Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Speaker Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 03:28 PM
Aerofarm
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Speaker Wiring

2011 Ultra Limited

I'm wiring in a 4 ch amp on my 2011 ultra limited. I'm using the high level inputs from the speakers with the stock HU. Is there a way to wire the amp into the rear speakers under the fairing, or do I have to run input wires from the rear speakers and then outputs back to the rear speakers. That seems like a lot of extra wire if there was a place to hook into them under the fairing.

Please advise.

Old 04-18-2016, 05:29 PM
Budda109
Road Captain
Received 67 Likes on 61 Posts

I am not the expert here. But I just did that on my bike and I have the same one. The Stock wire is too thin in my option. I ran speaker wire from the rear pods to the amp 16 gage. Ran under the gas tank in a wire channel nice and neat. Yes I removed the gas tank do that hard. If you have to run power lines to the amp in the faring. You are going to have to do that any. The high level inputs are connected to the wire coming out of the radio that tells the amp to get loader or softer. Good luck

Last edited by Budda109; 04-18-2016 at 05:32 PM. Reason: missing info
Old 04-18-2016, 09:22 PM
huntersot
Intermediate

i belive rear speaker wires come out from the back of the hu in the fairing. ill have to find the pic with the correct wire #'s

Old 04-18-2016, 09:33 PM
Budda109
Road Captain
Received 67 Likes on 61 Posts

Just look in the pod where the speakers are hooked up. Match the color in the pod with the color in the plug on the back of the radio. Easy pessy. There are two plugs on the back of the radio.The right plug. left side toward the bottom very easy to spot. You may have to peel back some wrap on the wires

Last edited by Budda109; 04-18-2016 at 09:35 PM. Reason: more info
Old 04-18-2016, 09:35 PM
huntersot
Intermediate

i think in the 35 pin conn it is # 1,2, @ 24,25 green/green_black brown/brown_black but dont quote me yet

Old 04-18-2016, 10:18 PM
Aerofarm
Novice

Any other thoughts on speaker wire thickness. I remove the tour pal quite often so I'd rather not have extra connections in the back if possible.

Old 04-19-2016, 12:22 PM
Jetblack3
Tourer
Received 258 Likes on 116 Posts

Yes, you can tap into the factory wires at the back of the radios right side 35 pin connector. 4 wires and I believe huntersot is correct on location and color.

If pulling new wires, I like 14 gauge. The factory stuff seems like 16 gauge and works ok I guess for the factory system but is a bit thin for my liking. The 14 just adds a bit more meat to the wire which makes it easier to work with making connections.

As far as removing your tour pak quite often, what were you doing before upgrade. It should be no different, your just replacing speakers back there.

Old 04-19-2016, 12:35 PM
BlackPearl#1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Aerofarm
2011 Ultra Limited

I'm wiring in a 4 ch amp on my 2011 ultra limited. I'm using the high level inputs from the speakers with the stock HU. Is there a way to wire the amp into the rear speakers under the fairing, or do I have to run input wires from the rear speakers and then outputs back to the rear speakers. That seems like a lot of extra wire if there was a place to hook into them under the fairing.

Please advise.
Simple answer, yes you can run from HU to amp and amp to rear speakers with factory wiring. You ALSO could run new bigger wires too. You didn't mention what amp or the output of the amp, but I am running a lot of power to my rears into a good quality 4 ohm speaker with no issues at all and am still using factory wires. Hope this helps
Kris

Old 04-20-2016, 08:41 AM
Aerofarm
Novice

Originally Posted by Jetblack3
As far as removing your tour pak quite often, what were you doing before upgrade. It should be no different, your just replacing speakers back there.

I purchased the removable tourpak kit from Harley several years ago and it came with wiring which plugged into my main harness. The new wiring has about 4 quick connect clips which I just unclip and tuck under the seat when the tour pak is off. It connects the lights, 12v power outlet in pak, and speakers.

I figured if I ran new wiring I would have to make extra connections back there which could be unhooked. If I can connect to the factory wiring under the fairing, I would just use the same connections I already have.

The system I'm installing first is the JL MHX280/4. If I don't like that I also have a SoundStream PN4.1000D. I like the JL as it is more moisture resistant and I don't need it crazy loud. I just want to have a little bit cleaner sound. I bought the JL and then several on the forum mentioned that it might be underpowered for 4 ch, so I saw a good deal on the Soundstream and got it also. Most of the time the tour pak is off anyway and I just have the fairing speakers, but twice a year the wife and I go on an extended ride which requires more cargo space and she like the tourpak backrest. In that case, I figured the rear speakers should be working so i went ahead and upgraded them also. Whichever one I don't use on the bike will go on the boat.

Last edited by Aerofarm; 04-20-2016 at 08:44 AM.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:50 AM
Aerofarm
Novice

Just for clarification.

If I connect to these wires behind the head unit. I cut those wires, attach the input from the amp to the HU side. Then attach the output from the amp to the other end going to the speakers. Can I use blade style clips or do I need to solder. I'm fairly proficient in using a soldering iron, etc. Just want to make sure I know what I'm doing before I cut any wires.

Does anyone know which color (or #) are the + or - on those wires?

Quick Reply: Rear Speaker Wiring