Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

KW- X998 settings?

Old 06-12-2017, 06:50 AM
Markeje
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default KW- X998 settings?

Hey does anyone have any suggested settings for the KW-998? I've been messing with it and I am happy with the sound over all. However, when I have it set where I really want it, at the volume I want it while riding....I clip. Running the Arc 600.4 with DD's.
Should the DSP be on or off? Seems the only way to get it at the level I want it is to have the DSP off and the gain on the Arc at Zero. Doesn't seem right?

Old 06-12-2017, 07:22 AM
BaggerAudioLab
Banned
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

If the Arc clips it's likely that your gains are too high. If you can replicated it with your fairing off when the green light goes red and gives you a series of flashes the Arc manual has code reference to let you know what those flashes mean. If it's distortion then lower the gains a tad, how did you set your gains?

Some basic settings I would leave the DSP on, EQ drive off, set the crossover on the amp to flat and on the 998 to 80hz -12db, or you can try 90hz -6db, sound enhancer off, then adjust the EQ to your liking.

The following users liked this post:
Markeje (06-15-2017)
Old 06-12-2017, 10:05 AM
Markeje
Advanced

Thanks BAL -
Gain is turned all the way down to the left. Arc is bridged and the crossover is 85 give or take a couple.
When you say to set the 998 to 80hz to -12 or 90hz to -6. I am not sure where you mean on the 998. I am pretty sure I have the EQ drive off, Sound enhancer off.

Edit - looking at the manual. You mean setting the X'over on the 998. So I assume that Speaker type will be FRONT. High pass to 80 or 90hz and then SLOPE to -12 or 16 respectively. If that is what you mean, what is gain set to? "0" I assume?

Last edited by Markeje; 06-12-2017 at 10:13 AM.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:08 AM
BaggerAudioLab
Banned
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

First check why it's clipping. If the amp is set all the way to zero it should not be clipping even bridged. If you have a DMM check and see at what voltage you are getting from the amp. Also if your battery is weak, it will cause the amp to clip as well.

Set the amp to full pass and make your adjustments in the audio setting of the radio under "pro settings". This likely won't fix your clipping issue though, but that's where the headunit filters are.

Check the lights first and see what's causing the issue.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:34 AM
Markeje
Advanced

Ok - I will check the trouble light.
Well I have it on the HIGH pass at the moment. I checked the wiring. That all looks good and correct.
Where or how do I check the output Voltage with the DMM? Is it on the amp output on each channel? As in one lead on one channel and one lead on the other bridged channel?

Old 06-12-2017, 03:09 PM
AAWAV
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

can you post bike year, AVC turned off, did you put low output x998 to amp (not high - speaker - output), etc. that would help us, as Haze already mentioned it is very unlikely the amp clips at with the gains set to "zero" (all the way to the left)

Old 06-13-2017, 07:18 AM
Markeje
Advanced

2004 FLHTCSE - AVC is off on the BT. Low input.
I did not know I could set a crossover in the 998. So that needs to be done. I need to switch the Arc 600 to Full pass. It's on high at the moment.
Subwoofer level is "0"
Drive EQ is OFF
Manual EQ - normal settings
DSP is on - was off
Car type - Non Compensating
Speaker Setting - FRONT. Door, 6.5
Speaker X'over - Need to set.(not sure to set FRONT or Tweeter on this)Assume FRONT.
Listening Position - ALL (or Front All?)
Sound enhancements - ALL OFF - Supreme mode may be ON. Preset from Factory.
Volume offset - "0"
Gain - "0"
Q Factor - 1.50
Bass EXT - OFF

In the manual, it tells you how the 998 comes from the factory with all the audio settings on pages 18-21. Most settings get left alone it appears, but some need changed. Trying to figure out WHAT to change and to WHAT is where I am at. It looks like there are about 26 settings that need to be looked at verified for correct positioning.

On the Arc when BAL says set the Crossover to fllat..does that mean all the way to the left at 50hz?

And HOW do I check the Voltage output on the amp and what should it be set to. Thanks.

Last edited by Markeje; 06-13-2017 at 07:35 AM.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:48 PM
Markeje
Advanced

Originally Posted by Markeje
2004 FLHTCSE - AVC is off on the BT. Low input.
I did not know I could set a crossover in the 998. So that needs to be done. I need to switch the Arc 600 to Full pass. It's on high at the moment.
Subwoofer level is "0"
Drive EQ is OFF
Manual EQ - normal settings
DSP is on - was
Car type - Non Compensating
Speaker Setting - FRONT. Door, 6.5
Speaker X'over - Need to set.(not sure to set FRONT or Tweeter on this)Assume FRONT.
Listening Position - ALL (or Front All?)
Sound enhancements - ALL OFF - Supreme mode may be ON. Preset from Factory.
Volume offset - "0"
Gain - "0"
Q Factor - 1.50
Bass EXT - OFF

In the manual, it tells you how the 998 comes from the factory with all the audio settings on pages 18-21. Most settings get left alone it appears, but some need changed. Trying to figure out WHAT to change and to WHAT is where I am at. It looks like there are about 26 settings that need to be looked at verified for correct positioning.

On the Arc when BAL says set the Crossover to fllat..does that mean all the way to the left at 50hz?

And HOW do I check the Voltage output on the amp and what should it be set to. Thanks.
ok so i i watched the trouble light on the arc. It says bu 1 long and 2 short that it is a short in channel 1-4. But this makes no sense. It plays fine until driven at higher volumes. Code 12. I have checked all wires again and dont see an issue. Stupid txo crossovers have the wires reversed. I am following the + or - on the txo box and not the wires.

Last edited by Markeje; 06-13-2017 at 06:53 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 06:17 PM
Markeje
Advanced

I cut all the wires and ohmed out the each speaker which are brand new. Each one ohms in at 4.3 to 4.5. Since they all come in at about the same, I assume they are all good to go.
The arc is brand new as well. Everything is set on it correctly for bridged setup according to the manual.
With the gain turned all the way down and the crossover all the way down to 50 it will still give me the Code 12. One long and 2 short red lights then resets. It will only do this if i have the volume up to 32 on the X998. 35 is max. But I LIKE it at 32 at highway speeds.

I went into the 998 and changed all the settings according to suggestions on here. Same same. But there are a million freakin settings to which I am beginning to hate. I am wishing now I went with a MUCH simpler HU.

This is same cut out is exactly what the arc amp I just returned did. Same Same. So I do not believe it is in the amp end of things.

Could one of those TXO crossovers be causing this?? Is that possible?

I am frustrated at this point.

Old 06-13-2017, 06:48 PM
AAWAV
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

get a 1khz test tone.
DISCONNECT all your speakers from the ARC.
leave X998 connected via RCA to the AMP.
turn volume on X998 to zero.
Play the 1khz tone (preferably looping).
with DDM (multimeter) on AC (so usually the 220V setting) measure 1 of the 4 channels (or bridged; whatever you want)while slowly turning up the volume on the X998 (AMP gain is still on minimum right!). turn volume up to 32 (I actually dialed my setup in on volume 32 as well). depending on single channel or bridged write down the Vac on the DDM.
Slye's sticky will provide you the wattage, etc table and also instructions.
here: DDM gain dial in

use the table to determine the watts (4 ohm)... if you are NOT getting to the watts on volume 32, slowly increase the gain on the amp til you hit the watts.

I am not familiar with ARC amps but code 12 shows shortage (temporary) on the web.
did you try to change the RCA's?

X998 is "complex" but it does provide way more options. I am not suspecting the HU to be the issue....
you can actually check this by using another "input" device with RCA's (like old CD player or whatever).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: KW- X998 settings?