Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best batwing speaker and amp upgrade option on my '15 SG with 4.3

Old 04-29-2017, 08:17 PM
Schwinn collector
Advanced
Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Best batwing speaker and amp upgrade option on my '15 SG with 4.3

Hello.
Love the forum and the wealth of information.
Looking to upgrade the speakers and add an amp to my 4.3 stock radio on my 2015 SG. Because I'm not adding any other speakers ( tour pack or lid speakers ) I want the new fairing speakers ( and amp ) to sound as good and loud as possible.
Any recommendations?
Thanks!

Last edited by Schwinn collector; 04-29-2017 at 08:21 PM.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:21 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

How much cash u want to drop and what's ur music library look like?

T

The following users liked this post:
Schwinn collector (04-30-2017)
Old 04-29-2017, 08:40 PM
Schwinn collector
Advanced

Not wanting to put a limit on the project as I realize "you get what you pay for" usually. I'm aware it will be about a grand or more to get the right stuff.
Classic rock would best sum up my listening tastes while riding.
Thanks for your input.

Old 04-29-2017, 09:25 PM
BaggerAudioLab
Banned
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Schwinn collector
Not wanting to put a limit on the project as I realize "you get what you pay for" usually. I'm aware it will be about a grand or more to get the right stuff.
Classic rock would best sum up my listening tastes while riding.
Thanks for your input.
That's a good way of thinking and a realistic budget to put something great together. Let these guys give you some recommendations....there's a lot of good set-ups on here!

Old 04-29-2017, 09:43 PM
SgtMic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Classic rock
I'm not sure what classic rock is anymore.
I'm pretty sure I heard Nirvana on the classic rock station the other day.
To me, that's not Zepellin, Sabbath, Fleetwwod Mac or the Doobie Brothers.

What genre of classic rock? LOL

Old 04-29-2017, 09:45 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Starting the list, u going to need a BT355 Line Leveler.
As for amps and since u r certain u r not going to add lids, TP or lowers speaks I would get a strong 2 channel amp or a 4 channel and bridge it. The DD D4 is currently a hot amp bridged.

From there I would absolutely go with component 6.5s. The DD AW6.5 are killer but basically out of stock till July so we are currently trying to find direct competition. Ground Zero is currently being tested and initial results favor classic rock. Ground Zero Nuclear are the ones being tested.
Don't think any combo of PA Component will do well with classic rock.
The DD CC6.5 are a little sister to the AW and sound damn good and good bang for the buck.
The high end Hertz do well but bang for the buck factor is low.

Ur just in a bad spot w the AW6.5 being out of stock bro. Start calling around to see if a dealer has a set on the shelf cause that really is a damn good 2 speaker setup.

T.

Old 04-29-2017, 10:45 PM
cpbedor
Road Warrior
Received 201 Likes on 165 Posts

If you're going to do this, try and do it once, do it right. In addition to the Line Leveler, if you are going to run a good component, you will also likely need to look into the BT Brackets that allow you to mount a full size speaker in your fairing instead of using the pods that are in there. If this is starting to sound overwhelming, let me assure you that you can do this. If you can take off your seat, you can install everything we will recommend. Tailwind is correct in that the current crown jewel of performance components, the DD AW6.5/AT28 tweeter is on back order until July and I'm 99% sure our friend Covert Olds already scoured the country and got the last set out of a joint in Texas. The Ground Zero Micro Four is a heck of an amp with a small footprint, as is the JL 280/4. All three mentioned here will do a great job with whatever speaker setup you choose. What is your timeline to get this done? If it were me, I wouldn't be able to wait until July for those speakers but I'm impatient. The GZ 6.5 is a comparable...not equal...speaker to the AW but I don't think any of us know what their tweeters sound like. If you can hang out for a few days and absorb all the info, you'll be able to narrow down some options pretty easily and of course the easy button on all this is to send Bagger Audio Lab a PM and let Alex steer you once you've gotten some ideas.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:08 AM
Schwinn collector
Advanced

Thanks Tailwind and cpbedor. Good info.
No worries on getting these components installed, I used to install car audio 100 years ago. The two year old in me wanted this installed yesterday, but I'm learning that patience is a good thing and I could wait till July if needed. What crossover would you run if going with the DD AW6.5/AT28 tweeter set up? The CC1?
I went to Ray's yesterday as I see them mentioned on here. He recommended a JL amp and the Hertz speakers with either the BT line leveler or another brand my SFB can't recall now.
What about BT's amps and speakers?
Thanks again.

Last edited by Schwinn collector; 04-30-2017 at 09:13 AM.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:13 AM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

Thanks Tailwind and cpbedor. Good info.
No worries on getting these components installed, I used to install car audio 100 years ago. The two year old in me wanted this installed yesterday, but I'm learning that patience is a good thing and I could wait till July if needed. What crossover would you run if going with the DD AW6.5/AT28 tweeter set up? The CC1?
I went to Ray's yesterday as I see them mentioned on here. He recommended a JL amp and the Hertz speakers with either the BT line leveler or another brand my SFB can't recall now.
What about BT's amps and speakers?
Thanks again.
I see your in Palatine Il., what is this Ray's your talking about? IMO BT has very good amps and speakers plus a lifetime warranty which they honor! I'm running 8 HAT'S (6 came from BT) off a BT 4180 and a Kenwood 998, it sounds very good for a 1 amp system! I'm in the process of adding a Sound Stream TN4.900 to my TP right now, good luck with your system! There are guy's on here that have run EVERYTHING...like BAL, Gannicus, Tailwind, ect... heed their wisdom!!!

Old 04-30-2017, 11:10 AM
Schwinn collector
Advanced

Moto Mike,
Ray's Electronics in Bloomingdale on Army Trail Road. Lots of goodies there. They said BT's amps and speakers were junk, but I understand that's coming from competition.
I like the plug and play aspect of the BT stuff and being able to keep the goodies hidden for the clean stock look but when it comes down to it, it's all about the sound.
More good information.
Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best batwing speaker and amp upgrade option on my '15 SG with 4.3