Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Change out my J and M Rokkers or go to a bigger amp?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 06:31 PM
Bluesman280
Road Master
Received 186 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannicus
Bluesman -

If you're looking for a cheaper amp than the Moto 600.4
Check out the Precision Power i1000.4 fits in the fairing and will drive all your speakers with power and sound pretty dam good doing it. It's the brother to the SS PN4.1000D. Basically the same amp.
That Moto amp seems like a pricey option at $650. Is it worth the big buck jump up from the SS and the precision Power options?
Price wise the SS, the PP seem pretty reasonable around $150 or less. The Cerwin Vega B-52 is around the same and the B-54 is around $200. Amazing how much prices can vary between Canada and the US. Saved $100us even after paying $90 for duty and express shipping on the Kappas and pioneer speakers by ordering them south of the border.

Old 07-12-2017, 05:55 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Your biggest bang for the buck is gonna be the PPI amp. With the speakers you have it's your best choice. The Arc amp requires high end speakers to perform well. Preferably Pro Audio.

Old 07-15-2017, 10:20 AM
Bluesman280
Road Master

Looking forward to those speakers showing up this week. Do the HD grills in the rear pods fit over those pioneer grills? If not, what do you recommend for grills, doesn't look like the pioneers offer much protection.

Also wandering about the J and M sound deadning material I have in the fairing, ok to leave it, better to remove it, worth putting in dynamat?

Rockford PBR amps currently connected with RCA's. Read somewhere, they work better with the high level inputs off the HU. Currently using a Sony HU. Better to continue using the RCAs or switch to High levels off the HU to the RF amp

Old 07-15-2017, 08:12 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bluesman280
Looking forward to those speakers showing up this week. Do the HD grills in the rear pods fit over those pioneer grills? If not, what do you recommend for grills, doesn't look like the pioneers offer much protection.

Also wandering about the J and M sound deadning material I have in the fairing, ok to leave it, better to remove it, worth putting in dynamat?

Rockford PBR amps currently connected with RCA's. Read somewhere, they work better with the high level inputs off the HU. Currently using a Sony HU. Better to continue using the RCAs or switch to High levels off the HU to the RF amp
If you purchase the PPI you will need RCA's for low level input. The stock grills won't fit over the Pioneers. Leave the JM sound deadening material in place. It actually does a good job. I have a shelf full of grills. PM me and I'll send you a set.

The following users liked this post:
Bluesman280 (07-18-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 02:58 PM
Bluesman280
Road Master

If you purchase the PPI you will need RCA's for low level input. The stock grills won't fit over the Pioneers. Leave the JM sound deadening material in place. It actually does a good job. I have a shelf full of grills. PM me and I'll send you a set.
Hey G.
Thanks for the offer on the grills, I should be able to find something laying around town at one of the install shops, if not I will let you know.
Speakers arrived yesterday. Wont have time for a couple days to tackle the fairing or the lowers, but I already installed the Pioneers in the rear pods.
What a huge difference over the Sony 5.25" 2 ways I had in there.
Was pleasantly surprised when I hit the highway to run a couple errands and could feel the thump of the pioneers on my back.
Looking forward to installing those Infinity speakers, and replacing the speakers in the lowers.

Old 07-20-2017, 07:39 PM
Bluesman280
Road Master

Speakers showed up and I m coming down the home stretch. Is it best to wrap those Infinity speakers in the fairing with poly fill and should it be loosely wrapped or fairly snug. Currently I have it fairly snug, with a band of electric tape around outside edge of the Scoche adapters to hold it on. The speakers are quite loud but seem a bit dull. Even after adjusting the EQ they seem a bit dull, but that could be partially because the 4 pioneer Tsa 1686 are quite a bit brighter. Wondering if I should leave it like that or open the fairing again and loosen up the poly fill. not sure how much the poly fill could be effecting the tone.

Old 07-20-2017, 07:44 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Rod which Sony HU are you using?

Old 07-20-2017, 10:50 PM
Bluesman280
Road Master

Sony MEX 70bt settings
EQ set to Explode or Electronic. Leave the adjustable EQ settings alone.
HPF set to 80 Slope 1
DSEE set to on
Loudness (AAV) OFF!!!!!!!!!

Hey Sbates, Thanks for the info on settings.
Sounds better already.
Looking forward to the road test, unfortunately we had a heavy rain storm blow in just as I got everything finished up.

Old 07-21-2017, 04:04 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Lose the polyfil bro! You don't need it. That's why they are sounding dull.

Old 07-27-2017, 10:30 AM
Bluesman280
Road Master

Lose the polyfil bro! You don't need it. That's why they are sounding dull.
Poly fill gone, definitely an improvement.
Everything is sounding way better, but getting a little more distortion at the high end of the volume level than I like, and that's where I seem to gravitate to at highway speeds.
Most likely caused by the limitations of the 2 PBRs im running everything off of now.
Planning on the SS PN4.1000D or the PPI depending on price and availability.
Do I need anything extra to mount either of these amps in the fairing or does it fit right on top of my Sony HU. Currently one of the PBRs sits on the HU, the second is bolted to a hog tunes amp bracket that mounts on the left side beside the speaker and replaces the old fairing bracket. Will I need any brackets or does it fit right on top of the head unit.