Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lousy XM reception, where did you mount your XM antenna?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 04:26 PM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member

Received 999 Likes on 495 Posts
Default Lousy XM reception, where did you mount your XM antenna?

I'm running a Kenwood HU with BT amp and 7.1 speakers on a 2013 RGC. I have a SXV300v1 XM antenna and can't seem to find good reception. I started off with it on top of the "dashboard" above the radio - I didn't think the windshield would block the signal but no go. The reception was fine in the driveway but cuts out constantly (several times every minute and regularly gives the check antenna message for minutes at a time) going down the road. I've tried the gas tank and the fender just messing around and really not much better.

Do you think maybe I got a bad unit or where have you mounted yours to get solid reception?

Also, is it normal for XM to have pretty lousy sound quality? The radio, phone through the aux port, USB port and BT, and thumb drives in the USB port all sound awesome - but the XM stations just don't have much sound quality or volume, maybe it's tied to the weak signal.

Thanks in advance and ride safe.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:48 PM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 724 Likes on 483 Posts

Sound quality in my 15 Silverado and 08 enclave was and is shitty.. Sounds like it's in a can all the S sounds hiss and so on.. Xm says it's the the factory antenna.. Gm says it's xm

Old 05-21-2015, 08:10 PM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Bad unit....

myself and 4 friends all went to after market radios and sirus module and 3 of us had to return them to get new ones because of the bad reception. The new one flawless and never skips a beat same results for my friends.. does not matter where you mount it will not work just cuts in and out does it say "check antenna"?

call sirus they will help

Old 05-21-2015, 08:11 PM
1plumr1
Road Warrior
Received 410 Likes on 219 Posts

I use the zumo gxm40 magnet mounted on top of radio in faring, no issues at all. Sound quality is good through the aux port and even better using Bluetooth through unclear head set. Also 2013 Ford Edge has great quality sound. I'd guess XM unit or antenna.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:13 PM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member

forgot this part..

we bought them at best buy so they took them back and exchanged for new. no question asked

I have the antenna mounted above one the speakers

Old 05-21-2015, 08:38 PM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by scumBAGGER
Bad unit....

myself and 4 friends all went to after market radios and sirus module and 3 of us had to return them to get new ones because of the bad reception. The new one flawless and never skips a beat same results for my friends.. does not matter where you mount it will not work just cuts in and out does it say "check antenna"?

I got mine off Amazon, guess I'll find out tomorrow how the return process works. Yep, I get the check antenna message constantly.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:47 PM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Roadie13
I got mine off Amazon, guess I'll find out tomorrow how the return process works. Yep, I get the check antenna message constantly.

yeap "check antenna" kiss of death to unit

Old 05-22-2015, 08:20 AM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member

I've been pretty lucky so far this morning. Called Sirius and they are waiving the transfer fee of $15 for swapping units since it was defective. Even though I'm past the 30 day warranty from Amazon they are taking the return (bought it back in Feb but didn't install until April). The local best buy actually has them in stock so can pick a new one up today and test immediately. Hopefully the new unit takes care of it........

Old 05-22-2015, 11:57 AM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member

Ran out during lunch to grab a new unit and it appears to be working much better. Didn't have time for a road test because I'm pulling my amp to swap and had to get back to work, but the signal came in immediately on activation, sounded better and didn't lose it at all over a 10 minute period which would not have been possible with the old one.

Thanks for the input, have a great Memorial weekend........

Old 06-27-2015, 08:15 AM
hotdog1922
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scumBAGGER
Bad unit....

When you say bad Unit do you mean the deck or the sirius module ?
I'm having the same problem. After market deck. I had the deck replaced works fine for a while now same problem.

Quick Reply: Lousy XM reception, where did you mount your XM antenna?