Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saddlebag Lids

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 08:10 PM
Cheesehead_13
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by just plain john
I added lids, and while they sound great in the shop, at speed I don't hear them much. They are behind you, and sound travels in waves. I've used this analogy here before, so my apologies to those that have heard it already, but picture sound waves coming from your speaker lids as a spray of water spraying in the direction the speakers are facing. If you're sitting still, the water will spray directly up and fall down on top of you. Now imagine that same stream at 70 mph. That water will land far behind you, same as sound waves will. I'm not trying to dissuade you, just pointing out that for all the expense involved, the gains are very minimal unless your bike is parked. Sound wise, you're better off with lowers. At least you can hear them at speed. Just an opinion from a guy that has both lowers and lids.
JPJ- can you get any bass out of lowers?

Old 09-09-2016, 10:02 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

Depending on how you define bass, no. The speakers themselves are too small, but more importantly the enclosure they are in is too. Lids, or more accurately the saddlebags, have enough volume (space) in them to produce good bass (by motorcycle standards). Lids sound great in your garage, make no mistake about it, but at speed you outrun the sound wave. I have the BT 7.1's in the fairing which produce some bass but not as much as in the lids. At speed, I seem to hear the fairing speakers more than the lowers or lids. Sound quality is subjective, others here might have a different opinion.

The following users liked this post:
Cheesehead_13 (09-11-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 11:24 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 185 Posts

Lowers lose sound at 50-60 just as bad. Neither are your prominent sound source. Always focus on fairing first, then add. I can hear my bag lids at 80 just not near as pronounced. The right speaker and correct power, bag lids seem to be much better than lowers, plus no heat issues to boot. My .02¢

The following users liked this post:
Cheesehead_13 (09-11-2016)
Old 09-10-2016, 08:52 PM
AdmiralAaron
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would agree with slyedog. I have Polk 6x9s in my lids and they are the best sounding of all my speakers. Bass still sucks once over 50mph, but I can hear everything else just great from lids. I am running them with the Cerwin Vega Amp. (see my other threads for details)

Old 10-02-2016, 05:39 PM
Blue Tick
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Bringing this back up for a bit more help. Lowers are out for me as my ride is liquid cooled and I'm not real hip on the Hogtunes lower pods. If someone has something better or suggestions, I'd be interested to hear. Plus the amount of heat that comes out of the lower pod opening is something else that concerns me. This is what is driving me to look at lids. I will run 6x9's in them. Besides Baddad, any input on the hogtunes or Vtwin audio lids? How much space do you lose in the saddlebags? We do ride and travel, it's not a parking lot bike.

Old 10-02-2016, 05:58 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Blue Tick
Bringing this back up for a bit more help. Lowers are out for me as my ride is liquid cooled and I'm not real hip on the Hogtunes lower pods. If someone has something better or suggestions, I'd be interested to hear. Plus the amount of heat that comes out of the lower pod opening is something else that concerns me. This is what is driving me to look at lids. I will run 6x9's in them. Besides Baddad, any input on the hogtunes or Vtwin audio lids? How much space do you lose in the saddlebags? We do ride and travel, it's not a parking lot bike.
Hardly any at all. Couple inches around the magnet area is about it. I can still put 4 6packs in my bags and close lids with no issues.

Old 10-02-2016, 07:24 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

I have hogtunes lids and like them a lot. They are well made pieces that require very little prep for paint. They've held up well for over a couple of years now. They come supplied with their own wiring harness. The downside is you don't hear them that much, particularly at speed, in my experience.

Old 10-02-2016, 08:35 PM
Blue Tick
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

What is the standard process for wiring lids to the existing tour pak speakers? Is there an adapter kit to use or do they need their own wiring?

Old 10-02-2016, 09:16 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member

What is the standard process for wiring lids to the existing tour pak speakers? Is there an adapter kit to use or do they need their own wiring?
Fully independent of one another. The only time that could be accomplished is if you had 2 identical sets or 2 sets with VERY similar ratings you could possibly parallel but that would not be common. 6x9 or 8's in the bag lids are the way to go. Places make kits but you can make your own very easily.

Old 10-03-2016, 06:56 PM
Robjr
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Here's the Baddad lids on my bike that originally had J&M 5x7's in them, I replaced them with HAT 5x7's. I had to cut the basket some to fit the HAT's.

Attached Thumbnails Saddlebag Lids-photo745.jpg   Saddlebag Lids-photo421.jpg  

Quick Reply: Saddlebag Lids