Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DSP Programming - Rushmore

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 05:57 PM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by BaggerAudioLab
I honestly think openly sharing a setting when the amp, the music, etc. could all be potentially be different would be somewhat counterproductive.
I definitely agree with this. Each setup, even the same components, will end up having different settings based on the end users ear.

Old 04-26-2017, 06:14 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 185 Posts

To put it not quite so delicately. There is no easy way out on these. I have posted numerous warnings to not jump into this without some knowledge or assistance nearby. It isn't rocket science but each person will find their own way to tailor these to their needs. If you can't, stop, put down the dsp, take it to someone who knows, or learn the hard way like many of us have and figure it out, or die trying per say.

Old 04-26-2017, 06:58 PM
cpbedor
Road Warrior
Received 201 Likes on 165 Posts

Figuring out a DSP without any tuning experience is difficult. I'm one of the guys that Slye is talking about that found my way out of my own sandbox. There isn't a canned calibration and there isn't an instruction manual. More than anything, the DSP is frustrating not knowing what does what and why. I would second what Alex and Matt are saying and that is, if you think you need one of these, reconsider. This isn't for the average hack. I'm a below average hack. None of us hacks know where that line is to stop monkeying with it and leave well enough alone. Many of us have chatted off line trying to share knowledge and techniques trying to collectively get enough information in one spot to get to a place we can all say "good enough".

Old 04-26-2017, 07:14 PM
FLYINGBROKE
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Sorry I asked thought was here to learn from others .Simply trying to get the most out of what have.Have noticed there are many ways to EQ a set of speakers and have them sound good.so was looking for ideas may have tried and maybe not.I will keep to my self on PSM Thank you Alex that was helpful someone could have spent there life with two year old software on sled or wasted time chasing loc Vac or splitting out of PSM rather than line level.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:23 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYINGBROKE
Sorry I asked thought was here to learn from others .Simply trying to get the most out of what have.Have noticed there are many ways to EQ a set of speakers and have them sound good.so was looking for ideas may have tried and maybe not.I will keep to my self on PSM Thank you Alex that was helpful someone could have spent there life with two year old software on sled or wasted time chasing loc Vac or splitting out of PSM rather than line level.
I will put it bluntly. Good analogy here. You can push a kid on a bicycle till your blue in the face, but if you don't let go and let them take off or wreck a few times, then what did they learn? To always expect that person to be holding on. I have asked for particular info, will get you a baseline and then I am letting go of the bicycle. Depends on how far it takes me to let go will be the point I chose to want you to donate to a veteran cause or you are back to training wheels.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:26 PM
cpbedor
Road Warrior
Received 201 Likes on 165 Posts
Old 04-26-2017, 07:33 PM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by FLYINGBROKE
Where about are you located? Someone might be able to help out in person or point you in a direction of someone to help out. You could also take a rainy day, a battery charger hooked to the battery, and then set everything to zero on the eq with 24 db slopes to start and slowly make adjustments, save the file, make more adjustments, save that to a different file, and keep repeating as necessary. I think I have 13+ files saved now, 3 just after resetting amp gains and retuning after switching my input to the PSM. With no prior knowledge it'll just take a little longer to get it "perfect" to your ears. Also recommend doing a road test as well after you think it's dialed in.

Old 04-27-2017, 12:21 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Is this DSP shix really worth the energy for the folks that already have damn good equipment and BT355s?
Not real sure the cost & energy to tangible benefit calculations are in favor of the average and above average Joe.
I'm scrubbing my install plans this weekend and going on a road trip in hopes that someone can articulate the gains that are worth the investment.

T.

Old 04-27-2017, 01:25 AM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member

I'll say this T. As someone that started out with a flash and an SNI-35, has had success with the BT355, played with a Fix86, and now have gone to the PSM I can say that each step has been an improvement. Now with a setup like yours with multiple amps, components in the fairing, and full range in the rear you would definitely benefit from it. Now how much will you benefit from a full out dsp, I can't really say, I just don't have the knowledge to completely answer that. From what little experience I do have, I'd say you are a candidate for a Fix 86 just for the on/off bin crap alone. I felt like I had a fuller cleaner sound with the Fix compared to the BT355, and now with the 10 band eq you get even more control with it. With my setup I could have gotten by with BT355s or Fix86, but I would be leaving quite a bit on the table. Just being able to adjust the slope, take advantage of the mixer function, and run bandpass crossovers make all the difference for me. Time spent in a studio mixing my bands music helped to take out a big chunk of the learning curve of it though.

Old 04-27-2017, 05:08 AM
BaggerAudioLab
Banned
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailwind
Is this DSP shix really worth the energy for the folks that already have damn good equipment and BT355s?
Not real sure the cost & energy to tangible benefit calculations are in favor of the average and above average Joe.
I'm scrubbing my install plans this weekend and going on a road trip in hopes that someone can articulate the gains that are worth the investment.

T.
You can't look at any of this as business transaction where you conduct a cost benefit analysis. We discussed this once when looking at a PN4.1000d that retail at 149.00 vs an Arc Moto at 649.00. Is that really a 600% increase in better sound. Is the sound on the bike 500.00 better. This is not a quantitative analysis.....its qualitative and going with my ears to determine that quality I can say with confidence there is absolutely no way we could have completed some of these recent builds without a DSP. The DSP (with proper tuning) makes that bike sound if has a new radio and opens up so many options not available on after market head units.

having said that. Yes it could be very tough for some and much easier for others.

Last edited by BaggerAudioLab; 04-27-2017 at 06:56 AM.

Quick Reply: DSP Programming - Rushmore