Air Suspensions All you Air Ride Suspension Owners can discuss your Rides here

SAS air ride Vs. Shotgun Shock install and review thread...

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 09:36 PM
CalBear96
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Air shock moron

Originally Posted by tgs989
Hello everyone, I installed the Shotgun Air Shocks on my 05 Fatboy and what a difference, I can control the ride height and the amount of cushion by flipping one or both toggle switch's. I had no problems with installation or air leaking out. It works Great & I am very pleased with the product. I am not affiliated in no way to Shotgun Shocks, I just wanted folks to know that it makes riding so much easier on older bones-Tim in MI
This was a very good thread. I keep reading about the SS and other air shocks and love the slammed look of the various motorcycles with them and assume that you increase the height when you ride. My biggest question is does the shock actually offer a more comfortable and/or better ride than the stock shocks? Specifically on the Breakout as that is the ride I am looking at. When I say better ride I mean does it allow for better cornering or provide greater agility? I know it allows for far greater adjustability, but the quality of ride change is what I don't know.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:59 PM
FurryOne
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by CalBear96
My biggest question is does the shock actually offer a more comfortable and/or better ride than the stock shocks? Specifically on the Breakout as that is the ride I am looking at.
One of the first things I did to my 2013 ABS Breakout was to add the Shotgun shock. The ride difference was night & day. Before it I was getting beat up by all the cement abutments in the roads around here (Winter is hell!), and actually was airborne on some roads. With the Shotguns I set it for soft and it sucks up the abutments without a sweat! I haven't noticed any cornering problems, even set on soft, and I lay it over pretty far for a Breakout. I've extended the wiring for the up/down switches and now have mine mounted in an HD switch housing by my left grip.

Attached Thumbnails SAS air ride Vs. Shotgun Shock install and review thread...-img_0902.jpg  
Old 04-09-2015, 02:21 PM
J.D.1
Former Sponsor
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default bike will feel more stable with the shotgunshock

Originally Posted by CalBear96
This was a very good thread. I keep reading about the SS and other air shocks and love the slammed look of the various motorcycles with them and assume that you increase the height when you ride. My biggest question is does the shock actually offer a more comfortable and/or better ride than the stock shocks? Specifically on the Breakout as that is the ride I am looking at. When I say better ride I mean does it allow for better cornering or provide greater agility? I know it allows for far greater adjustability, but the quality of ride change is what I don't know.

Thanks in advance for the replies.
many of our customers comment that bike handles better with the shotgunshock, come by our booth at the Riverside at the Laughlin river run and you can check out our disply bikes, and we do installs there

The following users liked this post:
Big Lou's Garage (01-06-2023)
Old 04-19-2015, 08:49 PM
Awful Allen
Intermediate
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2 up

I ride mostly 2 up on my 08 Fatboy with factory bag kit. My only 'con' about the SS is the speed it raises the bike at....it takes about 16-20 seconds to raise the bike......other than that it works great! Being able to adjust the ride height is very important to me as I drag a lot in the corners.

Old 01-06-2017, 10:42 PM
Fatburger
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Okay I got the SAS. Took it to get 10K done at a very knowledgeable shop. Not Harley. What was I thinking? The SAS unit blocks the tranny oil plug. You have to take the whole unit off to change the tranny oil. I love the ride difference and the SAS works great but if I had to do it again I'd get the Shotgun Shock for sure. JD thought of everything and obviously set the standard for quality and customer service.

Last edited by Fatburger; 01-28-2017 at 04:29 AM.
Old 05-12-2017, 02:35 PM
SunDevil45
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

SAS Vs. SS...

Not trying to start battle of the brands, just assuming since this was last bumped that several more members have installed either a SAS or SS system.

I am looking at doing one or the other on a new FLSTN with ABS.

From what I have read, both seem to be solid performers with the SS being a bit more adjustable than the SAS system & the SAS being a bit easier to install. Don't see much in the way of issues or negative reviews for either unit.

At any rate, I have a chance to pick up the SAS for about $1000.

So, I guess what I am getting at, is there a very good reason to spend $400+ on the Shotgun over SAS? A buddy has the SAS & I like the ride, never been on a bike with SS tho, so can't compare personally. Just wondering if there is some reason I'd be kicking myself if I did go SAS? Tough call, y'all say great things about the service, but that cost difference, well = the chrome double barrel sucker I've been eyeballing & the high flow cleaner.

Oh, also, I can get the SAS now, was told 4+ weeks for SS, which is another factor slightly favoring SAS.

Old 05-14-2017, 03:15 PM
mrfatboylo
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SunDevil45
SAS Vs. SS...
So, I guess what I am getting at, is there a very good reason to spend $400+ on the Shotgun over SAS? .

seems like the ability to drain your tranny fluid without removing the shocks would be a deal breaker for getting the 1 unit system.

Old 05-14-2017, 05:57 PM
SunDevil45
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mrfatboylo
seems like the ability to drain your tranny fluid without removing the shocks would be a deal breaker for getting the 1 unit system.
Did something change? I was under the impression that either way you have to undo one side & swing it out of the way. Is this no longer the case for the SS?

Old 10-02-2018, 11:08 AM
MRPHS
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts

Does anybody have any updates to for the SAS suspension? I'd like to install air shocks on my 17 Slim but am also interested in an OilBud cooler. Problem with the Shotgun shock is the compressor would interfere with the rear element of the OilBud.

Old 10-02-2018, 11:48 AM
SunDevil45
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MRPHS
Does anybody have any updates to for the SAS suspension? I'd like to install air shocks on my 17 Slim but am also interested in an OilBud cooler. Problem with the Shotgun shock is the compressor would interfere with the rear element of the OilBud.
Contact Bud... He can make one with larger front element, or you can bypass the rear & still get pretty close to spec Delta-T.

Quick Reply: SAS air ride Vs. Shotgun Shock install and review thread...