Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JL Audio Fix 86

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 09:10 AM
HogPilot54
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by tesnevo
Before you add the lids, reverse the phase on one of the rear speakers and report back. BUT before you do this I need you to answer all the following;

What speakers are you using in the tourpack?
What amp?
What's the wattage/voltage powering the speakers?
Are you using the fix crossover or the amp crossover? (Make sure your not using both)
What's the crossover set at?
Did you adjust the "OUTPUT" voltage to the speakers in the fix? If so, what voltage?
ARC Audio Moto 602's
Rockford Fosgate TM400x4AD
I've played with the output voltage to the speakers on the Fix86 and settled on 500mv. They tend to overpower the front speakers of I go any higher. I have Hertz MPX165.3 MILLE 6.5's in the front and their output voltage is set at 1.0mv on the Fix86
Crossover is set at HP and around 80 on the amp. Nothing set on the Fix86

Old 05-19-2017, 09:42 AM
tesnevo
Club Member
Received 93 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by HogPilot54
ARC Audio Moto 602's
Rockford Fosgate TM400x4AD
I've played with the output voltage to the speakers on the Fix86 and settled on 500mv. They tend to overpower the front speakers of I go any higher. I have Hertz MPX165.3 MILLE 6.5's in the front and their output voltage is set at 1.0mv on the Fix86
Crossover is set at HP and around 80 on the amp. Nothing set on the Fix86

Thanks for the info. On the setup page, bottom left, you will see the "polarity" settings. Switch one of the rear speakers polarity from + to -. Only one of them and it doesn't matter which one. Once you do that then report back and let me know how the bass is.

Old 05-19-2017, 10:38 PM
HogPilot54
Tourer

Thanks for the info. On the setup page, bottom left, you will see the "polarity" settings. Switch one of the rear speakers polarity from + to -. Only one of them and it doesn't matter which one. Once you do that then report back and let me know how the bass is.
I did that as the music was playing and yes, it increased the bass response on the rear speakers! When I switched the polarity on one speaker, the Fix 86 software said I had to re-calibrate, which I did. So... why does changing the polarity increase the bass? And will the same progress work on the front speakers?

Old 05-20-2017, 07:24 AM
tesnevo
Club Member

Originally Posted by HogPilot54
I did that as the music was playing and yes, it increased the bass response on the rear speakers! When I switched the polarity on one speaker, the Fix 86 software said I had to re-calibrate, which I did. So... why does changing the polarity increase the bass? And will the same progress work on the front speakers?
sorry I forgot it will ask to recalibrate. Reverse the polarity back to where you had it originally and recalibrate it. Then reverse the polarity on one of the speakers once again. DO NOT RECALIBRATE even if it asks you to. When you do it will automatically change the settings via software.
When you do the above process and retune (or load up a saved tune) then save it to the fix unit. It will keep this setting.

reversing the polarity has to do with the "lack" of air space available in the tourpacks. With the setup of highly amped speakers in the tourpack there is not enough air space for both speakers woofers to go full excursion because they are fighting each other for the air in the tourpack. Even worse the more you put in them.
One way to remedy this is to port the tourpack but as several on here will tell you that's a bitch to get the correct size port figured out. And even if you did you would have to keep the tourpack empty at all times since the port was sized for an empty vessel.
The other way is to reverse polarity and allow the speakers to essentially "Push-Pull" in sequence. It's a heck of a lot more technical than that but you can see what it means easily enough.
once you've gone back and redo the fix as I described above
then remove the speaker grills from both tourpack speakers. Make sure the tourpack is empty and latched closed. Play a song with some decent bass about 1/3-1/2 volume. While it's playing reverse the polarity back to "+" on the one speaker that you have reversed and you will see what I'm talking about. There's not enough air space for the speakers to achieve full excursion. Now reverse it again to "-" and you will see both speakers reach full excursion resulting in better bass response.
once again DO NOT RECALIBRATE even if it asks you to. The last stored settings will remain. You can save it once again to the fix since it's essentially the same settings you want. After you save it to the fix it will not ask you to recailibrate again.

Last edited by tesnevo; 05-20-2017 at 07:28 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by tesnevo:
2010blueultra (05-20-2017), Bertk (05-20-2017)
Old 05-20-2017, 08:22 AM
HogPilot54
Tourer

Thank you Sir!

Old 05-24-2017, 08:23 PM
HogPilot54
Tourer

Look at the above pics and you will see in the lower right hand side where it says OUTPUTS with the 3 bars to the right. Left click the bars and a new window pops up. This is your speaker voltage output. This sets the speaker out voltage from the dsp to match the speakers to the input to dsp voltage. I'd set your about 1v and adjust up/down as needed for the sound quality.
Be careful as this will raise the voltage out/wattage to the speakers. Don't over drive the speakers but you should be good about 1v.
I'm still confused about what this setting should be for my setup. If you look back a few posts, I listed what I have on my 15 Ultra Limited. Can I measure the input and output voltage at the fix86 with an volt meter? The two voltages are suppose to be the same, right?

Old 07-24-2017, 04:50 PM
fallenhillbilly
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SgtMic
Completely different and better sounding system now isn't it?
You can say that again. Finally broke down and spent more money on this (pos) radio.. and I can honestly say it was money well spent. It's amazing what the fix 86 did for this radio.. after almost two and a half years I finally got it to sound like it should.. I was starting to wonder if it would ever happen without changing the head unit. Now I'am just hoping it holds up in the fairing. .

Old 07-24-2017, 05:01 PM
tesnevo
Club Member

Originally Posted by fallenhillbilly
You can say that again. Finally broke down and spent more money on this (pos) radio.. and I can honestly say it was money well spent. It's amazing what the fix 86 did for this radio.. after almost two and a half years I finally got it to sound like it should.. I was starting to wonder if it would ever happen without changing the head unit. Now I'am just hoping it holds up in the fairing. .
It will hold up just fine, fret not. Glad your liking it. IMHO it's the easiest/best option out there for the 2014+ headunits.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:32 PM
HogPilot54
Tourer

It will hold up just fine, fret not. Glad your liking it. IMHO it's the easiest/best option out there for the 2014+ headunits.
Agreed! I love my Fix86! No way I could get the sound quality I wanted without it, and it's user friendly to boot.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:18 PM
fallenhillbilly
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear that.
Dumb ?. When you go from say 1-20-3 to 1-21 or any other for that matter. Do you reset the radio (factory reset )each time.or you just update and move on..Harley website does not mention a reset after the update. .was wondering what other do after a update
Thanks

Quick Reply: JL Audio Fix 86