Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is a good 6x9 speaker to put in Hog Tunes 2014 and up Rushmore lids?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 02:25 PM
Ecolesh1166
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What is a good 6x9 speaker to put in Hog Tunes 2014 and up Rushmore lids?

Hi guys,

I have been a forum member for a few years now but this is my first post here on the audio forum so wish to start out with a hello and also thanks to all of the regulars who provide really solid advice to us novice guys. With that said I have a 2016 street glide special that I recently purchased and my Winter upgrade will be a sound system. As things currently stand I am leaning towards the following set up.

Stock boom audio 6.5 infotainment HU (I am not changing HU out at this time)
Focal EC 165s in my fairings along with Biketronics Brackets.
Arc Moto 600.4 amp
Biketronics line levelers (front and rear)
Hogtunes Speaker lids from Factory Match

The part of the puzzle that I have not figured out is what would be a good speaker recommendation to install in the Rushmore model Hogtunes lids?

I do not wish to go with the hogtunes speakers and would like to go with Hertz MPX 690.3s however I don't know if there will be any fitment issues with the Hertz installing them in the Rushmore style Hog Tunes lids?

I would really appreciate feedback from those who have experience with 6x9s with the Hog Tunes lids and would like to know what good quality 6x9 speakers are folks using that fit theses lids without any issues?

Also any thoughts on the rest of my planned set up would be greatly aprecciated as well.

Thanks Ecolesh

Old 12-24-2016, 03:03 PM
MMXIWG
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

A lot of the guys on this forum recommend Pioneer TS6900 Pros.

Old 12-24-2016, 03:53 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by MMXIWG
A lot of the guys on this forum recommend Pioneer TS6900 Pros.
Hands down the absolute best and best bang for the buck lid speaker going IMHO. Had the same lids from Factory match and those speaks fit.

T

Old 12-24-2016, 04:01 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ecolesh1166
Hi guys,

Stock boom audio 6.5 infotainment HU (I am not changing HU out at this time)
Focal EC 165s in my fairings along with Biketronics Brackets.
Arc Moto 600.4 amp
Biketronics line levelers (front and rear)
Hogtunes Speaker lids from Factory Match

Thanks Ecolesh
Also thinking u might hold off on the EC 165 for a bit and listen to some upcoming reviews about the DD AW6.5 for your fairing. Reach out to (PM) forum sponsor/vendor Bagger Audio Lab and he can provide additional info on that speak and if needed assistance with finding local DD dealers for sound displays, etc..... U gotta hear that damn speak.

T.

Old 12-24-2016, 04:27 PM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 574 Likes on 380 Posts

round speakers produce better sound

Old 12-24-2016, 04:50 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by aces&8s
round speakers produce better sound
That's a pretty broad brush stroke.

T.

Old 12-24-2016, 04:53 PM
Ecolesh1166
Advanced

Thanks MMXIWG and Tailwind for the recommendation on the Pioneer Pros. I will look into further but my preference would be to get sone speakers that are water proof or at least water resistant. Does anyone know if the Biketronics will fit into the Hogtunes 2014 and up lids without any modification? Tailwind also thanks for the recommendation on the DD AW 6.5s. I will research those as well. I see that in your signature tag that you have or have had this set up so coming from one of the forum gurus, this says a lot.

Old 12-24-2016, 05:40 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member

Thanks MMXIWG and Tailwind for the recommendation on the Pioneer Pros. I will look into further but my preference would be to get sone speakers that are water proof or at least water resistant. Does anyone know if the Biketronics will fit into the Hogtunes 2014 and up lids without any modification? Tailwind also thanks for the recommendation on the DD AW 6.5s. I will research those as well. I see that in your signature tag that you have or have had this set up so coming from one of the forum gurus, this says a lot.
Thanks Brotha!!! Cannot count the # of speaks I have tried with my brothers Gann and Haze and for my ears and setup the AWs really are a damn good product. The most recent longer term speaks that the AWs replaced were the Focal KRX K2 and the Hertz MLK.

As for the waterproof concern, most of us cover the face of all our speakers with speaker cloth treated w camp dry or equivalent so don't let that limit your sound desires. With that being said, the BT 6x9 will not fit the HT lids for 14+.

I have a huge roll of that cloth so let me know when u get close to ur install.

T

Old 12-24-2016, 05:54 PM
Ecolesh1166
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tailwind
Thanks Brotha!!! Cannot count the # of speaks I have tried with my brothers Gann and Haze and for my ears and setup the AWs really are a damn good product. The most recent longer term speaks that the AWs replaced were the Focal KRX K2 and the Hertz MLK.

As for the waterproof concern, most of us cover the face of all our speakers with speaker cloth treated w camp dry or equivalent so don't let that limit your sound desires. With that being said, the BT 6x9 will not fit the HT lids for 14+.

I have a huge roll of that cloth so let me know when u get close to ur install.

T
Thanks again Tailwind, I will have to do some research on the DD SWs for sure. I also had a chance to checkout some more YouTube vids on the Pioneer Pros that guys have put in their lids. The Pros really thump man. I was just checking out a comparison between the Pros and a set of HAT 157-2s. The Pros sounded significantly better. I will definitely give those serious consideration. BTW do you have any insight on the Hertz MPX 690.3s? Specifically in terms of SQ and also fitment with the Hog Tunes 2014 and up lids? Also thanks very much for the offer of the weather proof cloth man! I will take you up on that once I figure out what speakers I will go with.

Old 12-24-2016, 06:54 PM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Thanks again Tailwind, I will have to do some research on the DD SWs for sure. I also had a chance to checkout some more YouTube vids on the Pioneer Pros that guys have put in their lids. The Pros really thump man. I was just checking out a comparison between the Pros and a set of HAT 157-2s. The Pros sounded significantly better. I will definitely give those serious consideration. BTW do you have any insight on the Hertz MPX 690.3s? Specifically in terms of SQ and also fitment with the Hog Tunes 2014 and up lids? Also thanks very much for the offer of the weather proof cloth man! I will take you up on that once I figure out what speakers I will go with.
I went from several pioneer 6x9s, to the Arc Moto 692, to the Pioneer Pro, to the MPX690s.

As far as the pioneer pro vs MPX690; the pioneers are loud, clear and have really good mid bass for a 6x9. The MPX are loud, very clear and decent midbass. The only thing I think you give up with the pioneers to the MPX is a little bit of SQ, and you gain some mid bass.

Give the pioneers 150 clean watts and they'll rock.