Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Resistors on '14 and up head units

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 07:23 PM
HD_Doobie
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Resistors on '14 and up head units

Has anyone tried this yet? Thoughts?

https://www.americanhardbag.com/page...load-resistors

Old 06-06-2017, 07:39 PM
tesnevo
Club Member
Received 94 Likes on 78 Posts

Not worth the time or effort for what EXTREMELY LITTLE it will do. And by little I mean virtually nothing. The distortion on the OEM boom systems comes from the amp/speakers/DSP being pure ****. Resistors won't fix those issue, replacing the components will.
The HU (2014+) is actually decent enough to keep, although not intuitive, it's amazing what you can audibly accomplish with it paired with the right components.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:40 PM
BaggerAudioLab
Banned
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

This has been around for a while. The Arc wiring kits for the 600.4 and PSM come with resistors. Some guys using the PSM have found that it helps with noise floor. When using a flashed bike I never had an issue using a LOC. Not sure if there is an advantage to use these with an LL?

Old 06-06-2017, 08:44 PM
BaggerAudioLab
Banned
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by tesnevo
Not worth the time or effort for what EXTREMELY LITTLE it will do. And by little I mean virtually nothing. The distortion on the OEM boom systems comes from the amp/speakers/DSP being pure ****. Resistors won't fix those issue, replacing the components will.
The HU (2014+) is actually decent enough to keep, although not intuitive, it's amazing what you can audibly accomplish with it paired with the right components.

So from my understand the rushmore HU is designed to see a load thru the outputs (being speakers) when a load is not present and it's high level inputs into an amp the signal is returned and what you get is distortion. Hence the need for resistors. I've encountered this without the use of resistors and its sounds like our garbage and as soon as I plugged in a LOC it sounded great. So I can see the design to use the resistors but agree, the radio sound really darn good without them.

Old 06-07-2017, 07:13 PM
HD_Doobie
Road Captain

OK thanks for the input. I ordered a couple resistors to experiment. Only a few bucks so no big deal. I will report any findings.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:39 PM
tesnevo
Club Member

Originally Posted by BaggerAudioLab
So from my understand the rushmore HU is designed to see a load thru the outputs (being speakers) when a load is not present and it's high level inputs into an amp the signal is returned and what you get is distortion. Hence the need for resistors. I've encountered this without the use of resistors and its sounds like our garbage and as soon as I plugged in a LOC it sounded great. So I can see the design to use the resistors but agree, the radio sound really darn good without them.
The Rushmore system/amp has no way to account for resistance from the speakers in the capacity your referencing. What it does is change with voltage from the bike (runnning or off) to change the DSP curve. Now this is the factory setup I'm referring to only.
The distortion level these headunits produce are again from the internal DSP settings they have. We've tore apart a couple of them and bypassed the DSP system and ran almost 97% volume before we got distortion. That's actually pretty freaking amazing but keep in mind the headunit isn't pushing much wattage. What I wanted to find out is how much the actual DSP messes with everything and man oh man does it.
So now options to correct this is with the BT LL to change it by counteracting the HU DSP curve by modifying it with another frequency adjustment. Not the most ideal scenario as your just readjusting an already crappy DSP signal with another frequency change.
With the arc/JL DSP the ability to actually override the DSP, no matter the flash, is no doubt the way to go.
The loc converts the radio out to a usable-stable output for connecting to the amp. Ive switched to basically all high output LOC's for the reasons you stated above. Most of the high powered line output converter consists, primarily, of a transformer and often a high power resistor (commonly a10 watt resistor). The resistor is used to load the amplifier in the head unit. Some amplifiers will exhibit less than ideal manners when they are unloaded. Remember that the head unit's outputs had a large quick increase in DC voltage when the head unit is switched on in which I found to be very true in the Rushmore hu's.
The transformer will pass the difference in voltage between the two input terminals. Since the DC voltage increases simultaneously on both of the input terminals of the line output converter (and therefore the transformers in the converter), the pulse of DC is canceled out. If the line output converter simply used resistors as a voltage divider (with no transformer), the turn on pop would be severe for most amplifiers and bye-bye speakers when this happens.

Another benefit of using transformers in the converter is that it allows the shield ground on the output of the converter to float. This means that it can be grounded to any point in the vehicle and there will be no chance of creating a ground loop between the output shield ground and the head unit's ground.

This doesn't mean you can't use LOC's that are all resistor based. Again that's what you were finding out works well.

Too much info I know, lol....sorry

The following users liked this post:
Bunker (06-07-2017)
Old 06-08-2017, 08:40 PM
HD_Doobie
Road Captain

My understanding is the Biketronics Line Leveler is a highly modified Pac SNI-35. Is the SNI-35 considered a high powered line out converter? Does it have a transformer and resistors in it? Has anyone taken a BT LL apart yet?

Great info here.. http://www.bcae1.com/loc.htm

Old 06-09-2017, 06:15 AM
tesnevo
Club Member

i have a couple of different LOC's, that folks use here, in the shop and may crack a couple of them open to see.

Bar non, the best LOC's I've found to date are the Navone ones. Great guy and very knowledgeable. (This isn't an advertisement for him or his products just stating that these are the best ones I found.)
http://davidnavone.com/product/n-rhl...put-converter/

Last edited by tesnevo; 06-09-2017 at 06:23 AM.