Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Audio Systems (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio-systems-153/)
-   -   Confused newbie, audio upgrade! (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio-systems/1183402-confused-newbie-audio-upgrade.html)

darkwing96 06-20-2017 08:27 PM

Confused newbie, audio upgrade!

I have a '14 SG and looking to upgrade my stock system. After reading several post and reviews, for several weeks now, the RF PBR300x2 seems to be a popular choice on this forum, plus I'm also on a budget. What I really need to know is, what is a good quality set of 6.5" speakers to buy, without having to modify my stock pods. Really want something that will drop right in. Do I need 2 or 4 ohms, and exactly how to wire them? That is the confusing part! Will I need to flash my HU at the dealership once I do get it all installed? I've read you don't and I've read you do. I will only be changing out the front speakers, and adding a amp. I'll be doing the install myself. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

SgtMic 06-20-2017 09:28 PM

Most of us don't prefer that RF amp. You can use the Biketronics line leveler instead of the flash.

What is your budget?

uplandpinter 06-20-2017 09:35 PM

Hold off on the PBR for now. The guys on here will direct you through this hole project. Also what is your meaning of budget? For some it may be $100 and others a $1000 or more. Throw out the number you are actually able/willing to spend and the guys will get you fixed up.

matt76cmich 06-21-2017 05:55 AM

For a 2 speaker setup I'd go for the CV B52 over the PBR. The B52 is rated at 200W X 2@ 4ohm and will be able to give you plenty of power no matter what speakers you go with. There is also the JL MHX280/4, but you'd be limited to 4ohm as this is a popular amp to bridge to get around 170Wx2@4ohm.

B52
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00ZA...erwin+vega+b52

JL
Well, it appears the $150 2015/16 version is a little harder to get.

Gannicus 06-21-2017 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by darkwing96 (Post 16357214)
I have a '14 SG and looking to upgrade my stock system. After reading several post and reviews, for several weeks now, the RF PBR300x2 seems to be a popular choice on this forum, plus I'm also on a budget. What I really need to know is, what is a good quality set of 6.5" speakers to buy, without having to modify my stock pods. Really want something that will drop right in. Do I need 2 or 4 ohms, and exactly how to wire them? That is the confusing part! Will I need to flash my HU at the dealership once I do get it all installed? I've read you don't and I've read you do. I will only be changing out the front speakers, and adding a amp. I'll be doing the install myself. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

All the guys above are correct. The PBR was popular 5 years ago. Not the preferred amp today. As Matt said. On a budget you want the Cerwin Vega B52 or the JL amp for a two speaker set up. Preferably you want 4 ohm speakers. This will give you more flexibility if you ever decide to upgrade.

A few good quality set of 6.5 speakers to buy are:

1. DD AW6.5 speakers with the AT28 tweeters.
2. AD Designs CX62
3. Arc Moto 602

All three of these 6.5's are 4 ohm speakers and will perform well with the amps mentioned.

FireFighter200 06-21-2017 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by Gannicus (Post 16358354)
All the guys above are correct. The PBR was popular 5 years ago. Not the preferred amp today. As Matt said. On a budget you want the Cerwin Vega B52 or the JL amp for a two speaker set up. Preferably you want 4 ohm speakers. This will give you more flexibility if you ever decide to upgrade.

A few good quality set of 6.5 speakers to buy are:

1. DD AW6.5 speakers with the AT28 tweeters.
2. AD Designs CX62
3. Arc Moto 602

All three of these 6.5's are 4 ohm speakers and will perform well with the amps mentioned.

I just did this exact same setup (minus the Arc Moto) and it rocks. The guys here will not lead you in the wrong direction. I could not be happier with my setup and after diving in, it got easier to install.

MMXIWG 06-21-2017 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by FireFighter200 (Post 16358417)
I just did this exact same setup (minus the Arc Moto) and it rocks. The guys here will not lead you in the wrong direction. I could not be happier with my setup and after diving in, it got easier to install.

You guys that are doing CX62s or 602s putting them in the stock fairing pods or using the BT brackets?

FireFighter200 06-21-2017 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by MMXIWG (Post 16358704)
You guys that are doing CX62s or 602s putting them in the stock fairing pods or using the BT brackets?

Here is what I did with the guidance from the members.....

Front

DD AW6.5 speakers with the AT28 tweeters, BT Brackets

Rear

AD Designs CX62 in the rear pods with VTwin Audio rear pod spacers

Amps

JL amp to power the DD's & 4. B52 to power the AD's

Accessories

VTwin Amp mount try - (It's a nice cheap must have)
BT Line leveler (A must have)
10' - 4 Ga. Power line (Stinger wire)
10 '- 4 Ga. Ground wire (Stinger Wire)
5' - 8 Ga. Power line (Stinger wire)
5' - 8 Ga. Ground wire (Stinger Wire)
30' - 16 Ga. Speaker wire (Stinger)
1 - 4 Ga. to (2) 8 Ga. power distribution block (Fusible)
1 - 4 Ga. to (2) 8 Ga. ground distribution block
Zip ties (18"+)
Velcro

I might be missing some little odds and ends like wire connectors, but I think that is a good list to start with. On a side note, I am currently working on doing the dynamat in the front fairing using the stencils from another thread.

MMXIWG 06-21-2017 10:08 AM

Great reply, thanks! My specific question is regarding the CX62s or 602s in the fairing specifically. Pods or brackets?

FireFighter200 06-21-2017 10:15 AM

I think you will have to use the brackets with those speakers.