Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 Street Glide S

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 10:45 AM
17SGS
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 Street Glide S

Hello, brand new to the forum. Picked up a 2017 Street Glide S earlier this year and have been enjoying it. 2 things I have not liked and in the process of changing is the wind buffeting and the sound system. I have previously always had softtails with windshields and no buffeting.
Anyways....got a 10" windshield and lower fairings, bam buffeting gone. The sound system still leaves something to be desired. I am not trying to go all out crazy on this, but would like some better sound.
I am looking to replace the fairing speakers and possibly put speakers in the lower fairings and add an amp. I would love to stay around the $500-$1000 price range if that helps. Any helpful tips, pointers, advice? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by 17SGS; 05-18-2017 at 01:08 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:12 AM
cpbedor
Road Warrior
Received 201 Likes on 165 Posts

Advice is to hold off a little bit and save some cash for a bigger budget. 4 speakers and an amp and all the peripheral items needed to install it is going to yield you nothing but disappointment and it will then be $500 down the drain when you redo it. It's surely possible to slam something in there for 500 but you're spreading your cash pretty thin at that point. Gannicus will be around shortly to deliver his budget friendly opinion, stay tuned.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:08 PM
17SGS
Stage III
Default Edit

Originally Posted by cpbedor
Advice is to hold off a little bit and save some cash for a bigger budget. 4 speakers and an amp and all the peripheral items needed to install it is going to yield you nothing but disappointment and it will then be $500 down the drain when you redo it. It's surely possible to slam something in there for 500 but you're spreading your cash pretty thin at that point. Gannicus will be around shortly to deliver his budget friendly opinion, stay tuned.
Edit I meant to say $500-$1000...just looking for ideas. I have seen some people do 2 small JL amps and 4 moto speakers...just not up to speed on latest greatest on what all works with the new bikes. Ex: do I need a alternator upgrade, do i need a new EQ....which by the way reminds me...will different speakers and amps get rid of the sound quality difference between ign on bike running vs ign on bike not running???
To put into laymans terms-> I like the sound quality of my bike on the show room floor cranked up. If I could get it to sound the same w/similar volume and clarity at 75mph I would be happy!

Old 05-18-2017, 01:30 PM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by 17SGS
Edit I meant to say $500-$1000...just looking for ideas. I have seen some people do 2 small JL amps and 4 moto speakers...just not up to speed on latest greatest on what all works with the new bikes. Ex: do I need a alternator upgrade, do i need a new EQ....which by the way reminds me...will different speakers and amps get rid of the sound quality difference between ign on bike running vs ign on bike not running???
To put into laymans terms-> I like the sound quality of my bike on the show room floor cranked up. If I could get it to sound the same w/similar volume and clarity at 75mph I would be happy!
Well, to get the same sound as you do with the bike off while it's running you have 3 options in my mind and I'll go from cheapest to most expensive. Just throwing some speakers and amps in the bike won't solve this problem.

1. JL Fix82/86. This is an easy fix, but can be a tough install in the newer batwing fairings. Put it in a bag and no worries.

2. Arc Audio PSM (or a different full DSP). Easy to install anywhere on the bike (Arc PSM that is), but if you don't know what you're doing tuning wise you can easily screw things up (or keep messing with it till you get it, but could take days to weeks)

3. Aftermarket radio. Biketronics has a single din kit that you can get with a radio and everything needed to retain handlebar function. Or people have been going with the Sony 100 something or another double din (can't remember the model number right off hand). This kit comes with the radio and everything needed to install it and retain handlebar controls.

Now 1 and 2 will be very close in price depending on where you get them and if it's setup to be plug and play for your bike. Basically looking at $380-799 and that'll eat up a big chunk of the budget. A cheaper solution is the Biketronics BT355 line leveler that will help flatten the eq curve, but won't solve the on vs off bin file.

Also, your stock 50 amp stator will be more than good enough to power your system.

Old 05-19-2017, 08:50 AM
duglaura&flhti
Road Warrior

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts

Congrats....Biketronics makes a nice replacement speaks

Old 05-19-2017, 02:53 PM
17SGS
Stage III
Default Arc Audio

What do you guys think about this system, add 2 more speakers and a DSP? How is this compared to say BOOM stage 2 audio? will this get rid of the bad EQ setting while bike is running?

Old 05-19-2017, 07:10 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by 17SGS

What do you guys think about this system, add 2 more speakers and a DSP? How is this compared to say BOOM stage 2 audio? will this get rid of the bad EQ setting while bike is running?
That set up will blow the boom system away but for the cost you can do much better! Give Haze a shout. Alex@baggeraudio.com

Old 05-23-2017, 09:42 AM
DeluxeCruiser
Tourer

subscribed for reference.