Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 RGU, looking for the next level, nothing crazy

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 12:59 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts
Default 2017 RGU, looking for the next level, nothing crazy

Folks, will be in Sturgis next week. While the Boom Audio on the 2017 FLTRU is the best I've ever had for a stock sound system, it needs a bit more to be audible on the highway.

I dont want to turn my bike into a rolling boombox for everyone to hear, and frankly I dont have the budge for it.

I spoke with the folks at Soundz, who have a great reputation, they're telling me the baseline system they would install is an amp (400w I think?) and 4 speakers, $1350 installed. I'm sure it would be fine.

Is that the smallest amount I can get away with to take it to the next level? Again, I dont need anything crazy.

As long as it works with my stock controls, and (according to Soundz) I dont want a line converter.

Any other suggestions?

Old 07-28-2017, 01:26 PM
Sturgis67
Road Master
Received 117 Likes on 94 Posts

No way, you can get much improved sound for less than that.

Cerwin vega b54 amp
infiniti Kappas
and some AD 6.5s
Will give great sound for about half that.

Read through a few threads and take the advice from the "pros" (not me) on this forum. They have helped untold numbers of people set up great systems for less than that (including me).

and with the '17 I believe you do need the LOC

Last edited by Sturgis67; 07-28-2017 at 01:31 PM.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:49 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sturgis67
No way, you can get much improved sound for less than that.

Cerwin vega b54 amp
infiniti Kappas
and some AD 6.5s
Will give great sound for about half that.

Read through a few threads and take the advice from the "pros" (not me) on this forum. They have helped untold numbers of people set up great systems for less than that (including me).

and with the '17 I believe you do need the LOC
Well, here's the rub: Soundz was telling me to *avoid* anyone recommending a line converter. And I was quite clear its a 2017 FLTRU (Boom Audio included)

I really would prefer to have it installed by someone who knows what they are doing, so I know I'll have to pay labor. Buying parts and installing myself is not in the cards right now, too much crap going on in my life right now, and I want it done right.

Old 07-28-2017, 02:00 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

A Line out Convertor (LOC) isn't what you'll need. Soundz is correct on that. What you will need is a Line Leveler (BT355) from Biketronics to tame the stock EQ so that you can run aftermarket components.

Old 07-28-2017, 02:03 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by SBates08
A Line out Convertor (LOC) isn't what you'll need. Soundz is correct on that. What you will need is a Line Leveler (BT355) from Biketronics to tame the stock EQ so that you can run aftermarket components.
Soundz said that as part of their installation, they flash the radio to do that.

Old 07-28-2017, 02:09 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Soundz said that as part of their installation, they flash the radio to do that.
If they have that ability to flash the HU then that's the way to go for sure. Just a lot to pay IMO but without knowing exactly what your getting for your $$$$ it's hard to know how well your money is being spent. Do you know the specific amp and speakers?

Old 07-28-2017, 02:14 PM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

They likely have the tool to flash for the sought after (Harley deleted) flash of 2 amps 8 speakers. Make sure they have the right tool to do so because when Harley updated the digital tech they removed that flash from the options.

That said for $1350 you're not far off from the setup I have (6 speaker, 4 horn, 3 amps, and a dsp:
)

Let the guys here know what you want and where and we'll be able to help you out. Forum sponsor BaggerAudioLab has the technology to flash your head unit to the flash above, he is in Miami and is working on a way to send in your head unit to be flashed (not sure if he can yet or not).

Old 07-28-2017, 03:15 PM
Sturgis67
Road Master
Received 117 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by SBates08
Correct, my mistake. Gotta use the right verbage, and listen to the masters. not me, LOL.

Old 07-28-2017, 09:46 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

On my way to Sturgis as we speak. Shoot me a PM and let me know when ur gonna be around. Would be glad to help with constructive commentary regarding any of the potential audio purchases u are entertaining while u are in SD.

T.

Old 07-29-2017, 05:58 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by matt76cmich
They likely have the tool to flash for the sought after (Harley deleted) flash of 2 amps 8 speakers. Make sure they have the right tool to do so because when Harley updated the digital tech they removed that flash from the options.

That said for $1350 you're not far off from the setup I have (6 speaker, 4 horn, 3 amps, and a dsp:
)

Let the guys here know what you want and where and we'll be able to help you out. Forum sponsor BaggerAudioLab has the technology to flash your head unit to the flash above, he is in Miami and is working on a way to send in your head unit to be flashed (not sure if he can yet or not).
See you been tweaking a little bit Matt!! Sounds dam good bro!!

Quick Reply: 2017 RGU, looking for the next level, nothing crazy