Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Audio Systems (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio-systems-153/)
-   -   Need input on mounting SS PN4.520D in 2014 Batwing (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio-systems/1150850-need-input-on-mounting-ss-pn4-520d-in-2014-batwing.html)

WestTexasRanger 12-21-2016 05:50 PM

Need input on mounting SS PN4.520D in 2014 Batwing

My Soundstream PN4.520D amp arrived today and it's too wide to fit between the vertical brackets on the sides of the amplifier tray that's fitted above the factory head unit.

I'd purchased a Biketronics amp mounting plate, only to find that it provides a flat/secure mounting surface for an amp but doesn't address any changes in width. The nice folks at BT said to ship it back for a refund (great customer service).

Anyway, in doing some research, I came across the J&M Audio amplifier mount for 2014+ batwings (Part # JABK-HBW1).

What is your opinion of the J&M mount?

Other than building my own mount, what other options are there?

Tailwind 12-21-2016 06:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by WestTexasRanger
My Soundstream PN4.520D amp arrived today and it's too wide to fit between the vertical brackets on the sides of the amplifier tray that's fitted above the factory head unit.

I'd purchased a Biketronics amp mounting plate, only to find that it provides a flat/secure mounting surface for an amp but doesn't address any changes in width. The nice folks at BT said to ship it back for a refund (great customer service).

Anyway, in doing some research, I came across the J&M Audio amplifier mount for 2014+ batwings (Part # JABK-HBW1).

What is your opinion of the J&M mount?

Other than building my own mount, what other options are there?

The JM amp tray is excellent!!!!! I can fit the the HDP4 on that tray so that PN4 will fit without any problem at all. Below r the size specs for both.

T

WestTexasRanger 12-21-2016 06:57 PM

Unfortunately, the specs for the PN4 are incorrect, or should I say: Misleading.

The length of the amplifier shows to be 9" (per Soundstream), which is the same as the narrowest point between the vertical brackets, so I'm thinking: "No Problemo".

Wrong!

The body of the amp is 9", but by the time you add in the mounting feet on one end and the connection block on the other, your looking at 10 1/2", so it hits the side/vertical pieces of the factory amp bracket.

I considered putting some spacers under the BT amp plate, but wasn't sure if raising the plate 3/4" (to clear the side brackets) would cause the amp to hit the underside of the fairing.

Unless someone has a better idea, I'll probably move forward with the J&M bracket/mount. It's a little pricey but surely one of my grandkids won't mind sacrificing (one of their toys) to assure that PawPaw has a Merry Christmas. LOL

SBates08 12-21-2016 07:58 PM

Papaws audio matters!!!!!!!

haze324 12-21-2016 08:39 PM

Post a pic. That amp should fit on the stock tray with no issues.

WestTexasRanger 12-21-2016 09:12 PM

Pictures

3 Attachment(s)
As requested, here's a few pictures of my problem. In the picture showing the left side (as viewed from the front), I let the amp slip a little to the right, so the mounting tabs/feet aren't totally against the amp bracket. Even if it was, the right side (wiring block) still hits the amp bracket.

WestTexasRanger 12-21-2016 09:21 PM

If the amp could sit flat, on top of the amp bracket, it looks like the vertical portions would interfere with trying to connect the RCA plugs, speaker wires & power.

Babyboy 12-21-2016 09:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The pn4 amps will fit on the stock amp bracket with a little modification.I had posted a write up on it last winter with measurements that is if you have more time than money and are will to make a few adjustments to the bracket.If not the JM bracket is the only other alternative.

Here is a PN4 1000D in my fairing.

Attachment 494050

Bertk 12-21-2016 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by WestTexasRanger (Post 15772898)
I considered putting some spacers under the BT amp plate, but wasn't sure if raising the plate 3/4" (to clear the side brackets) would cause the amp to hit the underside of the fairing.

Unless someone has a better idea, I'll probably move forward with the J&M bracket/mount. It's a little pricey but surely one of my grandkids won't mind sacrificing (one of their toys) to assure that PawPaw has a Merry Christmas. LOL

The 520D will fit if raised up 1/2" above the stock tray. So if the BT plate is about 1/8" thick get 3/8" spacers. The stock tray is wider up front so you may be able to use 1/4" spacers up front to give more clearance between the amp and fairing. Either way the amp will fit and will need to be as far back as possible. You will also need longer screws to go with the spacers.

WestTexasRanger 12-21-2016 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Babyboy (Post 15773214)
The pn4 amps will fit on the stock amp bracket with a little modification.I had posted a write up on it last winter with measurements that is if you have more time than money and are will to make a few adjustments to the bracket.If not the JM bracket is the only other alternative.

I'd prefer not to modify the stock amp bracket, so it looks like I'll be purchasing & installing the J&M bracket. Looking at it's design and the amount of engineering that went into developing it, the price really isn't that bad (if you buy it from an online dealer and not J&M).

WestTexasRanger 12-21-2016 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Bertk (Post 15773219)
The 520D will fit if raised up 1/2" above the stock tray. So if the BT plate is about 1/8" thick get 3/8" spacers. The stock tray is wider up front so you may be able to use 1/4" spacers up front to give more clearance between the amp and fairing. Either way the amp will fit and will need to be as far back as possible. You will also need longer screws to go with the spacers.

I just posted that I'd go with the J&M bracket and here you go, getting me to second guess my decision. LOL

Bertk 12-21-2016 10:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by WestTexasRanger (Post 15773263)
I just posted that I'd go with the J&M bracket and here you go, getting me to second guess my decision. LOL

The 520D was the first amp I had on the 15 Ultra. I used two 1/2" strips of plywood to raise it up. At the time there where no LL so I had it connected using high level inputs. The most you may need to do is grind a small area of the stock tray for the RCA's. Here are a couple of pics.

WestTexasRanger 12-21-2016 10:14 PM

Thanks, Bertk !

Now that I know for sure that it will fit and how the amp needs to be positioned, I'll see what I can engineer.

Cudos to you and the rest of the Gang for the help. :icon_clapclap:

Bertk 12-22-2016 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by WestTexasRanger (Post 15773312)
Thanks, Bertk !

Now that I know for sure that it will fit and how the amp needs to be positioned, I'll see what I can engineer.

Cudos to you and the rest of the Gang for the help. :icon_clapclap:

I wouldn't recommend using the blocks. The BT plate with spacers is a much better option. ;)

WestTexasRanger 12-22-2016 07:11 PM

6 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Bertk (Post 15773293)
The 520D was the first amp I had on the 15 Ultra. I used two 1/2" strips of plywood to raise it up. At the time there where no LL so I had it connected using high level inputs. The most you may need to do is grind a small area of the stock tray for the RCA's. Here are a couple of pics.

I utilized the Biketronics plate (since I already had it) and built some custom spacers out of various thicknesses of nylon spacers (from Lowes) to achieve the perfect height. (See Photos #1 & #2)

As was mentioned, I had to take a die-grinder to the fairing bracket in order for the RCA plugs to fit. (See Photos #3 & #4) I'm pointing at the area with a screwdriver and left it unpainted (bare metal) so that you could tell what area was modified. I then cleaned up the area with rasp & flat files, then painted the exposed metal.

Lastly, a couple of pictures of the amp in place.

Now I need to find a place for the BT355 Line Leveler.

I'm thinking about attaching it to the front of the amp with double sided tape (next to the decorative aluminum piece that goes across the top of the amp and down the side/front) and letting it rest on the BT amp plate.

Will the fairing still fit if I install the BT355 in front?

Is there a problem mounting the BT355 directly to the amp? (Heat, electrical interference, etc.)

Bertk 12-22-2016 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by WestTexasRanger (Post 15775534)
I utilized the Biketronics plate (since I already had it) and built some custom spacers out of various thicknesses of nylon spacers (from Lowes) to achieve the perfect height. (See Photos #1 & #2)

As was mentioned, I had to take a die-grinder to the fairing bracket in order for the RCA plugs to fit. (See Photos #3 & #4) I'm pointing at the area with a screwdriver and left it unpainted (bare metal) so that you could tell what area was modified. I then cleaned up the area with rasp & flat files, then painted the exposed metal.

Lastly, a couple of pictures of the amp in place.

Now I need to find a place for the BT355 Line Leveler.

I'm thinking about attaching it to the front of the amp with double sided tape (next to the decorative aluminum piece that goes across the top of the amp and down the side/front) and letting it rest on the BT amp plate.

Will the fairing still fit if I install the BT355 in front?

Is there a problem mounting the BT355 directly to the amp? (Heat, electrical interference, etc.)

Nice job!!!

Before going any further try installing the fairing. The only problem area I ran into where the two front outer edges of the amp. If that becomes a problem reduce the size of the spacer on the front of the amp tray.

The LL should fit in front of the amp next to the middle trim. Use a some Velcro to test fit first. I don't think here room on top of the amp of it.

Bama J 12-23-2016 01:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Looks good! Good job.

I also found that the 520d didn't need much help, it was just a hair too wide. I used what I had in the shop, a scrap piece of 1x6 decking board, and screwed it to the stock bracket to hold in place. I even painted it black, you can't even see it really.

As far as the BT355's, look at the pic you'll see on in the bottom right corner under the radio, zip tied to a big bundle of wires that run right through there. The other BT355 is behind the breakout harness, there's a little cubby hole beside the radio.

WestTexasRanger 12-23-2016 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Bama J (Post 15777257)
I used what I had in the shop, a scrap piece of 1x6 decking board, and screwed it to the stock bracket to hold in place.

My biggest concern using wood would be the potential of termites eating it and the amp jiggling around, unsupported. :icon_chickendance:

Bama J 12-23-2016 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by WestTexasRanger (Post 15777276)
My biggest concern using wood would be the potential of termites eating it and the amp jiggling around, unsupported. :icon_chickendance:

Haha, wonder if Geico covers termite damage.