Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

J&M amp running speakers in a series

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 07:03 AM
lowebudget
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default J&M amp running speakers in a series

My 2011 FLTRX that I bought used came with the J&M 7.25 fairing speakers and 2 channel amp and stock head unit. I'm adding lower fairing speakers soon and had a question about running the lower fairing speakers in a series? Anyone have any experience with this? I know it should reduce power to the speakers but any idea how much. I'm also thinking about just replacing the speakers while I'm at it with Polk 2 ohm 6.5s as well. So id be running 4 of those off the amp. I'm trying to save money and not have to buy everything new if I don't have to. Thanks in advance.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:10 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

If your amps output is 100 watts per channel for example, running 4 speakers in series would net you 50 watts per speaker or less. Honestly not worth the trouble.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:20 AM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by lowebudget
My 2011 FLTRX that I bought used came with the J&M 7.25 fairing speakers and 2 channel amp and stock head unit. I'm adding lower fairing speakers soon and had a question about running the lower fairing speakers in a series? Anyone have any experience with this? I know it should reduce power to the speakers but any idea how much. I'm also thinking about just replacing the speakers while I'm at it with Polk 2 ohm 6.5s as well. So id be running 4 of those off the amp. I'm trying to save money and not have to buy everything new if I don't have to. Thanks in advance.
first you wanna dump j&m speakers. they are junk. hook a good set (speakers) up to existing amp. if amp doesnt power your new fairing speakers, add a decent 4 channel amp. at that point, you can always add lowers.
just my opinion.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:25 AM
lowebudget
Advanced

Originally Posted by yooperhog
first you wanna dump j&m speakers. they are junk. hook a good set (speakers) up to existing amp. if amp doesnt power your new fairing speakers, add a decent 4 channel amp. at that point, you can always add lowers.
just my opinion.
Any suggestions on a decently low priced 4 channel amp? I'm leaning towards getting the polk mm 651 6.5" which is a 2 ohm speaker? Thanks for the reply!

Old 06-13-2016, 10:14 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by lowebudget
Any suggestions on a decently low priced 4 channel amp? I'm leaning towards getting the polk mm 651 6.5" which is a 2 ohm speaker? Thanks for the reply!
If you don't care about FM a decent low priced amp is here:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/lp/pl...PicaAkCu8P8HAQ

Old 06-13-2016, 05:03 PM
BlackPearl#1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannicus
If you don't care about FM a decent low priced amp is here:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/lp/pl...PicaAkCu8P8HAQ
+1. For the money, this amp makes pretty awesome sound. Yes there is better, but hard to beat for that price.
Kris

Old 06-15-2016, 04:19 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

I would add that when running speakers in parallel on a 2 ohm stable amp that you want 4 ohm speakers. I also agree with that amp, but for a few more bucks I'd opt for the 3000D instead of the 2000D and I've had both.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:41 AM
JM-ANDY
Platinum Sponsor

Lowebudget,

If you have one of the older ROKKER 2 channel amplifiers in your Streetglide the specs are 125W RMS per channel X2 into a 2ohm speaker load.

If you install this J&M performance series lower speaker kit http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....ctID=HLPS-7252 and connect it inseries using this inseries wiring harness http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....HLRK-7252-ISCH RMS power will drop to approximately 85W RMS per channel X2.

If you would rather install a 4 channel amplifier to power the system, here is a good reasonably priced J&M PERFORMANCE series 360W RMS amplifier that will preform very well for your application. http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....JMAA-3600H-UNV .

Let me know if you need the HD-Forums VIP Discount Promo Code.

Tucson, AZ 85713
Andy@Jmcorp.com
1-800-358-0881
For HD-Forums VIP Promo $$ discount code send email direct to Andy@Jmcorp.com
Old 06-17-2016, 10:50 AM
BlackPearl#1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 111 Posts

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Old 06-17-2016, 12:58 PM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackPearl#1
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
^^^agree

Quick Reply: J&M amp running speakers in a series