Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

J&M Audio Headsets - 284 or 787?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 06:35 PM
byingjl
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default J&M Audio Headsets - 284 or 787?

I'm considering buying a headset for my HD motorcycle helmet and instead of going the HD Boom route I'm thinking about buying a J&M headset. The question: Is the Elite 787 much better than the 284 Performance model? I'm having trouble finding comparison information between the two and would appreciate user feedback for either headset.

Old 08-17-2016, 07:41 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

I know quite a few people, including the wife & I, who have the Elite 787 in our full face helmets. I don't know anyone with the Performance series. I had an economy set originally and yes, the Elite 787 is that much better.

Most of 'my people' had Sierra do the install.

http://www.sierra-mc.com/hsinstall.asp

The following users liked this post:
byingjl (08-20-2016)
Old 08-18-2016, 05:45 PM
JM-ANDY
Platinum Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

byingjl,

Thank you for your interest in the J&M Elite 787 Series helmet headsets.

They can be purchased as a headset only for installation into various helmets availble in the market place today. http://www.jmcorp.com/SeeProducts.asp?PF=08

You can also purchase one of our custom helmet headset combonations for the ultimate in headset performance. http://www.jmcorp.com/Static/bell.htm

Complete details can be found in this video

Just let us know anytime we can help.

Tucson, AZ 85713
Andy@Jmcorp.com
1-800-358-0881
For HD-Forums VIP Promo $$ discount code send email direct to Andy@Jmcorp.com
Old 08-21-2016, 08:15 AM
byingjl
Advanced

Originally Posted by JM-ANDY
byingjl,

Thank you for your interest in the J&M Elite 787 Series helmet headsets.

They can be purchased as a headset only for installation into various helmets availble in the market place today. http://www.jmcorp.com/SeeProducts.asp?PF=08

You can also purchase one of our custom helmet headset combonations for the ultimate in headset performance. http://www.jmcorp.com/Static/bell.htm

Complete details can be found in this video New J&M Elite 787 Series Helmet Headset - YouTube

Just let us know anytime we can help.
JM-ANDY: Thanks for the response to my post but unless I missed it, your website doesn't offer a 'quick guide chart' showing the differences between the two models. Besides, your response only promotes the 787 series (the most expensive model) and doesn't really address my question. A person needs to sift through the information and make assumptions in order to try to determine which headset is the best performer. A list of more detailed specifications between the two headsets such as: ohm inputs/outputs, speaker diameters, thickness, lower cords, etc. would be most helpful.

Last edited by byingjl; 08-21-2016 at 08:20 AM. Reason: tweaked comments
Old 08-21-2016, 08:44 AM
tesnevo
Club Member
Received 94 Likes on 78 Posts

Just my .02. Having owned both sets the 787 sounded better. Can't really say they performed any better because they both worked great. The 787 speakers are a better speaker BUT better is subjective. I'm more into sound quality than my wife and most people I know. She was more than happy with the performance series as are most people.
Would I buy the 787 over the others, yes. But again keep in mind I'm always wanting the "best" sound. Is it worth the price, comparatively speaking, probably not.
Hope this helps some

The following users liked this post:
byingjl (08-22-2016)
Old 08-22-2016, 09:42 PM
byingjl
Advanced

Originally Posted by tesnevo
Just my .02. Having owned both sets the 787 sounded better. Can't really say they performed any better because they both worked great. The 787 speakers are a better speaker BUT better is subjective. I'm more into sound quality than my wife and most people I know. She was more than happy with the performance series as are most people.
Would I buy the 787 over the others, yes. But again keep in mind I'm always wanting the "best" sound. Is it worth the price, comparatively speaking, probably not.
Hope this helps some
Thanks for the response. Seems like you and I have similar thoughts. I currently have a HD Boom headset (sucks) and I primarily use it to listen to music - I want to upgrade and get the best sound for the buck and the 787 appears to be a good candidate. I have great audio systems at my home and cars, so why not the bike, right?

Old 08-23-2016, 02:35 AM
tesnevo
Club Member
Received 94 Likes on 78 Posts

Yea buddy if your wanting a better sound out of them no doubt go with the 787. I don't think you will be disappointed at all

Old 08-23-2016, 08:06 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

i don't know anything about the 284 series because they are fairly new and haven't personally tried them but have used the 787 elite headsets. Can't speak for sound differences but I will tell you that the 787 is one of the best headsets, if not the best I've heard. Excellent quality sound and when communicating either RTP/PTR or on CB everyone always said it sounded crystal clear.

The only 2 differences I see in the two spec wise is that the 787 appears to work with any type of helmet whereas the 284 works with half-helmets and the 787 comes in 3 varieties vs 2 on the 284.

**EDIT**
notice there are several different models of the 787 for different style helmets. The 3 varieties I was referring to are not helmets but types of connector cords that it uses.

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 08-23-2016 at 08:08 AM.