Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pics of How & Where you mounted your horns

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 08:19 AM
MMXIWG
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by yooperhog
i was thinkin something like that for horn mount on the pre-rushmore. winter project
Since I don't have the metal fab skills I was thinking of using that metal strapping they sell for mounting tweeters in cars. Might work for the AT28s since they have the screw hole in the back. Just have to get the straps bent the right way to maintain proper clearance.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:22 AM
bladeguy
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Adenton528
Blade, very creative outside the box thinking on those mounts. I'd be worried about the weather tearing those mounts up though. May look into some small pieces of HDPE from Grainger or something. They sell a lot of colors, sizes, and thickness and they're pretty cheap. Keep up the good work.
This just a quick mock up using free pieces of flooring from Home Depot. If I went with something like this it would either be painted or another substance. Thanks for the idea!

Old 07-26-2017, 08:27 AM
whataboutbob
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BaggerAudioLab
13 and down in the gauge holes
14+ SG where the mirrors go
14+ RG under the radio

these are the standard locations. There's a mount for 13 and down grills that we will start carrying next week that retails for 159.00 for the mount without the horn. Nothing for rushmores yet.
For the 14+ SG do you still have to cut into the fairing where the mirrors were located?

Old 07-26-2017, 08:28 AM
bladeguy
Tourer

Originally Posted by pdevore
Ok,
I guess I'm going to be "that guy" here. I think that might be the ugliest location and mount I've seen. I'm wondering what the plan to weather proof those horns. Everything is exposed, wiring and connections. Sometimes less is more and maybe a set of larger dome tweets would be a better fit.

If function over aesthetics is the goal, then carry on and ignore my thoughts.

Pete
Originally I was thinking of just posting the finished product which is going to be very different from this and it will look slick. But I thought it would be fun to post all the different iterations as I go. Wood will likely not be the final product, but if it was it would be trimmed down and painted. I do have plans to weatherproof this and that is the fun surprise. This was actually planned to be beneath the bars and tucked back closer to the fairing - basically out of sight - but I didn't have the right bracket handy. For now I am probably going to run with this for a while as it gets them mounted and I can move forward with installing my new amp and speakers in the lids. My previous solution was better looking but less practical. Please look at this as a process and not a final solution. That said I welcome all comments.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:31 AM
bladeguy
Tourer

Originally Posted by matt76cmich
Saw this today on Facebook.
Interesting!

Old 07-26-2017, 08:32 AM
bladeguy
Tourer

Originally Posted by MMXIWG
If we could find someone willing to sell those I would be in. So far each tweeter mount like that has been by someone with metal fab skills for personal use only.
I don't want to steal anyones thunder but I expect something like that to be available soon. Stay tuned...

Old 07-26-2017, 08:36 AM
bladeguy
Tourer

Originally Posted by SBates08
I'm with you Pete. I understand the reason but that's just butt ugly on that nice Limited. Sorry bro.
This just something I threw together in a couple of hours as a concept. Not the finished product. From the riders view I like the way it looks - although it would be more compact. From the side - yeah, it doesn't look all that great. It will work for a few weeks though...

Old 07-26-2017, 08:38 AM
bladeguy
Tourer

Originally Posted by whataboutbob
For the 14+ SG do you still have to cut into the fairing where the mirrors were located?
Haze -do you have pics of the new mounts? Maybe I will quit fabricating if I like them...

Old 07-26-2017, 08:55 AM
Sturgis67
Road Master
Received 117 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by pdevore
Ok,
I guess I'm going to be "that guy" here. I think that might be the ugliest location and mount I've seen. I'm wondering what the plan to weather proof those horns. Everything is exposed, wiring and connections. Sometimes less is more and maybe a set of larger dome tweets would be a better fit.

If function over aesthetics is the goal, then carry on and ignore my thoughts.

Pete
Agreed, oh, my, god, PLYWOOD????
Way to take a beautiful bike and "Beverly hillbilly" it up.

edit: I was reading on and realized it is only a mock-up. THANK GOD. LOL

Last edited by Sturgis67; 07-26-2017 at 09:01 AM.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:57 AM
BlackPearl#1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by matt76cmich
Saw this today on Facebook.

This has got Yooperhog written all over it!!!! Great find Matt.
Kris

Quick Reply: Pics of How & Where you mounted your horns