Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Change out my J and M Rokkers or go to a bigger amp?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 11:36 AM
Bluesman280
Road Master
Received 186 Likes on 157 Posts
Default Change out my J and M Rokkers or go to a bigger amp?

Hey guys, gotta make a change.
Currently have J and M Rokkers Xt series in my 2005 Ultra.
Running them with. RF PBR 300 x 2 off a Sony deck with RCA preouts.
Like the sound, tone, and the little bit of mid bass I get, but I need more volume.
Am I better off to replace the RF amp and go to a CV B52, or B54, or switch out the J and M's for something like the infinity kappa, or the Polks.

Would like to jump up to the AD CX62, just don't have the cash at the moment. It will have to be a future upgrade.

What speakers could I toss in the rear pods on a budget without the adapter rings? Don't want them to get in wife's way?
What speakers could I toss in the lowers on a budget?
Currently have a PBR 300 x 2 and a PBR 300 x 4 and a Kenwood M3004 to work with.

Old 07-07-2017, 02:30 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluesman280
Hey guys, gotta make a change.
Currently have J and M Rokkers Xt series in my 2005 Ultra.
Running them with. RF PBR 300 x 2 off a Sony deck with RCA preouts.
Like the sound, tone, and the little bit of mid bass I get, but I need more volume.
Am I better off to replace the RF amp and go to a CV B52, or B54, or switch out the J and M's for something like the infinity kappa, or the Polks.

Would like to jump up to the AD CX62, just don't have the cash at the moment. It will have to be a future upgrade.

What speakers could I toss in the rear pods on a budget without the adapter rings? Don't want them to get in wife's way?
What speakers could I toss in the lowers on a budget?
Currently have a PBR 300 x 2 and a PBR 300 x 4 and a Kenwood M3004 to work with.
Go with the infinity Kappas in the fairing. You have enough amps to make it work. Run the Kappas off the PBR300X2. Throw a set of Pioneer TS-A1686R in the lowers and rear pods and run em off the PBR300X4. Done.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:27 PM
Bluesman280
Road Master

Originally Posted by Gannicus
Go with the infinity Kappas in the fairing. You have enough amps to make it work. Run the Kappas off the PBR300X2. Throw a set of Pioneer TS-A1686R in the lowers and rear pods and run em off the PBR300X4. Done.
Thanks, I was hoping there would be an option that might work with those amps.
Do those pioneers fit with out any spacers?

Old 07-07-2017, 10:55 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Thanks, I was hoping there would be an option that might work with those amps.
Do those pioneers fit with out any spacers?
Yes Sir!

Old 07-08-2017, 11:31 AM
Bluesman280
Road Master

Most of the guys on the forums here have no doubt gone through the trial and error phase to get to where they are now.
I see a few guys recommending the Kappas and these Pioneers. What makes these ones a go to choice?
Is it their clarity, tone, highs, mids, lows, volume, the fact they fit, cost, wattage based on my RF amps, etc.

​Also surprised at the 4 way pioneer vs a 2 way just based on my old car stereo days.

Thanks for the help.
The trial and error phase can get expensive if you don't get lucky or find some great advice.
Neither of these speakers are available locally, so I would normally never even have tried them.
Looking forward to getting them ordered up and get back to rocking the highway.

Old 07-08-2017, 02:06 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Most of the guys on the forums here have no doubt gone through the trial and error phase to get to where they are now.
I see a few guys recommending the Kappas and these Pioneers. What makes these ones a go to choice?
Is it their clarity, tone, highs, mids, lows, volume, the fact they fit, cost, wattage based on my RF amps, etc.

​Also surprised at the 4 way pioneer vs a 2 way just based on my old car stereo days.

Thanks for the help.
The trial and error phase can get expensive if you don't get lucky or find some great advice.
Neither of these speakers are available locally, so I would normally never even have tried them.
Looking forward to getting them ordered up and get back to rocking the highway.
The suggestion was based on your budget and the amps you already have in addition to fit and finish. The pioneers fit every hole and they have a reasonable amount of thump for a 6.5 speaker.

Old 07-08-2017, 02:37 PM
Bluesman280
Road Master

The suggestion was based on your budget and the amps you already have in addition to fit and finish. The pioneers fit every hole and they have a reasonable amount of thump for a 6.5 speaker.
All sounds good, looking forward to giving them a try, thanks for all your help.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:48 AM
Bluesman280
Road Master

All sounds good, looking forward to giving them a try, thanks for all your help.
Yes Sir!
Currently have the speakers you recommended all ordered up. If I decide to watch for a good deals to upgrade the RF amps in the future what would be your recommendation.
Looking for the best options that would possibly allow for future upgrades and still be mounted in the fairing so I don't take up space in the bags or tour pack.
I currently have a RF 300 x 2, a 300 x 4 installed
​​​​And a Kenwood Kac M 3004 sitting on the shelf
I have one amp currently sitting on the Head unit, and the second amp on a hogtunes bracket on the brake side of the fairing.

Old 07-10-2017, 02:51 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Currently have the speakers you recommended all ordered up. If I decide to watch for a good deals to upgrade the RF amps in the future what would be your recommendation.
Looking for the best options that would possibly allow for future upgrades and still be mounted in the fairing so I don't take up space in the bags or tour pack.
I currently have a RF 300 x 2, a 300 x 4 installed
​​​​And a Kenwood Kac M 3004 sitting on the shelf
I have one amp currently sitting on the Head unit, and the second amp on a hogtunes bracket on the brake side of the fairing.
My recommendation would be to sell all three of those amps and go with the Arc Moto 600.4 You can run all 6 speakers of that amp. Done.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:59 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

My recommendation would be to sell all three of those amps and go with the Arc Moto 600.4 You can run all 6 speakers of that amp. Done.
If I was going to run ANY speakers in parallel, it would not be off the ARC 600.4.

IMHO of course.

T.

Quick Reply: Change out my J and M Rokkers or go to a bigger amp?