Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

System Installation Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 12:56 PM
XbonesMania
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 0lowrider1
Most installs , the ground is ran straight to the battery..have you checked the voltage with a Volt meter.? Or using the bike gauges ?
checked it with both. They are within .2. However it is the same whether I have the amp in line (fuse in) or out of the circuit (fuse pulled on amp power wire). At this point I am under the impression that the battery may be on its way out????

Old 07-23-2017, 07:28 PM
marshallb
Road Warrior
Received 173 Likes on 158 Posts

I doubt that grounding in the fairing is going to be a good place. I bet you will hear from someone soon that you need to take the gorund to the battery.

Old 07-23-2017, 07:55 PM
XbonesMania
Novice

Originally Posted by marshallb
I doubt that grounding in the fairing is going to be a good place. I bet you will hear from someone soon that you need to take the gorund to the battery.

marshall. The above is understood however I measured the resistance between the area I chose to ground the amp and the negative terminal of the battery and I saw 0ohms of resistance. This tells me that should be a good ground point.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Old 07-23-2017, 10:37 PM
marshallb
Road Warrior
Received 173 Likes on 158 Posts

I believe that is a constraint of the DMM. If you use a butt connector to join two pieces of spaeker wire a DMM may not measure an increase in resistance, but ther WILL be a voltage drop across the joint. I may not have simplified it enough but my point is when you consisder how the fairing, bars, and tripple tree is connected to the bike its really not a soild connection. Think about the bearings and the grease and those types of things and top that with the substantial amout of current that the amplifier draws and you can quickly see the issue.

The following users liked this post:
XbonesMania (07-24-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 04:26 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by XbonesMania
any ideas what it may be? I have the power wire in the tray straight to the battery with a 40 amp inline fuse. I hooked the ground up to one of the screws that holds down the radio and the remote is hooked up to a P&A wire.

Possibly the battery is on is on its way out? It's right around the 2 year mark.

Many ideas would be appreciated
What concerns me is the voltage remaining under 14v while riding. This is normally an indication that the voltage regulator is not operating as it should. That said. On a 16 you should not be having regulator problems. But anything is possible with these bikes! First thing I would do as others suggested is get the ground straight to the battery.

May or may not help. But it's a good place to start. At least you will know your power and ground is solid.

Secondly you need to make sure the battery is in good shape. A weak battery can cause all kinds of problems in these bikes especially with a new system install. Never hurts to throw a new battery in there.

After you replace the battery and you're still having the same problem with low voltage the only two things left is the regulator and the stator. The stators on a 16 are solid so I'd lean toward the regulator. Honestly, I think after you replace the battery. You're issue goes away.

The following users liked this post:
XbonesMania (07-24-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 07:41 AM
XbonesMania
Novice

Marshall/Gannicus,

Thanks for the info. I will move the gnd to the battery negative terminal and go from there.

Old 08-07-2017, 09:59 AM
XbonesMania
Novice

Marshall/Gannicus,

Changed out the power wire for 4ga. and ran the negative to the battery terminal. Voltage is now sitting at 14.3 or so now and everything appears back to normal. Thanks for the input and help with getting this sorted.