Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking For a Clean System on a Budget

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 09:37 AM
Kawickrice
Elite HDF Member
Received 3,247 Likes on 1,517 Posts
Default Looking For a Clean System on a Budget

Howdy Fellas,
I have s 17 Limited that needs a Clean sounding system using the factory HU and 4 speakers 2 in the fairing and 2 in the rear pods and not costing thousands lol.
The wife can't hear the music at highway speeds so she has given me the go ahead as long as I can see the unicorn and not chase it.
I am leaning towards the Soundstream PN4 1000d amp as it has great reviews and priced Right. Is this correct thinking so far?
I listen to metal/rock she likes country. The closet to rap we will go is Kid Rock.
With that being said I need suggestions on speakers of the correct ohms for the amp and our genre of music and any and all installation parts and pieces. I will be doing the install myself. I have never messed with motorcycle audio so any harnesses, pigtails, gizmos to make it right the FIRST time is where I need help.
It has been 30 years since I have installed a real system so take it easy on me with the technical things, I have forgotten a lot and technology has changed somewhat.
My goal is as clean sounding as possible, not so much loud. In my opinion if it's clean loud will follow without eardrums bleeding.
The last true system I installed was Alpine HU, Alpine EQ with 2 Sherwood 240 amps and 1 Sherwood 180 amp pushing 4 12 inch MTX Terminators 5x7 Alpine dash speakers and Alpine 6x9s in the doors with satilite​ tweets. All crammed into an 86 S10 standard cab pickup truck that hit so hard it brings a smile to my face thinking about it.
I want to hear any and all suggestions from the gurus who know the bikes and equipment. My list has started now I need to complete it.
Thanks for your time guys.

Old 06-18-2017, 12:17 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Kawickrice
Howdy Fellas,
I have s 17 Limited that needs a Clean sounding system using the factory HU and 4 speakers 2 in the fairing and 2 in the rear pods and not costing thousands lol.
The wife can't hear the music at highway speeds so she has given me the go ahead as long as I can see the unicorn and not chase it.
I am leaning towards the Soundstream PN4 1000d amp as it has great reviews and priced Right. Is this correct thinking so far?
I listen to metal/rock she likes country. The closet to rap we will go is Kid Rock.
With that being said I need suggestions on speakers of the correct ohms for the amp and our genre of music and any and all installation parts and pieces. I will be doing the install myself. I have never messed with motorcycle audio so any harnesses, pigtails, gizmos to make it right the FIRST time is where I need help.
It has been 30 years since I have installed a real system so take it easy on me with the technical things, I have forgotten a lot and technology has changed somewhat.
My goal is as clean sounding as possible, not so much loud. In my opinion if it's clean loud will follow without eardrums bleeding.
The last true system I installed was Alpine HU, Alpine EQ with 2 Sherwood 240 amps and 1 Sherwood 180 amp pushing 4 12 inch MTX Terminators 5x7 Alpine dash speakers and Alpine 6x9s in the doors with satilite​ tweets. All crammed into an 86 S10 standard cab pickup truck that hit so hard it brings a smile to my face thinking about it.
I want to hear any and all suggestions from the gurus who know the bikes and equipment. My list has started now I need to complete it.
Thanks for your time guys.
You sure you don't want 6 speakers? Riding two up the wife normally covers up the pod speakers. You're best shot for her to hear your music is upper fairing and lower speakers. You want the DD AW6.5 speakers and the AT28 tweeters in the fairing. MMATS 601.4 speakers in the lowers. AD Designs CX62 speakers in the rear pods. Probably more than you want to spend but it's better than doing it twice or 3 times. You can run all those speakers off the SS and the OL will be a happy camper!

Old 06-18-2017, 01:17 PM
BaggerAudioLab
Banned
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

Just know that you will need to cut the stock amp tray to fit the PN4.1000d or you will need t purchase the JM amp tray. Otherwise that amp doesn't fit in the stock tray.

Old 06-18-2017, 01:18 PM
Kawickrice
Elite HDF Member
Received 3,247 Likes on 1,517 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannicus
You sure you don't want 6 speakers? Riding two up the wife normally covers up the pod speakers. You're best shot for her to hear your music is upper fairing and lower speakers. You want the DD AW6.5 speakers and the AT28 tweeters in the fairing. MMATS 601.4 speakers in the lowers. AD Designs CX62 speakers in the rear pods. Probably more than you want to spend but it's better than doing it twice or 3 times. You can run all those speakers off the SS and the OL will be a happy camper!
I would love 6 speakers. Wasn't aware I could run speakers in the lowers with the radiators taking up all the room. I am assuming that there is some sort of spacer ring to put speakers in the lowers?

Old 06-18-2017, 03:37 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Kawickrice
I would love 6 speakers. Wasn't aware I could run speakers in the lowers with the radiators taking up all the room. I am assuming that there is some sort of spacer ring to put speakers in the lowers?
Hold the phone!! Lol! Wasn't aware you had a radiator in the lowers. It's achievable but a little more labor intensive. There's a member here with pics of his install.

Old 06-18-2017, 03:41 PM
reno55
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BaggerAudioLab
Just know that you will need to cut the stock amp tray to fit the PN4.1000d or you will need t purchase the JM amp tray. Otherwise that amp doesn't fit in the stock tray.
Not to hijack the thread but what budget amp do you recommend that will fit the stock amp tray?

Old 06-18-2017, 07:38 PM
BaggerAudioLab
Banned

Originally Posted by reno55
Not to hijack the thread but what budget amp do you recommend that will fit the stock amp tray?
depends on how many speakers and budget but I like the Arc 600.4 and MMats 4100 as a four channel. The DD D4 and JL 500/4 sound great bridged to two speakers.

Old 06-18-2017, 09:22 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by BaggerAudioLab
depends on how many speakers and budget but I like the Arc 600.4 and MMats 4100 as a four channel. The DD D4 and JL 500/4 sound great bridged to two speakers.
I would not consider the MMats a good 4 channel amp at all for a sled as it pushes a mere 100x4 @ 4.

T.

Old 06-18-2017, 09:38 PM
BaggerAudioLab
Banned

Originally Posted by Tailwind
I would not consider the MMats a good 4 channel amp at all for a sled as it pushes a mere 100x4 @ 4.

T.
Really depends on the speakers T. This bike is running a JL 600/6 and pushing just 70w per channel and it flat out thumps!!! We did a bike recently with the Mats amp and it turned out better than initially expected. On a budget, good sound quality and fits in a fairing is a tough combo with not lots of options out there.

Last edited by BaggerAudioLab; 06-18-2017 at 09:52 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:53 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Depends on a lot of things thus the reason my statement of "I would not consider" is what it is. Not one speaker I have purchased would do well with 100 watts. Maybe some Speaks do but not the stuff I dabble with. 150x4 @4 would be as light as I would go.

T

Quick Reply: Looking For a Clean System on a Budget