Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BT & Kenwood Excelon KDC-X798

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 10:07 AM
major91
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BT & Kenwood Excelon KDC-X798

Morning all!

So yesterday I started my audio upgrade. I currently have a 2012 SG.....HK radio with the HD HK AMP on top of the HU. I did not purchase a package deal with BT's HU's and there Retro kit since I was looking for a different HU from what BT provides.

Along with the KDC-X798 I have the Biketronics BT1005X Fairing and Wiring Kit. I have a few questions if anyone can help out.

This bike has the Sirius XM connected and worked with the HK radio. It seems like the XM is connected to a harness under the HU so am I going to be able to keep XM with the Kenwood system?

Also I have to take 4 wires from the Kenwoods wiring harness and insert the wires into the designated pin opening of the bikes wiring harness that was to the right of the HK stereo. I don't really want to solder these connection in view of having to use this harness in a different fashion down the road. Looking for ideas on what to do about it. Was thinking about heat shrinking the entire harness once the wires are in place and hope the connections stay in place.....

I have not fired anything up yet........have one right side back screw to somehow get into the side of the Kenwood.....its so friggin tight back there having a hell of of time getting that in.........anyone have any tricks on that one also would be great!

Any info would be great! TX!!!!

Old 08-17-2015, 12:33 PM
tdgriff
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a long Allen wrench with a round end . The 798 is a great HU . You can get a XM receiver for cheap at best buy or on line . As to the 4 wires if you don't want to solder the wires then put ends on them you can unplug . I have been running the 798 fo over a year and love it. The settings can be confusing but when you get it figured out you will love it.

Old 08-17-2015, 01:06 PM
major91
Advanced
Default Thanks

So your saying that the current XM setup I have will not work with the Kenwood system? (Sorry newby to XM) See the reason is that I bought this bike off a private party and the XM was live....told the previous owner about it and it still is active.

Can you be more specific on the 'ends' part of your comments.....do they have a name or provide a link to what I need to look for at like HD?

Thanks for the info too!

Old 08-17-2015, 01:17 PM
tdgriff
Club Member

If your XM has the same plug then it will work just fine . Just plug it in. Can you be more clear on the info you want . I think you are talking about the settings. Loud off AVC off and you will have to tune it all in

Old 08-17-2015, 01:33 PM
major91
Advanced
Default :)

Yaaaa no like I said the current setup for the XM looks like it plugs into a small harness and did not direct connect to the HK Head Unit.

OK sorry if i'm not clear.......LOL

So I asked what alternatives to use on the 4 wires I need to connect to the wiring harness. I did not want to solder the 4 wires to the harness in case I need to change it up in the future. You stated use 'ends' on the wiring so you can unplug them later on if needed.

Just don't know what to look for or what there called........

Old 08-17-2015, 02:13 PM
major91
Advanced
Default ?

So I did some digging on the net.........am I to use a Molex connector for the wires to attach to the harness? I think that would be it.....not sure.......? If so anyone know what size to get?

Sorry to many questions.......just need to get this done with.........and want to do it right.....

Old 08-17-2015, 02:40 PM
tdgriff
Club Member

I would get the BT module it works with almost all HU I have it on my bike and it works fine with my Kenwood 798. Then you don't have to worry about the 4 wires . If not the connections you are looking for you can get at any hardware store. They will know what you're talking about

Old 08-20-2015, 09:44 PM
Robjr
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I bought a complete system from BT, the stuff rocks and was very easy to install. Kenwood HU,BT4180 amp,BT 7 1/4 speakers.

Old 08-20-2015, 10:18 PM
h-d wrencher
Stellar HDF Member
Received 796 Likes on 302 Posts

I just installed the Biketronics unit with a Kenwood KDC-X798 yesterday. The only thing I can add is I will never live long enough to learn everything it can do.

Old 08-21-2015, 06:42 AM
major91
Advanced
Default Lowers

See my problem is that my current setup has the HK radio.....HK HD 300 AMP sitting on top with Lower fairing speakers. They have the Boom logo on the speaker screen and HD on the speak under. After speaking with Bill at BT and taking pictures of my connectors that got to the lowers which seem to be HD stock connectors he has not seen my setup before and does not have the same connectors. Now rewiring the bike would be my only option which I probably will end up doing. Like I said with the Kenwood unit I do have the BT harness. Not sure why this was such an issue with BT but onto another resource now.........

Also not that my intention was not to use the HD Amp anymore since the output from the new Kenwood system would of sounded better.