Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Area 51 Amp Being Road Tested!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 08:45 AM
cpbedor
Road Warrior
Received 201 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Makdaddy
T
How does it stack up to the Soundstream Stealth ST4.1000D?
That SS amp is $100 cheaper and about the same size, and will do 250W bridged
Sounstream also has the 1200 that runs 300W bridged. I don't have experience with SS amps but if Tailwind has been searching for a Micro amp that puts out nice clean power, you can be sure he looked at this option and passed on it for a reason. Instead he unearthed an Area 51 amp that very few of us have ever heard of so my guess is no stone was left unturned, including the 1000D stone. Unlikely that anyone has the ability to compare the GZ side by side to the 1000D however, unless it's T doing that comparison.

Old 04-12-2017, 10:01 AM
MMXIWG
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

I think the issue is that these SS amps are not small.

Old 04-12-2017, 10:16 AM
BaggerAudioLab
Banned
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by cpbedor
Sounstream also has the 1200 that runs 300W bridged. I don't have experience with SS amps but if Tailwind has been searching for a Micro amp that puts out nice clean power, you can be sure he looked at this option and passed on it for a reason. Instead he unearthed an Area 51 amp that very few of us have ever heard of so my guess is no stone was left unturned, including the 1000D stone. Unlikely that anyone has the ability to compare the GZ side by side to the 1000D however, unless it's T doing that comparison.

That amp sucks. It does NO where near what he box says. Guys I can't reiterated this enough ---- do NOT go around chasing specs on a website. I can give you a 100 examples of amps that don't come close to what's on the box. I can give another set of examples of two amps with the exact same specs that sound totally different. I ran 1000w at Daytona and hit the same decibel as a guy who said he had 5000w on this bike. Not all watts are created equal.

The following 2 users liked this post by BaggerAudioLab:
BUSAGLIDE (04-12-2017), sic-puppy (04-16-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 04:03 PM
AAWAV
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by BaggerAudioLab
That amp sucks. It does NO where near what he box says. Guys I can't reiterated this enough ---- do NOT go around chasing specs on a website. I can give you a 100 examples of amps that don't come close to what's on the box. I can give another set of examples of two amps with the exact same specs that sound totally different. I ran 1000w at Daytona and hit the same decibel as a guy who said he had 5000w on this bike. Not all watts are created equal.
ST version is a "PoS"... I did not even tested it back in the day (I had one ready though).
ESP. PA RZ overrate their amps - see sticky...

"listen" to B.A.L. > he knows his S@#t...

Old 04-13-2017, 04:06 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by AAWAV
ST version is a "PoS"... I did not even tested it back in the day (I had one ready though).
ESP. PA RZ overrate their amps - see sticky...

"listen" to B.A.L. > he knows his S@#t...
Hey Mister. Good to see you back in here.

Old 04-13-2017, 11:26 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by BaggerAudioLab
Can I get an Amen!!!

Just did not like the SQ or the presence of the ST. Haze nailed it. Depending on the speak, the JL280/4 really has great SQ and plenty of power. The Ground Zero has good solid SQ and delivers on the 210ish W that I think the DD AWs and my ears like. I may step it up at some point but for now the 210 is a really good place but the JL 170 w was not too shabby either.

If ur gonna drop 130 on the ST, stay out of the bar on Friday night and take to 20 bucks and get a JL. Stay out of the bars all weekend and get the GZ.

T.

Old 04-16-2017, 01:37 AM
cpbedor
Road Warrior
Received 201 Likes on 165 Posts

The second review on the Ground Zero is in. Like Tailwind has said, it's smaller than the JL so it fits perfectly on the clutch side of the BT Bracket without any hassle. As far the sound delivered, plain and simple, it hammers. I instantly heard a big difference between the AW's on the JL and the AWs on the GZ. Hits hard as hell and it's extremely loud and clear. I have it set at 28.2 VAC and I'm thinking I will need to back it down. I have a new toy showing up Tuesday so I won't make any adjustments until then but from where I stand, it always comes down to HOW MUCH better is the next thing that comes along going to make it sound. The JL amp runs those AWs very well, make no mistake. I was loud and crystal clear at 90mph. You're not selling yourself short with that JL amp bridged to the AWs. That said, is the additional $100 that you'll pay for the GZ worth it? Umm, yes. Big thanks to T for leaking the secret weapon early. I can't wait to get some miles on with this thing and dial it in.

Old 04-16-2017, 09:19 AM
Fatherwayne
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

This thing could be a 692's best friend.
-FW

Old 04-16-2017, 09:30 PM
dgoode01
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

After hearing the positive feedback. I'm Going to order one to bridge for the AWs in the fairing then bridge my 600.4 to the moto 692s in the lids. Then I'll keep my JL bridged to run the TP Hertz 165s.

Old 04-16-2017, 09:56 PM
BaggerAudioLab
Banned
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by dgoode01
After hearing the positive feedback. I'm Going to order one to bridge for the AWs in the fairing then bridge my 600.4 to the moto 692s in the lids. Then I'll keep my JL bridged to run the TP Hertz 165s.
thats a lot of bridged channels. Why not use more efficient speakers?

Quick Reply: Area 51 Amp Being Road Tested!!!!