Air Suspensions All you Air Ride Suspension Owners can discuss your Rides here

best air ride

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 11:12 AM
inkjunkie
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blow the dust off of this one...

Did a net search on best air ride system and stumbled here. Looking into getting an air ride. Seems like there is no clear cut answer as to which one is simply the best. Anyone got any more, perhaps current, input on the Shotgun system?

Old 02-13-2015, 06:03 AM
Joshcobra
Stage I

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
The shotgun Shock is by far the best air ride available for a softail. Best and most affordable don't usually belong in the same sentence. Other systems include the Hi Lo, Platinum Bleed Feed, Legends, and a few otehrs. I have run teh Hi Lo and the Platinum as well. There is no comparison between either of them and the Shotgun. My advice having had all 3 of these is to save your money. You do get what you pay for.

To go a little further into explanation as to why one is better than the other, read on. The Hi Lo consists of two single cylinder shock bodies and a small compressor that raises and lwoers it. It only allows adjustment of the ride height and the pressure in the shock for the ride height. There fore youc an put as much air pressure in the shocks as you wish, hwoever you cannot regulare teh rebound of teh shock. So, if you hit a bump at 80 MPH with the shock filled with too much air you will get what is referred to as the pogo effect. You will get bounced off the seat as the bike jars your lower back due to the excessive amount of air in the system. There is no way to adjust how much travel the shock has to saok up the bump you hit at that air pressure.

Now on to Platinum. Platinum offers the same adjustments as the Shotgun Shock but consists of two separate shock bodies and and a splash guard which mounts the controls. Each shock body has two connections for air lines which run to y's and all connect to the controls on their splash guard. The two separate shock bodies are not nearly as durable as the single piece shotgun unit and the excess of air liens that connect the system, together are prone to leaking due to the fact that the splash guard moves with the swingarm as it modulates up and down. This mvoement can cuase leaks, as can the connectors on the shock bodies. These can be problematic to chase down and fix, and after a while became a serious hassle to me. Also, should one of these air lines break while riding your system will lose the air in whichever chamber the air lien breaks cuasing teh shock to drop down. It happened to me on the freeway once. Not fun.

Now to the benefits of the Shotgun shock that actually explain why it is worth the money. No external airlines with the exception of the air line from the beefy compressor to the shock body itself. No need to worry about air line leaks as the shock body has a check valve that holds the air in the shock body even if the air line should break which is virtually impossible due to the design. Designed to be easily removable for transmission oil changes. Ride height and rebound adjustments to allow the shock to be fully adjustable and set perfectly for every type of riding. They can all be adjusted on the fly, but once you find your sweet spot set it and forget it. Lower it with the rebound setting and you can raise it back to the sweet spot in a second.

The single piece shock body makes the bike so much more stable than either of the other two systems that I was really surprised. I did not realize that this would affect the ability of the bike to feel so stable.

So no leaks...
On the fly Adjustable rebound and ride height
5 year warranty which will never be needed
Simple install compared to either of the other two above
check valve and no external air lines
Simple tranny oil changes, etc!

Drew
Great write up, thanks!

Old 07-20-2016, 04:08 PM
BostonMike
Stage III
Default Air Suspension for Softail Deluxe

I have a 2011 FLSTN that I am looking to install an Air Ride on. My searches have turned up the following 3 suspensions; SAS ($1200), Shotgun ($1750), and Arnott True-Air ($1350).

I have seen quite a few reviews of the Shotgun, does anyone have any feedback on either of the other two?

Thanks All

Old 08-29-2016, 05:51 PM
J.D.1
Former Sponsor
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonMike
I have a 2011 FLSTN that I am looking to install an Air Ride on. My searches have turned up the following 3 suspensions; SAS ($1200), Shotgun ($1750), and Arnott True-Air ($1350).

I have seen quite a few reviews of the Shotgun, does anyone have any feedback on either of the other two?

Thanks All
1750 is retail for the Bagger fitment, 1550 is retail for softail fitment, with HDF discount 1400 plus shipping and handling, let me know if I can answer any questions, JD 3233594914

Old 09-09-2016, 09:00 AM
LURCH634
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by J.D.1
1750 is retail for the Bagger fitment, 1550 is retail for softail fitment, with HDF discount 1400 plus shipping and handling, let me know if I can answer any questions, JD 3233594914
just sent you a pm

Old 11-14-2016, 11:48 AM
rquest
Road Master
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
The shotgun Shock is by far the best air ride available for a softail. Best and most affordable don't usually belong in the same sentence. Other systems include the Hi Lo, Platinum Bleed Feed, Legends, and a few otehrs. I have run teh Hi Lo and the Platinum as well. There is no comparison between either of them and the Shotgun. My advice having had all 3 of these is to save your money. You do get what you pay for.

To go a little further into explanation as to why one is better than the other, read on. The Hi Lo consists of two single cylinder shock bodies and a small compressor that raises and lwoers it. It only allows adjustment of the ride height and the pressure in the shock for the ride height. There fore youc an put as much air pressure in the shocks as you wish, hwoever you cannot regulare teh rebound of teh shock. So, if you hit a bump at 80 MPH with the shock filled with too much air you will get what is referred to as the pogo effect. You will get bounced off the seat as the bike jars your lower back due to the excessive amount of air in the system. There is no way to adjust how much travel the shock has to saok up the bump you hit at that air pressure.

Now on to Platinum. Platinum offers the same adjustments as the Shotgun Shock but consists of two separate shock bodies and and a splash guard which mounts the controls. Each shock body has two connections for air lines which run to y's and all connect to the controls on their splash guard. The two separate shock bodies are not nearly as durable as the single piece shotgun unit and the excess of air liens that connect the system, together are prone to leaking due to the fact that the splash guard moves with the swingarm as it modulates up and down. This mvoement can cuase leaks, as can the connectors on the shock bodies. These can be problematic to chase down and fix, and after a while became a serious hassle to me. Also, should one of these air lines break while riding your system will lose the air in whichever chamber the air lien breaks cuasing teh shock to drop down. It happened to me on the freeway once. Not fun.

Now to the benefits of the Shotgun shock that actually explain why it is worth the money. No external airlines with the exception of the air line from the beefy compressor to the shock body itself. No need to worry about air line leaks as the shock body has a check valve that holds the air in the shock body even if the air line should break which is virtually impossible due to the design. Designed to be easily removable for transmission oil changes. Ride height and rebound adjustments to allow the shock to be fully adjustable and set perfectly for every type of riding. They can all be adjusted on the fly, but once you find your sweet spot set it and forget it. Lower it with the rebound setting and you can raise it back to the sweet spot in a second.

The single piece shock body makes the bike so much more stable than either of the other two systems that I was really surprised. I did not realize that this would affect the ability of the bike to feel so stable.

So no leaks...
On the fly Adjustable rebound and ride height
5 year warranty which will never be needed
Simple install compared to either of the other two above
check valve and no external air lines
Simple tranny oil changes, etc!

Drew
I just came upon this thread and thought it was worth a re-post, good work Drew!

Old 11-29-2016, 06:30 AM
Fatburger
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonMike

Thanks All
I just put the SAS on my fatboy lo. Awesome. The difference is unreal compared to my progressive 422s. I like the idea of all in one. No compressor to mount. Not knocking JD in the least. Great product and great service. Murphy's law follows me like I got a pork chop tied around my neck so I opted for the system less likely to have issues, less options and less lowering and raising capability than the SS but I was freakin amazed at the difference in ride. No one with SAS on here has had any issues that I've read about. Nor has anyone said anything about SAS's warranty or if they had to replace anything. JD is always available to address any issues asap. Very rare nowadays. Good luck either way. You won't regret it.

Last edited by Fatburger; 11-29-2016 at 06:35 AM.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:28 PM
locokk64
4th Gear

I am interested in purchasing one set for my 07 deluxe. Could you PM me with a total price to 06902. Tx

Old 09-10-2019, 12:54 PM
EZRider1968
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where does the compressor mount for a 97 Heritage Softail? I'm interested in getting the Shotgun ASAP! Is there any videos on install for this year? Is the price still the same for forum members? Thanks JD

Old 09-10-2019, 01:54 PM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by EZRider1968
Where does the compressor mount for a 97 Heritage Softail? I'm interested in getting the Shotgun ASAP! Is there any videos on install for this year? Is the price still the same for forum members? Thanks JD
It mounts on the swing arm axle under the panel in front of the rear wheel.

Quick Reply: best air ride