Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Change out my J and M Rokkers or go to a bigger amp?

Old 07-10-2017, 07:39 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailwind
If I was going to run ANY speakers in parallel, it would not be off the ARC 600.4.

IMHO of course.

T.
Yup ^^^^^That^^^^^

Old 07-10-2017, 11:31 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Depends on the speakers bro! Those speakers the op presently has can be ran in parallel off the Arc amp and sound good doing it. He's got the kappa's and Pioneers. Been there done that. It sounds good. But don't take my word for it. What the hell do I know?

Old 07-11-2017, 06:44 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannicus
Depends on the speakers bro! Those speakers the op presently has can be ran in parallel off the Arc amp and sound good doing it. He's got the kappa's and Pioneers. Been there done that. It sounds good. But don't take my word for it. What the hell do I know?
Just can't get on board with ya on this one G. The ARC Moto is a constant power / constant watt amp so anyone buying this amp with the intent of running speaks in parallel off it is bad move.
In this case the Pioneers may run good off the 75 watts they will be getting from and ARC 600.4, but they will run very good off the 125 they could be getting off a non-constant watt amp.

T.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:05 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Not gonna doubt you at all Gann, I'm just looking at it from a headroom perspective. If you say it works then it works. I suspect the Pioneer ratings play a huge part in making this an effective move.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:28 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Just can't get on board with ya on this one G. The ARC Moto is a constant power / constant watt amp so anyone buying this amp with the intent of running speaks in parallel off it is bad move.
In this case the Pioneers may run good off the 75 watts they will be getting from and ARC 600.4, but they will run very good off the 125 they could be getting off a non-constant watt amp.

T.
All good bro! If we agreed on everything we wouldn't be friends.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:33 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by SBates08
Not gonna doubt you at all Gann, I'm just looking at it from a headroom perspective. If you say it works then it works. I suspect the Pioneer ratings play a huge part in making this an effective move.
Absolutely SB. The Pioneers are only rated at 60W RMS. That's one reason it works out. Now if you had 100W RMS speakers. You guys are would be correct. The Arc amp works much better with high sensitivity pro audio speakers.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:39 AM
Bluesman280
Road Master
Received 186 Likes on 157 Posts

If I was going to run ANY speakers in parallel, it would not be off the ARC 600.4.

IMHO of course.

T.
Hey Tailwind,
Just out of curiosity, what amp would you lean towards?

Also wondering what is the biggest amp, wattage wise a guy can fit into the batwing on my 2005 Ultra?
Better to run all 6 speakers off one amp, or plan on 2 amps?

I find it's always better to have more amp than you need, rather than not enough.
I used to be heavy into car audio 30 years ago. Practically a pioneer in the subwoofer days. Haven't done much audio in 15 years though. Lots of things have changed, lots of new brands, and this bike stuff is a whole new ballgame. Especially with the size restrictions, and environmental issues.
Thanks for all the help guys.

Old 07-11-2017, 12:17 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluesman280
Hey Tailwind,
Just out of curiosity, what amp would you lean towards?

Also wondering what is the biggest amp, wattage wise a guy can fit into the batwing on my 2005 Ultra?
Better to run all 6 speakers off one amp, or plan on 2 amps?

I find it's always better to have more amp than you need, rather than not enough.
I used to be heavy into car audio 30 years ago. Practically a pioneer in the subwoofer days. Haven't done much audio in 15 years though. Lots of things have changed, lots of new brands, and this bike stuff is a whole new ballgame. Especially with the size restrictions, and environmental issues.
Thanks for all the help guys.
It really just depends on your budget. I'm a huge fan of the Hertz HDP4 but that's a very tight damn fit on your year sled. It is a non-constant watt amp so it is rated at 150x4@4 ohm and 225x4@2ohm so in your case that would offer plenty of head room for your proposed speaker set up. I am currently running 6 Speaks off this amp benefiting from the non-constant watt engineering.
I'm sure many folks will share their their thoughts on a great amp for your year model but ur amp budget will drive thus so u might want to throw out a number. With the right amp u will not need to add an additional one with the Kappas and Pioneers.

T.

Old 07-11-2017, 02:33 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Bluesman -

If you're looking for a cheaper amp than the Moto 600.4
Check out the Precision Power i1000.4 fits in the fairing and will drive all your speakers with power and sound pretty dam good doing it. It's the brother to the SS PN4.1000D. Basically the same amp.

Old 07-11-2017, 05:50 PM
Bluesman280
Road Master
Received 186 Likes on 157 Posts

It really just depends on your budget. I'm a huge fan of the Hertz HDP4 but that's a very tight damn fit on your year sled. It is a non-constant watt amp so it is rated at 150x4@4 ohm and 225x4@2ohm so in your case that would offer plenty of head room for your proposed speaker set up. I am currently running 6 Speaks off this amp benefiting from the non-constant watt engineering.
I'm sure many folks will share their their thoughts on a great amp for your year model but ur amp budget will drive thus so u might want to throw out a number. With the right amp u will not need to add an additional one with the Kappas and Pioneers.

T.
I like the wattage numbers on that amp. Looks like it would definitely be versitile at upgrade time. My only concern would be size, I will have to check the size when I have the batwing apart next time.
I haven't really figured out a budget as of yet. Just looking for good amp choices that would fit in the fairing and would be good choices to watch for when they go on sale. That Hertz Hdx4 happens to be on sale locally here In Canada at $375, but no spare cash right now, just ordered speakers, needed better speakers first. Had to work with the amps I already had.

​​​​​​I am sure the Infinitys, pioneers, and the two Rockfords will keep me happy for awhile, the J and M's were just not doing it for me.
I am just hoping to keep my eyes open for deals on the next level of upgrades as things go on sale down the road.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Change out my J and M Rokkers or go to a bigger amp?