Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aquatic AV AQ-MP-5BT-H Opinions/Reviews

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 12:55 PM
BaggerBill103
Road Captain
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Aquatic AV AQ-MP-5BT-H Opinions/Reviews

Have a guy at work that wants an audio upgrade. He's really dead set on the Aquatic AV HU. He bluetooths 90% of the time and listens to the radio 10%. He is wanting an amp and one set of fairing speakers. So, is there anything wrong with the lower grade Aquatic HU? I can't see spending $200 plus more dollars for features he will not use.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited by BaggerBill103; 06-02-2017 at 01:58 PM.
Old 06-02-2017, 03:01 PM
Staylebait
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is assuming you are talking about the color screen ones.

The version without -H in the name is for boats and ATVs. The biggest difference being that it doesn't have handlebar controls whereas the one with the -H in the model name has steering wheel controls.

Yeah that's a $200 premium for about $5 tops in parts and an engineer writing 500 lines of code to control it...

Old 06-03-2017, 08:22 AM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by BaggerBill103
Have a guy at work that wants an audio upgrade. He's really dead set on the Aquatic AV HU. He bluetooths 90% of the time and listens to the radio 10%. He is wanting an amp and one set of fairing speakers. So, is there anything wrong with the lower grade Aquatic HU? I can't see spending $200 plus more dollars for features he will not use.

Thanks
Bill
i ran the base model in my bike for a year, flawless bluetooth, it is now still running flawlessly in the dragons streetglide

Old 07-03-2017, 08:41 PM
Scubamike
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey did the base model charge the phone as well as play audio from inside the unit? Figuring if you cannot see the color screen on the sun I am fine with the base model if I decide to upgrade. Can I ask why you go rid of it? Thanks for any input just thinking about upgrading to the base one as I do not wish to spend $500 to $600 for the higher end model. Happy 4th!
Originally Posted by yooperhog
i ran the base model in my bike for a year, flawless bluetooth, it is now still running flawlessly in the dragons streetglide

Old 07-03-2017, 08:53 PM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Scubamike
Hey did the base model charge the phone as well as play audio from inside the unit? Figuring if you cannot see the color screen on the sun I am fine with the base model if I decide to upgrade. Can I ask why you go rid of it? Thanks for any input just thinking about upgrading to the base one as I do not wish to spend $500 to $600 for the higher end model. Happy 4th!
on the base model i had, the USB charged the phone, and the 3.5 jack played music, although i always plugged into charger in tour pak and ran bluetooth, the girlfriend who now has it in her streetglide, charges outta cig lighter and runs bluetooth also. solid, simple plug n play head unit

Old 07-05-2017, 09:30 PM
GungHo-HD
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the latest and greatest model AQ-MP-5UBT-HS color display, clock, aux USB charging cord a week ago and so far I feel that this Aquatic AV line is complete Garbage. Here is why;

1. It requires a USB Flash drive that needs to be formatted in FAT 32, File Allocation Table (FAT) is a computer file system architecture originally designed in 1977 for use on floppy disks, FAT was soon adapted and used almost universally on hard disks throughout the DOS and Windows 9x eras for two decades. This is 2017 isn't it? No wonder it requires you to reformat any modern day thumb drive and plays MP3's. Are you frickin kidding me.

2. Blue tooth only works if it's in your front pocket. Don't try and put it in your back pocket or better yet tour pack as it will drop signal while going down the road. Ther tech support could not even tell me what version that it was.

3. They advertise that it's made for APPLE but it's not a APPLE certified product. So how this works is that when you plug your USB in their tray and place the face head unit into their dock, start your bike it defaults to the first song in your main library, then since you cannot see their display with sunglasses on in daylight it's impossible to find the playlist that you want that contains your riding music. It will do this everytime you shut the ignition off. This is not cool on a bike, I can't be searching for playlist every time that I start the bike.

4. You cannot stream on a iphone as Apple's default music player is itunes so using the audio cable will default to itunes and you will not have access to Spotify, Tidal, Pandora because you have to have the face plate on which means you will not be able to access other apps. Other phones allow you to set the default app however remember this was made to be used with a iphone according to their advertising on the box. I suppose you could stream via Bluetooth but remember drops signal if it's not in your front shirt pocket. So don't bother trying to charge the phone in the tour pack while using Bluetooth as you will constantly drop[ signal.

5. It will only fit the smaller phones while using the tray, any larger phone will not fit with the charging cord attached.

6. The unit is 550.00 and should work flawlessly with today's technology and it's far from that. Very frustrating when a bike requires both hands on the handle bars and it fails to play music.

7. Did I mention that you can't see the display in sunlight. I live in Michigan and it's still very hard to see.

Pros- Water proof and plug and play for the DIY project other than that its frickin garbage. I'm switching to a 160.00 Alpine unit and a rain cover. I will be able to buy three of these units as to one Aquatic AV.

End of story, save your money.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:52 PM
pingman68
Road Master
Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts

I have the exact same radio and my experience has been flawless so far. Bluetooth will stream with the phone as far away as in the saddlebags. I mainly listen to my iPod kept inside the tray and it always picks up wherever it left off when it was shutdown. Satellite comes in clear and sounds great too. I think it's a great option for replacing the stock radio.

Old 07-08-2017, 08:43 AM
BaggerBill103
Road Captain
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by GungHo-HD
I bought the latest and greatest model AQ-MP-5UBT-HS color display, clock, aux USB charging cord a week ago and so far I feel that this Aquatic AV line is complete Garbage. Here is why;

1. It requires a USB Flash drive that needs to be formatted in FAT 32, File Allocation Table (FAT) is a computer file system architecture originally designed in 1977 for use on floppy disks, FAT was soon adapted and used almost universally on hard disks throughout the DOS and Windows 9x eras for two decades. This is 2017 isn't it? No wonder it requires you to reformat any modern day thumb drive and plays MP3's. Are you frickin kidding me.

2. Blue tooth only works if it's in your front pocket. Don't try and put it in your back pocket or better yet tour pack as it will drop signal while going down the road. Ther tech support could not even tell me what version that it was.

3. They advertise that it's made for APPLE but it's not a APPLE certified product. So how this works is that when you plug your USB in their tray and place the face head unit into their dock, start your bike it defaults to the first song in your main library, then since you cannot see their display with sunglasses on in daylight it's impossible to find the playlist that you want that contains your riding music. It will do this everytime you shut the ignition off. This is not cool on a bike, I can't be searching for playlist every time that I start the bike.

4. You cannot stream on a iphone as Apple's default music player is itunes so using the audio cable will default to itunes and you will not have access to Spotify, Tidal, Pandora because you have to have the face plate on which means you will not be able to access other apps. Other phones allow you to set the default app however remember this was made to be used with a iphone according to their advertising on the box. I suppose you could stream via Bluetooth but remember drops signal if it's not in your front shirt pocket. So don't bother trying to charge the phone in the tour pack while using Bluetooth as you will constantly drop[ signal.

5. It will only fit the smaller phones while using the tray, any larger phone will not fit with the charging cord attached.

6. The unit is 550.00 and should work flawlessly with today's technology and it's far from that. Very frustrating when a bike requires both hands on the handle bars and it fails to play music.

7. Did I mention that you can't see the display in sunlight. I live in Michigan and it's still very hard to see.

Pros- Water proof and plug and play for the DIY project other than that its frickin garbage. I'm switching to a 160.00 Alpine unit and a rain cover. I will be able to buy three of these units as to one Aquatic AV.

End of story, save your money.
He ended up buying the same unit as you. Here is my take on it.
1. I had no issues playing all types of file formats from a flash drive.
2. I certainly agree the Bluetooth signal is very week (only complaint from the bike owner)
3. I had no issues with my Apple iPod. As stated above, mine came up where it was when it was removed from my bike.
4. Agreed but didn't think it claimed to do this. It is not an Apple app HU.
5. This is a correct statement. I think the largest phone it will house is the iPhone 6. Not the plus or similar tablets people carry around as phones lol
But I love the tray feature. They have a very nice device holder with it, and rubber padded it well. If I didn't want a more audiophile HU, I would use one of these because I play my music from iPod 95% of the time. So I would love to have it in the HU rather than my saddlebag.
6. I do agree it could be better for $550. Think my customer paid $450 for his. But what you have to remember is that this unit has the highest waterproof rating, and you are spending money for this feature. You add in you didn't have to buy a handlebar control module, a chassis adapter, and a waterproof Cover and its starts to even out the price some.
7. Agree display is hard to see, but I have never had a HU on a bike I could in the sun. My bat wings were better, than the RG I have now.

I believe it's your best option over a HK or Jensen waterproof HU's. But everyone has their opinions and wants when it comes to audio. I only run Pioneer DEH80PRS HU. Give me that HU with its music processor and tuning features. Then put in the same waterproof plus internal storage system as the Aquatic with 2 USB ports and an SD card slot, and I would be a happy camper. I don't want Bluetooth, radio, or CD player. But we know no one is going to make that.

The following users liked this post:
zigyblu (08-07-2021)
Old 07-08-2017, 01:10 PM
MMXIWG
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Excellent synopsis BaggerBill!

The following users liked this post:
zigyblu (08-07-2021)
Old 06-09-2018, 11:36 AM
105RG
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking at buying this as a replacement does this radio auto down the volume when you come to a stop

Quick Reply: Aquatic AV AQ-MP-5BT-H Opinions/Reviews