Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 speakers amp / 2 speaker radio??

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 04:53 PM
FLHBK
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool 4 speakers amp / 2 speaker radio??

I'm running a 2012 FLHTK w/OEM HK head unit & Boom 2 speaker/amp kit 76000074 plus Boom Lowers 76000050. All dealer installed by the previous owner. It's got a detachable Tour-Pak but NO SOUND coming from the rear speakers.

When I bought the bike last year, the dealer said, "no rear audio, because you're already running 4 speakers." Made sense at the time... but sounds like BS from what I've been reading here.

The radio fader controls the lower fairing speakers which are wired to the amp along with the uppers. The Tour-Pak speakers appear to still be wired to their original locations in the 35 PIN harness. I was simply hoping to run the rears from the radio. Can this be accomplished with a simple flash from the dealer? ANY ADVICE?

Can you run the Tour-Pak speakers from the HK Head Unit?

I’m sure I’ll be underwhelmed by the sound quality and volume… but I'm just looking to keep my honey happy by letting her hear some of the music I'm enjoying up front. And since I just finished my Spring Bar Swap... I wanted to trace down this audio gremlin while I was still elbows deep in my fairing.

My first thought was an AB speaker selector to switch between lowers and rears based on my riding configuration... but can't seem to find any options for this.

Happy to pay for the Flash.... but I don't want to bring it in and open that can of worms without knowing it can be done first. Every time I ask a dealer about this... it's the same thing "Bring it in... I'm $ure we can work $omething out." NO THANKS.

Any ideas…. Thoughts?

BTW- HD is really bad at including basic specs with their "OEM"audio. I can't even find if that amp is a 2 or 4 channel and how many watts. I can see why so many go aftermarket... for both quality andproduct transparency for the user.

Old 04-06-2016, 08:20 PM
Mirnldi@gmail.com
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You should still be getting sound out of the rears. They are getting power from the head unit. Is the stock 35 pin harness disturbed at all?

Your best bet is to rip the Harley stuff out and start over. The stock head unit will shake itself to death eventually. And there amps and boom audio is mediocre at best.

The following users liked this post:
FLHBK (04-08-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 09:04 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

As far as I know there is no flash for pre Rushmore models.

If your passenger can't hear the front speaker with an amp, then you don't really have much to work with. You could dump a lot of cash into the existing Boom system and still not be satisfied. Your best bet would be to put the Boom stuff up for sale and start from scratch and get a setup you both can hear clearly at 80 mph. Did you have a budget in mind?

FLHBK (04-08-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 11:35 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Bertk
As far as I know there is no flash for pre Rushmore models.

If your passenger can't hear the front speaker with an amp, then you don't really have much to work with. You could dump a lot of cash into the existing Boom system and still not be satisfied. Your best bet would be to put the Boom stuff up for sale and start from scratch and get a setup you both can hear clearly at 80 mph. Did you have a budget in mind?
^^^^^^
That!!!

Old 04-07-2016, 01:57 PM
fl1996nos
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds to me that the OP doesn't want to spend any additional money on his current setup. Now that being said, his fade control is already activated between his upper and lower fairings. He may/may not be able to connect his TP speakers in parallel/series with his lowers depending on the specs of his amp/speakers. Of course he already stated that he will probably be underwhelmed.

FLHBK (04-08-2016)
Old 04-08-2016, 07:47 AM
FLHBK
Novice

Thanksfor all the responses…. Still figuring out all the forum nuances.

The 35 pin appears to be unmolested... but I can't for the life of me figure out HOW the fader is working with only he FRONT feeding the 4 channel amp.

I know SGs with the same HK head have to be flashed to turn on rears... wondering if the dealer somehow turned them off??

NEW QUESTION: If you had to pick only 4 speakers (we'll get to the 6 speaker options next)... what would give the best overall sound when riding solo?? Front and rear... or front and lowers??

Basically I'm considering rewiring the existing BOOM amp to drive the front fairing and rear Tour-Pak speakers (instead of front and lowers)
My thought is that would give better volume for passenger. Would it also give me a "fuller" sound when riding solo???

Let's hear those opinions... including what speakers would you suggest in the rear pods. I've learned enough to forget about investing in any more HD BOOM.

As for the 6 speaker options... If I opted to power front and rear from the AMP… I could run the lowers from the HK head for some weak fill... or let's talk about options to have the amp run the all 4 front speakers on the front channel... and Tour-Pak on rear channel.

UPDATE: Made an appointment to have them confirm the radio set up. But I still have 2 weeks to monkey around with it. For functionality... It would be nice to have the rear controls working but not a deal breaker.

FYI– I know there are MUCH BETTER audio components out there… but I think the system sounds pretty good for my needs. Like everyone else on the forum… I LIVE to RIDE. The tunes are just a BONUS. J

Old 04-08-2016, 02:34 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by FLHBK
Thanksfor all the responses…. Still figuring out all the forum nuances.

The 35 pin appears to be unmolested... but I can't for the life of me figure out HOW the fader is working with only he FRONT feeding the 4 channel amp.

I know SGs with the same HK head have to be flashed to turn on rears... wondering if the dealer somehow turned them off??
You won't know until the dealer hook it up the there Digital Tech.

NEW QUESTION: If you had to pick only 4 speakers (we'll get to the 6 speaker options next)... what would give the best overall sound when riding solo?? Front and rear... or front and lowers??

With a good amp and speakers I personally like having two fairing speakers and two in the Tourpak. I can hear all four going 80.

Basically I'm considering rewiring the existing BOOM amp to drive the front fairing and rear Tour-Pak speakers (instead of front and lowers)
My thought is that would give better volume for passenger. Would it also give me a "fuller" sound when riding solo???
The Boom amp you have can only power two speakers. And the Boom speakers you have are 2ohm and cannot be run in parallel. So unless there is another Boom amp installed under the TourPak you are limited to two speakers powered by the one amp. To add more Boom components you will have to purchase an amp for each pair of speakers.

Let's hear those opinions... including what speakers would you suggest in the rear pods. I've learned enough to forget about investing in any more HD BOOM.
This depends on budget. Personally I like the BT 4180 with BT7.1's in the fairing and the Arc Moto 602's in the Tourpak.

As for the 6 speaker options... If I opted to power front and rear from the AMP… I could run the lowers from the HK head for some weak fill... or let's talk about options to have the amp run the all 4 front speakers on the front channel... and Tour-Pak on rear channel.
With a good four channel amp you can run all six speakers as long as the two pair of speakers running in parallel are the same speakers or close to it.

UPDATE: Made an appointment to have them confirm the radio set up. But I still have 2 weeks to monkey around with it. For functionality... It would be nice to have the rear controls working but not a deal breaker.
You will need to know how the radio is setup and how the amp is setup.

FYI– I know there are MUCH BETTER audio components out there… but I think the system sounds pretty good for my needs. Like everyone else on the forum… I LIVE to RIDE. The tunes are just a BONUS.
J
If you are satisfied with "pretty good" then leave it as is. If you want to hear all six speakers then let us know what your budget is???

Old 04-08-2016, 07:23 PM
Mirnldi@gmail.com
Tourer

I'm guessing that your head unit is powering the fairing speakers and the amp is going to the lowers.

BUSAGLIDE (05-16-2016)
Old 04-10-2016, 10:33 AM
FLHBK
Novice

After more time chasing wires... looks like the amp IS powering uppers and lowers with fader control. still nothing out of the HK rears. I now see the two yellow CAN + CAN - run to the am. So I'm guess that gives the fader control.

Looks to be a straightforward dealers set up from this install sheet.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_us...ts/-j05266.pdf

This leads me to believe the Boom amp is 4 channels (because of the fader control) - Of course HD never spells it out in their marketing. Any body know for sure?? if it is.. can I run a 6 speaker set up?? My fairing and lowers are both 5.25 Boom.

I pulled the 4 rear speaker wires from the 35 pin and temporality rewired it so the AMP is driving the rears (which will need to be upgraded). Will any of the recommend aftermarket speakers (assuming they're 2 ohm) play nice with the Boom amp???

FYI - I will still bite the bullet and have the dealer tell me how the HK is set up. But I'm feeling much more knowledgeable about how my bike is configured.

Thanks for all the help.

Last edited by FLHBK; 04-10-2016 at 10:37 AM. Reason: typos
Old 04-11-2016, 04:17 PM
Mirnldi@gmail.com
Tourer

I spent $140 on a Soundstream pn4.1000d. This amp pushes 140w 4 ohm and 237w 2 ohm.
I spent $140 on 4 kicker ksc 674. They are by far not close the best speaker available, but they are better than the boom audio. I wasted money and time on the boom stuff. I know your on a tight budget. Just a suggestion.

FLHBK (04-12-2016)

Quick Reply: 4 speakers amp / 2 speaker radio??