Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another upgrade topic with a question or 2

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 04:21 PM
DigitalDave
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another upgrade topic with a question or 2

Decided to add decent speakers to the passenger pods, requiring replacing the car 2 ch amp. Figured it's a good time to replace the HU. Here is what's coming
Sony Mexm70bt, cv B54, Kappa 62.11i front and back, Polk 1001 tweeters and the pac hdk001x install kit
Looking at that pac kit, it looks like there is no fader control function for front rear fader/balance. Anyone else use this kit with rear speakers? I would really like to retain that, if not in the bars, at least in the pod. Not adverse to getting a different hand controller if needed.
Also, the Polk tweeters are from an earlier setup. I am hoping that I can use them off of the Sony front speaker out if I can get them balanced... Maybe

Old 04-15-2017, 08:43 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by DigitalDave
Decided to add decent speakers to the passenger pods, requiring replacing the car 2 ch amp. Figured it's a good time to replace the HU. Here is what's coming
Sony Mexm70bt, cv B54, Kappa 62.11i front and back, Polk 1001 tweeters and the pac hdk001x install kit
Looking at that pac kit, it looks like there is no fader control function for front rear fader/balance. Anyone else use this kit with rear speakers? I would really like to retain that, if not in the bars, at least in the pod. Not adverse to getting a different hand controller if needed.
Also, the Polk tweeters are from an earlier setup. I am hoping that I can use them off of the Sony front speaker out if I can get them balanced... Maybe
The pre amp on the head unit will take care of any fading. You will have to sets of rca from head unit to amp. Simple stuff there. I would not waste time with the tweeters. Those coaxial will likely be more than bright enough on their own,

Old 04-15-2017, 11:22 PM
DigitalDave
Cruiser

You are correct, and I should have be clear about why this was an issue for me. My wife cannot hear the music with the existing system. So, my solution seemed to be adding good speakers and amp for the rear. But I KNOW she will want to control the volume herself or at least tap me to do it, so I kinda need independent control. Actually, if there was an app for the Sony, that would work for her. In any case, that is the reason for the question on that interface.
As for the tweeters, my bars and mirrors seem to deflect a lot of the sound and the tweeters were a help on the first go around

Old 04-27-2017, 10:22 PM
DigitalDave
Cruiser
Default Where does the cv54b go?

So, the Sony is in, and it looks like the amp will need a spacer under it?
For any of you more experienced, opinions and suggestions welcome. Don't want to get it all hooked up and find I can't close the lid.
And does it matter much which side I bring in the power?

Old 04-28-2017, 10:36 PM
DigitalDave
Cruiser

Yooperhog pm'd me this helpful respons:
yup. i stacked n glued some 1/8 thick rubber strips about an inch wide til i had clearance. bout 1/2 thick. 3m double side tape to amp, then velcro strips on bottom side of spacers, and top side of hu, or call badazzbikes and order an amp tray. lol. ive done bothh, both work fine, couple 1/2" thick strips of wood will work too

Guess that's the way to go thanks

Old 04-29-2017, 11:32 PM
DigitalDave
Cruiser

Done. All working, now to figure out the settings on the Sony. Am a little disappointed that the Sony app only works on android via BT, wanted it for the passenger. iOS user needs to connect using USB. Hand controls work, a little different than stock, but I'll get used to it.
Will take it out for a 200 mile ride tomorrow for a real world test. Initial sound check was a little muddy in the lower mids, think I will need to get into the eq setting.
Installed system, CV b54 amp, Kappa 62.11i front and rear, Sony mex79bt HU, PAK hdk001x install kit/hand control interface.
Researching the audio forum and asking questions made the job possible. Thanks to all of you before me

Old 04-30-2017, 03:07 AM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by DigitalDave
Done. All working, now to figure out the settings on the Sony. Am a little disappointed that the Sony app only works on android via BT, wanted it for the passenger. iOS user needs to connect using USB. Hand controls work, a little different than stock, but I'll get used to it.
Will take it out for a 200 mile ride tomorrow for a real world test. Initial sound check was a little muddy in the lower mids, think I will need to get into the eq setting.
Installed system, CV b54 amp, Kappa 62.11i front and rear, Sony mex79bt HU, PAK hdk001x install kit/hand control interface.
Researching the audio forum and asking questions made the job possible. Thanks to all of you before me
remember, you wont get much low end sound with the kappas, mid and upper range