Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSM installed, now what?

Old 05-22-2017, 08:47 AM
SgtMic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Canned maps for similar systems could be utilized as a starting/ learning process. A video tutorial is an awesome idea.

I think most people that are doing these audio upgrades realize that the fine tuning needs to happen. Our ears all hear different.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:14 AM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 185 Posts

When I found this unit over 6 months ago, Arc was not even close to release. This was beta tested and altered many times during that time frame. There is a huge Rushmore hurdle outside someone having the 2 amp 8 speakers flash on the psm dsp. Arc spent damn near a year working on signal correction. That was done in the eq portion of the dsp. The q factor correction and frequencies utilized to do so really limits the adjustment to be done without undoing those corrections from my understanding without using a rta and seeing it real time. This is the hesitance and the lack of understanding in the full utilization of the unit on Rushmore systems. This isn't even including the correct crossover settings, input as Haze mentioned, and the many other features offered. The unit is set up with presets intended for Arc kits ( mpak). So the preset wires for example are intended for those kits. No one here after I have spent some time with Rushmore tunes should use the preset wires. So this is not some simple process guys when dealing with all these factors. Point is each change in the wrong area may be the difference from great to not good at all. Hopefully this is a better insight to the lack of support and also where Arc has intended for this to be a B&M product. Already see tons happy and also tons not happy as they messed with the wrong setting or flat out used the wrong baseline to start.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:43 AM
CVOJOE
Road Captain
Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Because of the complexities of getting this unit tuned correctly, Arc has never intended for this unit to be sold directly to the consumer. Their vision has always been that this PSM be sold, installed and tuned by a single source Professional Audio installer that has experience tuning DSP's and Hi-End Equalizers.

I don't think Arc ever intends to provide a manual for the PSM. They are being bombarded with questions now and are second guessing themselves on their selection of first product releases as it is.

Guy's, don't buy this unit from "Acme Audio" and expect Arc to walk you through the setup and teach you how to use it.

Buying from a source like Bagger Audio Labs that has the knowledge and experience to set this unit up for you and guide you through the final tune is IMO the best way to utilize this great new tool....unless your Slye, because Matt has forgot more about stereo than most of us will ever know

Old 05-22-2017, 09:49 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by CVOJOE
Because of the complexities of getting this unit tuned correctly, Arc has never intended for this unit to be sold directly to the consumer. Their vision has always been that this PSM be sold, installed and tuned by a single source Professional Audio installer that has experience tuning DSP's and Hi-End Equalizers.

I don't think Arc ever intends to provide a manual for the PSM. They are being bombarded with questions now and are second guessing themselves on their selection of first product releases as it is.

Guy's, don't buy this unit from "Acme Audio" and expect Arc to walk you through the setup and teach you how to use it.

Buying from a source like Bagger Audio Labs that has the knowledge and experience to set this unit up for you and guide you through the final tune is IMO the best way to utilize this great new tool....unless your Slye, because Matt has forgot more about stereo than most of us will ever know
Or simply get the JL products if u have the room to spare on your sled.

T.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:30 AM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

It's been about 1-2 months now that Arc Audio said they would mail me a manual for the PSM and it still hasn't shown up and I'm not holding my breath lol. For me I'm really enjoying the fine tuning aspect of this unit and all of the trial and error. I think I'm up to about 30 some tunes saved now and I learn more with each little tweak. Take your time with this and it'll come.

For me using the graph of frequencies ahas helped. Use the EQ to try and get as flat of a signal as you can, listen to it, and then make fine adjustments as needed to make your ear happy. I'm talking adjustments in the tenths here. Big adjustments make for big swings as you'll see on the graph. Having either tweeters or horns in parallel can make things a little more difficult as well, but tuning them will come with time as well. Even though I think I'm 98% there I'm probably closer to 90% just because I keep learning every time I mess with this PSM.

Just to echo what Slye and Haze have said, file sharing will not be the answer. It might not even get you in the ballpark, but might get you near the parking lot.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:37 AM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Here's a great video from Bert that shows the different functions of the PSM well. Take note of the nice flat line on the frequency graph.

Old 05-22-2017, 06:34 PM
SgtMic
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by matt76cmich
Here's a great video from Bert that shows the different functions of the PSM well. Take note of the nice flat line on the frequency graph.

https://youtu.be/Z7t1eI0n820
Video is gone.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:34 PM
catdaddy6968
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BaggerAudioLab
some guys use head units with a LOC others use the Arc wiring kit that has a resistor so the input voltage could change from bike to bike and that impacts the voltage on the PSM
Would you happen to know the part number for this kit ????

Old 05-23-2017, 07:11 AM
SgtMic
Outstanding HDF Member

Pulled out the Arc until after I get back from my road trip.
Gonna have to figure out some new wiring to eliminate noise floor.
It's very loud when the volume is off. I might be able to live with it if it was just a little noise, but it's damn loud. LOL