Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSM installed, now what?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 08:32 PM
SgtMic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts
Default PSM installed, now what?

I have no idea what I'm doing. I did not hook up any presets.
Do I have to make any adjustments to the amp?
Anyone have a couple starter maps I can have to see what's what?

Old 05-21-2017, 11:23 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by SgtMic
I have no idea what I'm doing. I did not hook up any presets.
Do I have to make any adjustments to the amp?
Anyone have a couple starter maps I can have to see what's what?
There is too much in regards to each individual install to have canned settings. Honestly Arc has canned settings for preset 1&2. My advice is flatten eq out on preset 2 and tailor the eq to your liking. No offense to anyone, but This right here is why more than once I posted a psa about these. Amps if already set prior really should not need any adjustments, but that depends on how the inputs are ran.

Old 05-22-2017, 06:34 AM
SgtMic
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by slyedog
but This right here is why more than once I posted a psa about these.
Be prepared to repeat your psa since more people will be buying these and asking for some "getting started" help. It might be easier to just put it in your sig.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:00 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Be prepared to repeat your psa since more people will be buying these and asking for some "getting started" help. It might be easier to just put it in your sig.
Where did you purchase it? Maybe they have maps and a start up guide for the specific equipment that is connected to it?

T.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:04 AM
SgtMic
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tailwind
Where did you purchase it? Maybe they have maps and a start up guide for the specific equipment that is connected to it?

T.
Our favorite supplier. Didn't feel like bugging him on a Sunday night.
I got some helpful advise via pm so it's all good.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:30 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Perfect. As with anything audio there are a ton of factors/variables, not to mention the no 2 sets of ears are the same, so unless you have an identical setup the maps can be dramatically different. It will just take a little time to find out what ur ears like so be patient with the process.

T.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:37 AM
BaggerAudioLab
Banned
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

Dude bug the crap out of me anytime man, you got my cell number!! How's it sounding????

I've tried to crack this code regarding canned maps and it's tough. Arc Audio who has endless resources and is an audio industry giant tried to supply this with a map; their vision from inception was to have a library guys could chose from. I know they've done the research on the different year Headunits between 14-17 and still I don't think the maps supplied work at that well. You have to consider that it's MUCH more than just the EQ setting, every amp is set up different, some guys use head units with a LOC others use the Arc wiring kit that has a resistor so the input voltage could change from bike to bike and that impacts the voltage on the PSM, the gain on the amp, the output volume per channel, etc. To have one "canned" map that addresses that for ALL of the amps, LOC's, and head units out there is impossible. And to think, I haven't even mentioned an EQ setting.

I'm prepping for a show June 3-4th, but my thoughts are afterwords I'd like to record a video not with a "canned" map, but with the process I used to set one of these so guys can have some insight on where to start with their own set ups. Granted I do this mostly by ear but I can mention some of the PSM features. We did a bike this weekend, I'll post the vid soon, with the smaller rushmore headunit, flashed in house and a PSM that sounds better than any 13 and below with an aftermarket radio. So the possibilities are there guys.

Mic keep me posted.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:44 AM
FLYINGBROKE
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Play with it just to find your way around it's working.I don't know why it's treated like it is only for the smartest people,then behind the scene people are so helpful.I am sure you get what you paid for just going to be the hard way .There are a hand full of people that will help you out and maybe someday it won't be like it is now.
I would start bye picking preset then pick output at 2volts make sure everything is flat set master gain around -12 and then set amp gains save this file as #1 then start studying tunes that have been shared with you that have same speakers each time you make progress save as different file when you get to where things are sounding pretty darn good mute all and start with just two speakers at a time and tweak them to your liking mute those and move to next set .just to give you idea it takes time I have deleted some saved tunes but have eight files .
When you think you are real happy save best file to preset 3 and when you make better file save as preset 2 and If I ever know I got I figured out I will have preset 1 .good luck you will get it but not in the two hours it takes Haze.Just my 2cts

Old 05-22-2017, 07:55 AM
FLYINGBROKE
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Haze that video would be a Great idea and much appreciated good for sales and good for us using it to have open conversation about product .Time to bring this thing out of the closet .

Old 05-22-2017, 08:35 AM
BaggerAudioLab
Banned
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYINGBROKE
Haze that video would be a Great idea and much appreciated good for sales and good for us using it to have open conversation about product .Time to bring this thing out of the closet .

I think the biggest reason for the lack of open information is that Arc has yet to release an actual manual for this. So much of this is discovery learning and it might not be set correctly (even if it sounds good). For example, from my understanding the input voltage should be determined by the clip indicator in the meters. That's more of a process function that should be in a manual vs. saying "set it a 1v per canned map" because that changes for every bike. It would be more useful, in my opinion to know how to set it correctly. So I don't think it's for the smartest guys in the world but an actual manual from Arc on how this is supposed to work would be the most useful tool to get everyone there. Until then all guys can do is share their work, with no real way of knowing if it's set the way arc designed the tool to work. I'll ask Arc this week if an actual manual is in the works.

Quick Reply: PSM installed, now what?