Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JL Audio Fix 86

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 01:59 PM
HogPilot54
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010blueultra

Funny you asked... I had already downloaded the Demo and played around with it. When I got the Fix all installed and ready to turn everything on I looked all over for how to connect. I ended up calling JL Audio and the tech dude was like "the demo IS the software. You have to update the firmware first."

So, download the Tun demo.
In the install it will also include the Firmware updater.
Follow the steps on the JL site to update the firmware.
Once the firmware is current, the demo software will add a button for the connected Fix.

Also, I tried to just copy the Calibration audio file off of the included disc to a USB but the HU wouldn't play it.

I had to rip the disc into Itunes to convert the files to mp3 so they would play.

Not to hard, but an extra step none the less.
Thanks for the info!

Old 05-04-2017, 07:47 PM
tesnevo
Club Member
Received 94 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010blueultra
I tried this, but the link at the bottom of that page is a .wav file and won't play on the Boom HU so I just ripped the cd. ...did I miss something there?
Not sure why it won't on yours but it runs fine on mine and about 15 others I've done lately. Make sure to download to the desktop then copy it over. Maybe the issue is downloading directly to the flash drive.

Old 05-04-2017, 08:27 PM
HogPilot54
Tourer

OK, so I just got the Fix86 today. I have a 15 Ultra Limited which has the CB module. I'm not interested in relocating the module and hacking up the radio mount structure for the Fix. I'm also not interested in running all the wires back and mounting the Fix in the tour pack. Luckily I don't have the speaker pods anymore as I replaced them with the BT speaker brackets just the other day. It looks like the Fix will fit on the clutch side BT speaker bracket in a vertical position just inboard of the speaker but I would need to fabricate some kind of bracket. I'm wondering if anyone else has come up with a good place to mount the fix on an Ultra Limited other than the CB module location or tour pack.

Old 05-04-2017, 09:41 PM
SgtMic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Industrial strength (3M) velcro works wonders. You could also add zip ties for secondary measures.

Old 05-04-2017, 10:30 PM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by HogPilot54
OK, so I just got the Fix86 today. I have a 15 Ultra Limited which has the CB module. I'm not interested in relocating the module and hacking up the radio mount structure for the Fix. I'm also not interested in running all the wires back and mounting the Fix in the tour pack. Luckily I don't have the speaker pods anymore as I replaced them with the BT speaker brackets just the other day. It looks like the Fix will fit on the clutch side BT speaker bracket in a vertical position just inboard of the speaker but I would need to fabricate some kind of bracket. I'm wondering if anyone else has come up with a good place to mount the fix on an Ultra Limited other than the CB module location or tour pack.
I can't remember for sure, but when I held it in that location I think a corner of the Fix would hit the fairing. Try it out, might work out great.

Last edited by matt76cmich; 05-05-2017 at 12:56 AM.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:58 PM
HogPilot54
Tourer

Originally Posted by SgtMic
Industrial strength (3M) velcro works wonders. You could also add zip ties for secondary measures.
I thought about the 3M velco but wasn't comfortable it would hold the Fix 86 vertically. Before I switched to a 4 channel amp, I had two 2 channel amps attached on top of the HU horizontally and they held firm for two years. The zip ties would be added insurance, so maybe I'll try it.

Old 05-04-2017, 11:00 PM
HogPilot54
Tourer

Originally Posted by matt76cmich
I am can't remember for sure, but when I held it in that location I think a corner of the Fix would hit the fairing. Try it out, might work out great.
Yeah, I was wondering that myself today. Looked like it would clear just eye-balling it. I'll temporarily tape the Fix 86 in place and test fit the fairing before I mount it permanently.

Old 05-05-2017, 01:27 AM
HogPilot54
Tourer

OK, just checked and I don't see anywhere I can put this in the fairing without relocating the CB module. Looks like my only option is the run a bunch of wiring and mount it in the tour pack.

Old 05-05-2017, 04:37 AM
tesnevo
Club Member

Originally Posted by HogPilot54
OK, just checked and I don't see anywhere I can put this in the fairing without relocating the CB module. Looks like my only option is the run a bunch of wiring and mount it in the tour pack.
Unfortunately, due to the size, there's only a few options on the mounting.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ODEZ1G/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ODEZ1G/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This Speedwire will make the install a ton easier on the install. Just make sure you wire the speaker runs correctly.

That's the only real negative on the fix unit, the size.

Old 05-05-2017, 04:55 AM
tesnevo
Club Member

For those that wonder/question if the boom headunit actually changes the audio bin file from one to another AFTER the bike starts, here you go.
Not only does the DSP curves change but the voltage/wattage also changes (lowers the rears significantly and slightly lowers the front) when the bike is running.
Bottom line running something like the arc audio psm or the JL fix (which autosums the voltage across all 2 or 4 channels) is a great idea when running aftermarket amps/speakers.
Is it necessary, absolutely not. Running the BT LL's will always be a option. It really just depends on what you want out of the end result sound.

The top pic is with the bike runnnig and the bottom pics is with the bike off. For those of you using the fix, calibrate it with the bike off and adjust as needed with the bike on. Just don't forget to set the speaker out voltage, in the fix software.

The following users liked this post:
2010blueultra (05-05-2017)

Quick Reply: JL Audio Fix 86