Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to figure out how many watts are reaching speakers

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 10:58 AM
Ride my Seesaw
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,546 Likes on 727 Posts

That 400 watts would be instantaneous peaks, don't think of it as average music power. Audio is very dynamic and your actual output is probably significantly less.

Old 02-27-2016, 11:25 AM
Babyboy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 460 Likes on 386 Posts

The gains are used to match the HU output voltage to the input of the amp

The following users liked this post:
grumble (07-01-2017)
Old 02-27-2016, 11:37 AM
ep120794
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok so I took a new measurement. I put the pos dmm lead on the pos right speaker spade and the neg dmm lead on the left speaker spade and it read 26.7. That's more what I was expecting. I probably should have done this in the beginning where I had the pos dmm lead on the right speaker pos spade and the neg dmm lead to the left speaker neg spade because the amp is bridged. Does that make sense?

Old 02-27-2016, 08:00 PM
Ride my Seesaw
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,546 Likes on 727 Posts

Are you trying to measure total delivered amplifier power or amplifier power to each speaker?

Next you have to ascertain whether your DMM is measuring and displaying AC voltage as peak power or RMS. If it's measuring RMS and you want to calculate it as peak power then multiply the DMM's reading by 1.4141, if your DMM is displaying in PEAK and you want the RMS value, then multiply by 0.7071.
The rest of the formula to calculate wattage is easy, multiply your voltage by your voltage (ie. 26.7 x 26.7) and divide that answer (712.89) by your speaker's impedance, in this case 4 ohms. You will get the answer in watts delivered, in this case 178.2225 Watts, measured at the terminal nodes you chose.
When adjusting gains, it's best to use an oscilloscope rather than a DMM placed on the speaker terminals. That way you can adjust the gain until you see the audio waveform peaks starting to distort. At this point you can back the gain down a smidgen and you will now have set the gain as precisely as can be. There are some caveats to this when setting gains on amplifiers that also have a 'Slope' or 'Tilt' trimmer. That is because most people will set gains at 1 kHz, however most amplifiers are a little more efficient at lower frequencies, or the speaker impedance might drop off a little. This causes the base notes to distort or sound muddy even the the higher tones are clear. A tilt trimmer will literally tilt your gain away at the lower end of the audio spectrum and increase it at the higher end. In other cases amps will have a pass filter that allows you to cut off the lower notes that will consume power from your amp, distort, and otherwise not be fully passed on to a speaker that couldn't possibly reproduce such a low frequency anyhow.

Old 02-27-2016, 10:58 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by Ride my Seesaw
Are you trying to measure total delivered amplifier power or amplifier power to each speaker?

Next you have to ascertain whether your DMM is measuring and displaying AC voltage as peak power or RMS. If it's measuring RMS and you want to calculate it as peak power then multiply the DMM's reading by 1.4141, if your DMM is displaying in PEAK and you want the RMS value, then multiply by 0.7071.
The rest of the formula to calculate wattage is easy, multiply your voltage by your voltage (ie. 26.7 x 26.7) and divide that answer (712.89) by your speaker's impedance, in this case 4 ohms. You will get the answer in watts delivered, in this case 178.2225 Watts, measured at the terminal nodes you chose.
When adjusting gains, it's best to use an oscilloscope rather than a DMM placed on the speaker terminals. That way you can adjust the gain until you see the audio waveform peaks starting to distort. At this point you can back the gain down a smidgen and you will now have set the gain as precisely as can be. There are some caveats to this when setting gains on amplifiers that also have a 'Slope' or 'Tilt' trimmer. That is because most people will set gains at 1 kHz, however most amplifiers are a little more efficient at lower frequencies, or the speaker impedance might drop off a little. This causes the base notes to distort or sound muddy even the the higher tones are clear. A tilt trimmer will literally tilt your gain away at the lower end of the audio spectrum and increase it at the higher end. In other cases amps will have a pass filter that allows you to cut off the lower notes that will consume power from your amp, distort, and otherwise not be fully passed on to a speaker that couldn't possibly reproduce such a low frequency anyhow.
Please post more often.

The following users liked this post:
T-G (02-03-2021)
Old 02-28-2016, 08:16 PM
BlackPearl#1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 111 Posts

This post deserves an award. Nice work, most over my head, but nicely done, I think...
Kris

Old 02-29-2016, 08:40 PM
HDSAE60
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackPearl#1
This post deserves an award. Nice work, most over my head, but nicely done, I think...
Kris
Yeah! Ride my seesaw hit it right on the head.

Last edited by HDSAE60; 02-29-2016 at 08:43 PM.
Old 07-01-2017, 10:24 AM
grumble
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Perfect - but the output measured in watts is for that input frequency only (I know you get this... but for the other guys out there...). In reality, the impedance of the speaker is not really 4 ohms - the impedance varies with frequency - so the output measured during tuning at a single known input frequency is an approximation of how the system is going to perform under normal operation.

But yeah, dead on.