Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kappas with no amp.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:20 AM
W€€DWacker
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Kappas with no amp.

I've got two pair of Kappa 62.11i speakers for my "14" Limited. While I'm waiting to get an amp (living on a budget lol) I'd like to install these and see if I can get just a little better sound from my stock system. Will the Kappas sound any better than the stock speakers without an amp to drive them?
The reason I ask is because I did install a set of JBL Gx602 speakers in the front fairing... they literally sounded worse than the stock. The level of sound from them was considerably lower than the stock speakers and when increasing the volume to get the same loudness level they distorted terribly. Needless to say i took them back out and reinstalled the stock speakers. I don't want to waste time putting the Kappas in if I'm going to have the same problem.

Thanks for your advise.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:36 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by W€€DWacker
I've got two pair of Kappa 62.11i speakers for my "14" Limited. While I'm waiting to get an amp (living on a budget lol) I'd like to install these and see if I can get just a little better sound from my stock system. Will the Kappas sound any better than the stock speakers without an amp to drive them?
The reason I ask is because I did install a set of JBL Gx602 speakers in the front fairing... they literally sounded worse than the stock. The level of sound from them was considerably lower than the stock speakers and when increasing the volume to get the same loudness level they distorted terribly. Needless to say i took them back out and reinstalled the stock speakers. I don't want to waste time putting the Kappas in if I'm going to have the same problem.

Thanks for your advise.
No Sir. Gotta have an amp.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:10 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannicus
No Sir. Gotta have an amp.
Amen!!!!

As G mentioned, if ur gonna take the leap into aftermarket there really is no shallow end in this pool.
Ur gonna need a BT Line Leveler and an amp for sure.

Other possible work arounds for the BT LL but that is the most proven method for the masses to date and also keeps it plug and play into your factory harnesses.

T.

Old 07-22-2017, 06:53 AM
dugan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the Kappas and a Rockford Fosgate amp in my '12 SG. Not aware if have a "line leveler" or not. How would I know and what does it do? And to the OP, take the advice and get an amp.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:34 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

The line levelers are only needed with the 14 and up bikes. Your 2012 SG doesn't need it!!

The following 2 users liked this post by Gannicus:
rockymtman (07-26-2017), Toucan2442 (07-28-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 10:31 AM
dugan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks Gann! Your expertise and knowledge on this forum is a great asset.

Old 07-24-2017, 12:31 PM
W€€DWacker
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the advice everyone. I will get an amp and longer levelers and necessary wiring/hardware before I install the Kappas. I've been doing my research on amps and the SS PN4 1000d is a popular choice to pair with these Kappas especially for the price but there needs to be some modifications to the stock amp tray.
Are there any other suggested amps in the same price range that will work without doing any mods?

Old 07-24-2017, 12:41 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by W€€DWacker
Thanks for the advice everyone. I will get an amp and longer levelers and necessary wiring/hardware before I install the Kappas. I've been doing my research on amps and the SS PN4 1000d is a popular choice to pair with these Kappas especially for the price but there needs to be some modifications to the stock amp tray.
Are there any other suggested amps in the same price range that will work without doing any mods?
If you're only wanting to install a set of Kappas. Go with the Cerwin Vega B52. No modifications needed. All you need is industrial Velcro from home Depo. Easy install and great sound on a budget.

Old 07-24-2017, 06:51 PM
Mikes145
Road Captain
Received 151 Likes on 102 Posts

The OP got two pairs of the Kappas. Wouldn't he need a 4 channel amp or is the B52 sufficient? I only ask because I'm looking to do something similar. I'm also on a budget and want something better than the stock speakers.

Old 07-24-2017, 06:59 PM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikes145
The OP got two pairs of the Kappas. Wouldn't he need a 4 channel amp or is the B52 sufficient? I only ask because I'm looking to do something similar. I'm also on a budget and want something better than the stock speakers.
with 2 sets of kappas, i would go with a stronger amp, the b54 will push them well, but a solid 200w each is better. ive had 2 pair of kappas on 2 seperate bikes with a b54 on one and a pn4.1000d on the other, the extra 50+ watts is definately a plus

but the b54 fits much easier, and definately is no slouch with those speakers

Last edited by yooperhog; 07-24-2017 at 07:02 PM. Reason: add

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Kappas with no amp.