Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Sanctioned Audio Competitions!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 09:26 PM
BaggerAudioLab
Banned
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts
Default New Sanctioned Audio Competitions!!

Bagger Audio is growing and gonna grow even more fellas. DB Drag a competition circuit owned by the same folks that own the Term Lab mic (industry standard) have created "Bagger Beatz" a motorcycle class for their shows. DB Drag is conducted world wide and they've come out with specially mic for open air testing. The concept is that a bike will get measured for volume (SPL DB's) then an average of all frequencies the bike plays will be calculated so that bikes will have to produce a full soundstage and the average of the two scores is your final score. So think folks will be judged on volume and full sound. What's neat is they are going to seperate the classes by WATTS. I think whatever the 4ohm rating for the amps you run are the classes starting as small as 500w class.

What's even bigger news is that the car audio competition leader IASCA is ALSO starting a motorcycle class using a similar format but they will go by speaker count. IASCA getting involved is huge!

My personal thoughts....not sure how well this will impact actual builds when folks start building bikes to move a number on a meter regardless of how it actually sounds. I've heard bikes with outstanding meter numbers and great freqs averages that didn't sound all that great. Then the best sounding bike I heard all year put up average numbers on a meter. My thoughts are that producing BASS is the hardest to do on a bike so when a bike can produce 40hz and a real volume it's unrealistic to think that when taking an average that freqs should count the same as 1000hz. So we'll see how it goes....but one things for sure. This stuff is growing!!!!

Enjoy fellas.

http://www.termpro.com/dbdrag/rules/...&ClassFilter=0

The following 3 users liked this post by BaggerAudioLab:
2010blueultra (09-14-2017), Blue Dragon 2215 (09-13-2017), MoparBob (09-13-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 06:37 AM
MMXIWG
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Good news. Glad to see you on the forums Alex. Hope you, Henry and your families are ok after the storm.

Rick

Old 09-13-2017, 10:33 AM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

Good news that IASCA is becoming involved with bike audio, while volume is important, it must be accompanied by quality! Maybe they can help organize some of the mess I have seen at the 2 Baddest Bagger contest I witnessed. I think an empathize on sound quality is always a good thing, some of the bikes I heard at BB were loud but sounded like sh*t! When I was competing in car audio most people would laugh at the SPL guy's with their 18 inch woofers farting and rattaling their rides!...Glad to hear you and Henry weathered the storm down there!

Old 09-13-2017, 11:24 AM
BaggerAudioLab
Banned

Originally Posted by Moto Mike
Good news that IASCA is becoming involved with bike audio, while volume is important, it must be accompanied by quality! Maybe they can help organize some of the mess I have seen at the 2 Baddest Bagger contest I witnessed. I think an empathize on sound quality is always a good thing, some of the bikes I heard at BB were loud but sounded like sh*t! When I was competing in car audio most people would laugh at the SPL guy's with their 18 inch woofers farting and rattaling their rides!...Glad to hear you and Henry weathered the storm down there!

Mike the best sounding bikes are on the East Coast, everyone else is still playing catch up. The SOS serious really changed the sound quality standards for bikes but there were only four shows this year, lots of guys still think volume is king.

The downside with the scoring system is that the best sounding bike I heard ALL year registered a 127db on the Term Lab and the freqs were sky high around 30-50hz. So when you run an average on that bike the score wouldn't fare that well. This bike would lose in every category at one of these events and still be the best sounding bike I heard all year.

Old 09-13-2017, 11:47 AM
cpbedor
Road Warrior
Received 201 Likes on 165 Posts

How is another competition series going to make BAL grow? Just curious, I'm not sure how this all computes to the growth of a company.

Old 09-13-2017, 12:25 PM
Outkast6991
Road Master
Received 103 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by cpbedor
How is another competition series going to make BAL grow? Just curious, I'm not sure how this all computes to the growth of a company.
i think he meant bagger audio in general not BAL

Old 09-13-2017, 01:41 PM
cpbedor
Road Warrior
Received 201 Likes on 165 Posts

Oh you're correct. I should read more carefully! Doh

Old 09-13-2017, 02:07 PM
FLYINGBROKE
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

If audio company's are not coming up with new amp or speakers then just more of a tuning wireing shoot out .
Maybe competition should be something like
JL class they determine the speakers the amp's and then just let guys figure out best location EQ gains .and same for anyother vendors .
Then best in each shoot out against each other .this would push manufacture for better components .
I know nothing about these meets but reeding makes me thing it's more about wireing and setup with less on the actual components.
Good luck Bal either way it's what Tripps your trigger is all that matters.

Old 09-13-2017, 02:18 PM
BaggerAudioLab
Banned

Originally Posted by cpbedor

Bagger Audio in general brother....the DB Drag class is called Bagger Beatz!!

Old 09-14-2017, 11:25 AM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYINGBROKE
If audio company's are not coming up with new amp or speakers then just more of a tuning wireing shoot out .
Maybe competition should be something like
JL class they determine the speakers the amp's and then just let guys figure out best location EQ gains .and same for anyother vendors .
Then best in each shoot out against each other .this would push manufacture for better components .
I know nothing about these meets but reeding makes me thing it's more about wireing and setup with less on the actual components.
Good luck Bal either way it's what Tripps your trigger is all that matters.
Something like a JL class would be boring, everyone would pretty much sound the same. Different guys are passionate about certain brands that they believe in, and i think by now we all know that the different amps and speakers have their own unique characteristics. Being able to get the most out of what you believe in is a skill all in itself. Some of that is in the wiring and tuning, but being able to match up the components that work the best for the overall sound you are going for takes a lot of trial and error and know how of the different make ups of the amps, speakers, processors, eq's, RCAs, and even the wire itself..... not to mention the time of fabricating, calculating, testing, and keeping up with the family life.

With that said, any kind of extra attention in motorcycle audio is good for the general public. It will force the companies to cater, to an extent, to this market; and as consumers it will only benefit us.

The competition scene isn't for everyone. Me personally, i just try to keep impressing myself and really don't "show off" my setup much at all. This past weekend was the most I've "shown off" my setup since completing it. And after a few discussions and getting a better idea of my final end goal (which i hope i never make it to, cause that would get boring too lol) I'll probably be switching up a thing or two and it has a lot to do with these competitions pushing the limit and raising the bar. I would probably never attend a db event, but hoping to go to an SOS event next year and throw my hat in the ring just to see where i need to improve and hopefully learn a thing or two.

Quick Reply: New Sanctioned Audio Competitions!!