Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which amp for Hertz speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 09:49 AM
nutsandbolts5212
Road Warrior

Received 793 Likes on 352 Posts
Default Which amp for Hertz speakers?

Hey guys, I'm sure this has been hashed out in many a thread, but I wanted current info, April 2017 current info, on what would be a quality amp to run Hertz SPL 165's or MPX 165 pro's in my fairing and tour pack. I have a 2016 Limited, and I don't want any speakers or amps in the bags or tour pack.

The harley set up is ok, but the wife and I want something more enjoyable when cruising at 80 on road trips, latin music and classic rock/hard rock is what we enjoy.

I've heard Rockford Fosgate, Diamond micro, Arc Moto, to name a few. Throw in BT Titan and my head is starting to spin.

Also I learned of line levelers, since I'm keeping my original head unit.

Who makes compatible wire connections and the such for what I'm trying to accomplish.

If any of this sounds audio ignorant, I apologize in advance, once again thanks for your advice and ride safe!!

Last edited by nutsandbolts5212; 04-12-2017 at 09:55 AM.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:59 AM
BaggerAudioLab
Banned
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

Have you tried putting the SPL's in the rear pods? They require a pretty big spacer for the magnets to clear. Also how about horns in the fairing. Those aren't full range speakers so you'll need a tweeter or preferably a horn and how to power those as well.

Old 04-12-2017, 10:45 AM
nutsandbolts5212
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by BaggerAudioLab
Have you tried putting the SPL's in the rear pods? They require a pretty big spacer for the magnets to clear. Also how about horns in the fairing. Those aren't full range speakers so you'll need a tweeter or preferably a horn and how to power those as well.
That's why I think I may go with the Hertz MPX, they're a two way. I really don't want to alter the bike at all from appearance, just want good sound, and I'm pretty sold on the Hertz. Thanks for the info on spacers, I guess that's why I'm posting.

Old 04-12-2017, 12:09 PM
dgoode01
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I originally installed Hertz MPX in my fairing and with a Arc Moto 600.4 amp, they sounded really good. However, I got a great deal on a set of DD AW6.5 and BT 30s, so out come the MPX.

Old 04-13-2017, 05:18 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

I'm running the diamond micro and Im not bridged so I'm only pushing 80watts per speaker which may not be enough. I really want to replace my rears but finally dialed mine in the other day where the sound is decent but I'd shoot for more power than I have.

Old 04-13-2017, 09:32 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Much better speakers on the market than the Hertz u mentioned, especially when u match dollar for dollar u r going to spend. The SPL are not something u just throw on a sled expecting good bass.
U might reattack both your speaker selections first.
I have run both of those speakers.

T

Old 04-13-2017, 12:19 PM
nutsandbolts5212
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Tailwind
Much better speakers on the market than the Hertz u mentioned, especially when u match dollar for dollar u r going to spend. The SPL are not something u just throw on a sled expecting good bass.
U might reattack both your speaker selections first.
I have run both of those speakers.

T
Ok, I'm open to suggestions, what do you recommend? I was reading a thread about the infinity kappa/Cerwin Vega set up, that caught my attention. I'm starting to think I may have jumped the gun a bit, but I'm willing to be educated!

Old 04-13-2017, 02:18 PM
Bafflingbs
Club Member

Received 925 Likes on 557 Posts

For simplicity, warranty and to maintain water resistance, I believe Biketronics is your best bet. Lifetime warranty, gobbs of power, plug and play and you get a 10% discount for just being a forum member. If military, you get another 5%. But, I really like my Hertz speakers. Are there better? Sure. It all depends on how deep you want to go.

Last edited by Bafflingbs; 04-13-2017 at 02:21 PM.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:31 PM
BaggerAudioLab
Banned
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Bafflingbs
For simplicity, warranty and to maintain water resistance, I believe Biketronics is your best bet. Lifetime warranty, gobbs of power, plug and play and you get a 10% discount for just being a forum member. If military, you get another 5%. But, I really like my Hertz speakers. Are there better? Sure. It all depends on how deep you want to go.

I like the BT4180 for certain applications but it's not always that easy. IF the OP goes with Hertz SPL's with those speakers you NEED an adjustable HPF.

Old 04-13-2017, 02:45 PM
nutsandbolts5212
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Bafflingbs
I was initially set on the Hertz speakers, now I'm not sure. Just wanted to see what others would recommend amp wise, and so far nothing. Just looking to hear clear music at 80 mph, not compete in next years bike stereo competition. Appreciate your response and input, will look into Biketronics. Hopefully I'll figure something out in the next day or two.

Navy vet also, 89'-93', desert storm and shield, 3 westpacs, shellback, USS Robison, DDG 12 and USS Lake Champlain, CG 57.

Quick Reply: Which amp for Hertz speakers?