big H
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I had a full kit that came off a wrecked bike sitting on my shelf that my buddy owned. He wanted to sell it but it sat there for at least 3 months and he knew I wanted it. He finally just said, "screw it, if I don't sell it in the next week you can just keep it." Of course, you know what happened. I don't have a kit.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:41 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

Oh well. What can ya do.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:56 AM
Dick Darko
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

would the average slightly mechanically inclined joe be able to do the install himself?

Old 05-25-2010, 09:18 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

Yes. It will take a bit of time to get everything run properly. The most difficult part is getting air lines cut to a proper length and running them properly. Also, there is a piece of a bracket that needs to be cut off to allow the compressor to fit. The rear wheel needs to come for install as well. If you take your time you will be fine and as with everything there is a bit of a learning curve.

Drew

Drew

Old 07-07-2010, 07:17 AM
Great Gazoo
Tourer

Drew,

After reading your post and doing some research I am seriously thinking about the Platinum Bleed Feed for my softail - winter project

How much would one these setups cost shipped to Montreal Canada? You also mention a bracket that needs to be cut? I am mechanically inclined so plan to do install myself.

Tom

Old 07-07-2010, 10:58 AM
NEVETTE
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plus 1 on everything Drew said about the Platinum Bleed and Feed. I've had mine for over a year now and Drew nailed the way the system works and performs. I've mentioned in different posts about how quick it raises the bike because of the size of the compressor and the ability to adjust on the fly. Really a great system, and for any of you on the fence, you can't go wrong with the quality of the Platinum Bleed and Feed system.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:42 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

PM sent to GreatGazoo. This system is top notch guys. Well worth the price of admission. I still love it.

Drew

Old 07-07-2010, 05:44 PM
vulcanater
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+2 on the Platinum. I also learned the hard way to keep the lines away from the belt. I love the kit. And so does my wife. She can tell a big difference riding on the back too. I burnt up my compressor though. I just got a new one but haven't took the time to re-install the kit yet. I had the switches above the coil. But my leg would hit them sometimes while I was getting on. And if the bike was running, I wouldn't hear the compressor. So I burnt it up. I'll be moving my switches to the side of the dash this time. I don't like the looks of them there as much, but I don't want to take the chance on burning the compressor up again either.

Chop On,
Robert

Old 07-07-2010, 09:03 PM
Great Gazoo
Tourer

Can the switches be put on the handlebars like some others I've seen? I'm sold on it already - gonna be my long Canadian winter project...

Quick Reply: Thought on Platinum Bleed feed after 6 weeks...